Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

All About Gymnastics

Use this forum to discuss grooming sports and athletic talents

Re: All About Gymnastics

Postby phtthp » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:28 pm

Not many primary schools offer both (ag and Rg)
For those that do offer both -
Eventually need to specialize, choose one.
Because the training per week can be intensive, take up a lot of time, for either one.

Some schools offer only Rg, no ag.
Eg : Townsville, Anderson, (chij family of olgc, kellock ), st Margaret, pei hwa Presbyterian, Rgps primary.

Chij nativity don't have rg

Some schools offer only ag, no Rg.
The other way round
Eg: nanyang, mgs (bukit timah), ai tong primary.

And seems like different school hire different external professional coach to teach.
Eg: pei hwa hire "Flyonce" gym service provider
Last edited by phtthp on Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sembgal » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:38 pm

phtthp wrote:Not many primary schools offer both (ag and Rg)
For those that do offer both -
Eventually need to specialize, choose one.
Because the training per week can be intensive, take up a lot of time, for either one.

Some schools offer only Rg, no ag.
Eg : Townsville, Anderson, (chij family of st Nicholas, Toa Payoh, olgc, kellock ), Marymount convent, st Margaret, pei hwa Presbyterian, Rgps primary.

Chij nativity don't have rg

Some schools offer only ag, no Rg.
The other way round

Eg: nanyang, mgs (bukit timah), ai tong primary.

For Marymount Convent, both AG and RG are offered.

Agreed that training can be intensive especially if the girls are in school teams.

sembgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kittycat01 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:50 pm

Do the girls' academics suffer due to strenuous training? How do they cope with the school work if they have to train so often? For smart students, no problem. But what about those who need to work hard to get good results? Can they still be in RG and do well in studies at the same time? Coz they're really disadvantaged as they lack the time to catch up with their studies compared to their peers in other less demanding CCAs.

dd is shortlised for RG and I'm worried coz training is 3x to 4x a week. plus is already taking a graded dance class outside school on Sat.....

kittycat01
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby sembgal » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:03 pm

kittycat01 wrote:Do the girls' academics suffer due to strenuous training? How do they cope with the school work if they have to train so often? For smart students, no problem. But what about those who need to work hard to get good results? Can they still be in RG and do well in studies at the same time? Coz they're really disadvantaged as they lack the time to catch up with their studies compared to their peers in other less demanding CCAs.

dd is shortlised for RG and I'm worried coz training is 3x to 4x a week. plus is already taking a graded dance class outside school on Sat.....

I heard that RGS rhythmic gym training sessions more intensive than MCS. It depends on whether your dd has the interest and desire to learn. Time management will have to be learnt in order to catch up with school work.

sembgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kittycat01 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:12 pm

sembgal wrote:I heard that RGS rhythmic gym training sessions more intensive than MCS. It depends on whether your dd has the interest and desire to learn. Time management will have to be learnt in order to catch up with school work.

dd actually prefers Chinese dance but due to many students dsa thru this cca, there is limited vacancy hence she's not shortlisted. But she's shortlisted for RG instead. She doesnt mind RG but prefers Chinese dance. and I heard if appeal will affect CCA points.

kittycat01
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby sembgal » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:33 pm

kittycat01 wrote:
sembgal wrote:I heard that RGS rhythmic gym training sessions more intensive than MCS. It depends on whether your dd has the interest and desire to learn. Time management will have to be learnt in order to catch up with school work.

dd actually prefers Chinese dance but due to many students dsa thru this cca, there is limited vacancy hence she's not shortlisted. But she's shortlisted for RG instead. She doesnt mind RG but prefers Chinese dance. and I heard if appeal will affect CCA points.

Try appeal for Chinese Dance since it is your dd first interest. If really can't get into Chinese dance, can still try Rhythmic gym.

sembgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kittycat01 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:37 am

sembgal wrote:Try appeal for Chinese Dance since it is your dd first interest. If really can't get into Chinese dance, can still try Rhythmic gym.

thank you, sembgal...

not willing to appeal - that will be last resort as the school said appealing/changing CCA will affect CCA points. She said if she does not put a shortlisted CCA as first choice, it will jeopardise her getting a place there. Then if Chinese dance not successful, she'll end up in uniformed group which she doesn't want. That is her dilemma and she dared not risk it by putting Chinese dance first (though she really wished she could go in)

kittycat01
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby meiah » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:18 pm

Hi,

Anyone knows where to buy a ball for RG? TIA.

meiah
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby GymKraft » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:18 pm

kittycat01 wrote:thank you, sembgal...

not willing to appeal - that will be last resort as the school said appealing/changing CCA will affect CCA points. She said if she does not put a shortlisted CCA as first choice, it will jeopardise her getting a place there. Then if Chinese dance not successful, she'll end up in uniformed group which she doesn't want. That is her dilemma and she dared not risk it by putting Chinese dance first (though she really wished she could go in)

This is a good chance to talk to your child about life.
We cannot have everything we want in life.
But, we have to make do and give it our best, even though it is not our first choice.

It is never too old to try dance, gymnastics, sport etc.
I see a lot of passionate people starting gymnastics in their 30s.
Something which they always wanted to do, but could not in their teens.

IMHO :boogie:

GymKraft
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby kittycat01 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:15 pm

GymKraft wrote:
This is a good chance to talk to your child about life.
We cannot have everything we want in life.
But, we have to make do and give it our best, even though it is not our first choice.

It is never too old to try dance, gymnastics, sport etc.
I see a lot of passionate people starting gymnastics in their 30s.
Something which they always wanted to do, but could not in their teens.

IMHO :boogie:

Agreed...though it's easier said than done. But it's not too bad for my dd - she doesn't mind rhythmic gym (she just prefers chinese dance)

My dd eventually got in rhythmic gym (actually I'm surprised she's shortlisted/selected for it coz she has no gym background and she just started jazz dance outside of school 2 weeks ago). Hope she can cope with her studies as well....

kittycat01
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

PreviousNext

Return to Sports, Fitness & Athletics

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres