All About Gymnastics

Use this forum to discuss grooming sports and athletic talents

Re: Gymnastics

Postby mika_ling » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:19 pm

Can anyone advise if we try to switch the kids to schools that are providing artistic gym?

mika_ling
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Funx3 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:27 pm

mika_ling wrote:Can anyone advise if we try to switch the kids to schools that are providing artistic gym?

Wah mika! U Really Serious about AG Training for your Kid!

R U Talking about Boy? or Gal?
And How Old now?

Funx3
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby toffee » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:16 pm

Hi mummies and daddies

I would like to seek some advice. My 5yo dd has recently asked for gym classes after attending a trial at raffles gym. I'm torn between letting her take up what seems to be an elite sport vs a more common/less costly sport like swimming (my dd has yet to start swimming lessons as she keeps getting cold but I'm quite sure she would enjoy swimming classes too). As I am a ftwm, and dd is currently doing ballet and music on sat, any other additional class would have to take place on Sunday.

I will be sending dd to a primary school which offers gymnastic so the "ks" me is also wondering if it's beneficial to send her for classes now in hope she may join the school team in future :please:

parents who have gone thru this process of your kids asking for gym classes, can share your experience pls? Much appreciated!

toffee
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby meiah » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:42 pm

You not ks lah. I lagi worse! Hehe. My dd 3 only. My opinion only lah.. :wink:

My dd attended RGA before at 18 mths for about 2 terms and she loved it there. Up till today, she remembers that she could jump, run and roll, etc at the gym and she is also asking for lessons now. Whenever we walk past the gym, she will want to go in and watch the bigger girls do their routine. She watched quietly yesterday and she cried when she had to leave. :gloomy: So we will attend a trial class this Saturday.

Simlarly, my dd is also attending ballet and music class on Saturdays and the only available slot for gym class is also Saturday. But she will stop music class soon as she has music class in school and stuff she learns seems similar.

My dd may also likely go to a sch which offers gymnastics so I also have the same thoughts as you. However, I'm not sure if it is a good idea to join the sch team if she will not be a dedicated gymnast in future. The time spent for training and competitions is quite scary. I know a boy who trains not just for sch but also for nationals and he has no time for anything else.

For now, I think my idea is to let her enjoy what she is doing as it seems that it is what she likes best now. If she can join the sch team in future, then it might be a bonus if she can take the stress, if she can't, it'll be fine cos there are many other ccas that she could join. I would not force her if she really dislikes it by then.

She loves swimming too (read: play water :evil: ) but she would not mention it unless her uncle asks her if she wants to go. But for gym, she bugs quite frequently. :please:

I'm not sure, but I supposed whatever my kids have started on, I hope that they would carry on into school. I think that to start early is to give them an advantage over other kids but as they progress in school, sometimes this advantage may not be so evident after a while.

You may like to wait a while before deciding if you still want to sign your dd up for lessons. Just to see if she still wants it after a while. Mine is still asking after 1.5 yr!! So she'll be getting it. :rahrah:

meiah
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Yong HL » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:54 am

glad to see raffles gym (RGA) mums talking here. my girl is also with RGA. its good to start gym asap for the body to be flexible. to be in the competitive level, need to spend lots of time in training, not to mention the fees too :)
But if the kid is really interested and coach thinks the potential is there, and if time and $$ is not issue, then that will be best combination :)

Yong HL
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby phtthp » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:51 pm

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby phtthp » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:06 am

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Funx3 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:03 pm

Funx3
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jtoh » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:32 pm

Saw this about gymnastics on youtube. So sad. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjQCAIhx ... grec_index

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby phtthp » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:18 pm

gymnast use her foot to shoot the arrow:-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7p6gRNCcdk

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to Sports, Fitness & Athletics