All About Gymnastics

Use this forum to discuss grooming sports and athletic talents

Gymnastics

Postby Kokko » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:31 am

Hi All,

Beside SSC, does anyone know of any Community Centre which organize gym class for age group of 4.5 years old.

Kokko
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby twilight » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:50 pm

I train at Junior Gym. Most of the coaches are from China, so if your son cannot understand Chinese it's a bit difficult. They can speak English, but preferred language is Chinese. The director of the gym is quite friendly, and he does go around helping out the different kids. The gym is a bit small though, considering the number of groups training at one given time. I've not been to prime, but I heard that the gym there is quite equipped and many overseas coach. Many of the more 'serious' gymnasts train there. And the price factor. Junior Gym is one of the cheapest gym around, $70 per month.

twilight
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby i3mum » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:54 pm

Hi twilight,

Do you mean Junior Gym is at Hwa Chong JC? What's the age group do you coach? As compared to Prime Gym on the facilities, is Prime Gym more equipped with equipment?

As for a 6 yo child in gymnastics class, may I know what do you expect the child to be able to do?

twilight wrote:I train at Junior Gym. Most of the coaches are from China, so if your son cannot understand Chinese it's a bit difficult. They can speak English, but preferred language is Chinese. The director of the gym is quite friendly, and he does go around helping out the different kids. The gym is a bit small though, considering the number of groups training at one given time. I've not been to prime, but I heard that the gym there is quite equipped and many overseas coach. Many of the more 'serious' gymnasts train there. And the price factor. Junior Gym is one of the cheapest gym around, $70 per month.

i3mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby BigDevil » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:57 am

Have you read through the Gymnastics thread?

BigDevil
ClassMonitor
ClassMonitor

Postby twilight » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:31 pm

i3mum wrote:Hi twilight,

Do you mean Junior Gym is at Hwa Chong JC? What's the age group do you coach? As compared to Prime Gym on the facilities, is Prime Gym more equipped with equipment?

As for a 6 yo child in gymnastics class, may I know what do you expect the child to be able to do?

I don't coach lol. I'm a student there. Yes, I'm referring to the gym at HCI. I haven't been to prime gym, but from what I've heard, prime gym has much more facilities and more well equipped with training aids. I know quite a few kids who after training a few year at Junior Gym, switch to go Prime Gym, and some coaches at Junior Gym, when they see their previous students, say they improved very quickly, and it's probably due to the better facilities they have there. But of course there are other factors contributing to how well you can progress.

I don't think the coaches have an expectations on the kids based on age group. Has your child been exposed to gymnastics? It's ok to start a beginner. There are beginner groups. Everyone has gone through the phase before. Just that once your kid starts training, the coach does have certain expectations for your kids. However there are quite a range of ages in any one group, like from 9 years old to 14 years old. So skills are not usually equated to age.

twilight
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby i3mum » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:02 pm

Hi twilight,

Thanks for your reply! Haha, for a moment, I thought you are a coach at HCI.

Yes , my kids are at beginner & also kindergym. So far, I just find them enjoying themselves, can't really see any skills from them yet. As what you have mentioned, maybe I should wait till they are older.

By the way, how long have you been in HCI for gymnastics lesson?

twilight wrote:I don't coach lol. I'm a student there. Yes, I'm referring to the gym at HCI. I haven't been to prime gym, but from what I've heard, prime gym has much more facilities and more well equipped with training aids. I know quite a few kids who after training a few year at Junior Gym, switch to go Prime Gym, and some coaches at Junior Gym, when they see their previous students, say they improved very quickly, and it's probably due to the better facilities they have there. But of course there are other factors contributing to how well you can progress.

I don't think the coaches have an expectations on the kids based on age group. Has your child been exposed to gymnastics? It's ok to start a beginner. There are beginner groups. Everyone has gone through the phase before. Just that once your kid starts training, the coach does have certain expectations for your kids. However there are quite a range of ages in any one group, like from 9 years old to 14 years old. So skills are not usually equated to age.

i3mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby twilight » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:52 pm

Less than a year. I just came Singapore this year. xD

twilight
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Gymnastics

Postby sleepy » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:06 pm

Kokko wrote:Hi All,

Can you give comments for the below 2 gym centres :-

1) Prime Gym located at Toa Payoh
2) The Gymnastic Training Centre (premises at Hwa Chong JC)

I will be bring my son (4.5 years old) for trial lessons at the above 2 gyms but prior to that would like to hear comments on the teaching method etc...

Thanks.

My kids used to attend the one at Hwa Chong, for > 2 years. If you treat gymnastics simply as another form of exercise, I think that gym school served its purpose and fees are reasonably cheap.

However, if you are looking to nurture your ds for competition, then they are probably not the most ideal school. I find them rather disorganied. After 2 years, my kids were still in the same class, doing similar exercises. They don't keep track of students' pogress and make no attempt to promote students based on abilities.

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Gymnastics

Postby Kokko » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:22 am

Hi Sleepy,

Thanks for your feedback.

I decided to bring my son to prime gym this saturday for the trail lesson (even though the travelling time is long !). Thereafter, I will decide whether to sign on with them.

Cheers.

Kokko

Kokko
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Gymnastics

Postby Funx3 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:30 am

Kokko wrote:I decided to bring my son to prime gym this saturday for the trail lesson (even though the travelling time is long !). Thereafter, I will decide whether to sign on with them.

Hi Kokko,

Just notice there will be a New Gym in Bukit Timah Plaza B2 - Gymnastic Education. See Link below :
http://www.gymnastics.sg/
Opening Launch on 5/11/10.
Looks like to b coach by Team S'pore Gymnast .....

You could try, and appreciate your review .....

Funx3
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to Sports, Fitness & Athletics