All About Gymnastics

Use this forum to discuss grooming sports and athletic talents

Re: All About Gymnastics

Postby GreenBird » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:37 am

Not all primary schools have artistic gym.
Where can a lower primary student learn ag ?

GreenBird
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 161
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:22 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: All About Gymnastics

Postby GymKraft » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:20 pm

GreenBird wrote:Not all primary schools have artistic gym.
Where can a lower primary student learn ag ?



There are many privates clubs in Singapore offering AG.
You can check Singapore Gymnastics website:
http://www.singaporegymnastics.org.sg/s ... directory/

Note that not all the members have clubs/gym of their own.
Most of them operates in schools, which is not open to public.
You may want to check out GymKraft! :evil:

Cheers!

GymKraft
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:39 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: All About Gymnastics

Postby Pure Purple » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:41 am

Hello parents

Check out Prime Gymnastics or Singapore Gymnastics:
http://www.primegym.com/index.aspx
http://www.singaporegymnastics.org.sg/sg/

They are both .org not .com
I prefer non-profit organisations. We were with Prime at Toa Payoh. Facilities were great, culture was good too. We'd have continued if not because we are overseas.

With the professional organisations, they usually have both Artistic and Rythmic streams. So I think it is not a question parents need to worry when kids are at young ages? I expect the coaches to recommend what is best suited when the time comes, for example for streaming into competitive programmes.

May I ask if anyone has experience with primary or secondary school-based gymnastics? Whether it is wise to transfer to a school strong with Gymnastics CCA or whether it is alright for my girl to train with a club whilst attending a primary school without Gymnastics CCA? I'll really appreciate any sharing on views or experiences with School based gymnastics, especially for serious or competitive gymnasts.

Pure Purple
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:25 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: All About Gymnastics

Postby Pure Purple » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:43 am

Sorry I made an error there. Prime has turned .com?! But still a good gym I think.

Pure Purple
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:25 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: All About Gymnastics

Postby GymKraft » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:45 pm

Pure Purple wrote:May I ask if anyone has experience with primary or secondary school-based gymnastics? Whether it is wise to transfer to a school strong with Gymnastics CCA or whether it is alright for my girl to train with a club whilst attending a primary school without Gymnastics CCA? I'll really appreciate any sharing on views or experiences with School based gymnastics, especially for serious or competitive gymnasts.


School base gymnastics (CCA):
Pro: - Cheap per hour rate (or even free), represent school
Con: - Only a few top schools have it, may not be able to get into the CCA, school (and the gym service provider) are competition driven, which may not give your child a positive, holistic gymnastics experience, dont like the program must transfer to another school?...

Private Club base gymnastics:
Pro: - Can choose and switch clubs, more into well-being of gymnast (if your gymnast is injured, not joining = no fee), more fun
Con: - Dont get to represent school (means no CCA points), more expensive

The trend is for parents in School gymnastics to supplement their training with private clubs. And more than 90% of the gymnasts will tell you they prefer to train in the clubs as it is more fun compared to school.

IMHO :boogie:

GymKraft
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:39 pm
Total Likes: 0



Re: All About Gymnastics

Postby Pure Purple » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:05 am

Thanks GymKraft. Based on the information you provided, it seems to me less important to consider gymnastics in primary/ secondary school selection. Although it's true that it'll be a bonus if a child gets to represent the School as gymnast. Many thanks!

Pure Purple
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:25 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: All About Gymnastics

Postby sembgal » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:28 pm

Pure Purple wrote:Sorry I made an error there. Prime has turned .com?! But still a good gym I think.


Prime is more into AG. Customer service is good and have various classes for different age group. I went in to take a look once as I was curious what was going on inside PRIME.

For RG, need to look elsewhere that focus solely on RG only.

AG and RG are a world of difference.

If your child prefers ballet, RG could be a good complement. RG is mostly on the ground.

For AG, the child cannot be afraid of heights. Lots of balancing and bouncing and turning kind of activity. AG will move from ground into air and down on ground again.

Have to see the child's personality too before deciding AG or RG.

For example, Marymount Convent School do offer AG for (Pri 1) and RG for (Pri 2) to students during their Modular curriculum. Pupils get to choose to join CCA either for RG or AG if they show enthusiasm towards this sport.

sembgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 3018
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:36 pm
Total Likes: 40


Re: All About Gymnastics

Postby GymKraft » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:11 pm

sembgal wrote:
Prime is more into AG. Customer service is good and have various classes for different age group. I went in to take a look once as I was curious what was going on inside PRIME.

For RG, need to look elsewhere that focus solely on RG only.

AG and RG are a world of difference.

If your child prefers ballet, RG could be a good complement. RG is mostly on the ground.

For AG, the child cannot be afraid of heights. Lots of balancing and bouncing and turning kind of activity. AG will move from ground into air and down on ground again.

Have to see the child's personality too before deciding AG or RG.

For example, Marymount Convent School do offer AG for (Pri 1) and RG for (Pri 2) to students during their Modular curriculum. Pupils get to choose to join CCA either for RG or AG if they show enthusiasm towards this sport.


Yes, Prime is focus on AG. They are easily the most competitive private club in Singapore.

AG is so different from RG that it like comparing Boxing to Wrestling, Basketball to Netball, Badminton to Tennis, Muay Thai to Judo... you get the picture.

To sum it up simply IMHO, AG focus on manipulating own body on apparatus, while RG focus on manipulating hand held apparatus.

Great info on Marymount Convent. I understand one of their HOD is actually a FIG judge for AG. Thus, the strong push in the sport.

Cheers :boogie:

GymKraft
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:39 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: All About Gymnastics

Postby phtthp » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:33 pm

sembgal wrote:For example, Marymount Convent School do offer AG for (Pri 1) and RG for (Pri 2) to students during their Modular curriculum. Pupils get to choose to join CCA either for RG or AG if they show enthusiasm towards this sport.

@marymount school -
Are there any pre-requisites to join ag, or Rg?

================================
Townsville primary level 1 freehand
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=L5cUV0AC8BY

Townsville primary level 2 freehand
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vQhJAbPdnS4

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 15408
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:04 pm
Total Likes: 81


Re: All About Gymnastics

Postby sembgal » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:56 pm

@marymount school -
Are there any pre-requisites to join ag, or Rg?

AG and RG lessons are incorporated into one of the modules of the Modular Curriculum, something like PAL. Compulsory for all P1 and P2 girls to take.

If MCS girls want to take AG or RG as CCA (starting Pri 1) they have to go for selection trials if demand exceed vacancies. Only the best girls will enter School Team and the rest take it as Recreational.

If parents interested to send their children for RG at very affordable price, can consider learning at CC. Go to PA website search for RG classes. The cost to learn at CC is a fraction of private gym cost. One of the instructor is from the private gym but teaching in CC. You search and can find out.

sembgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 3018
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:36 pm
Total Likes: 40


PreviousNext

Return to Sports, Fitness & Athletics