All About Gymnastics

Use this forum to discuss grooming sports and athletic talents

Re: All About Gymnastics

Postby Liliana pink » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:35 pm

kittycat01 wrote:
Liliana pink wrote:Hi

Anyone knows any rhythmic gymnastic classes for late beginners like about 14 or 15?

You might want to visit Gymnastics Education
http://gymnastics.sg/?page_id=18

if im not wrong they only offer artistic

Liliana pink
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Poonie » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:34 am

Hi Liliana Pink

My children have been learning RG. Perhaps I can help you out. Where do you live? I know of a few places that offer RG.

Poonie
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Honesty » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:21 am

phtthp wrote:Private gym lessons are ex !
Normally they charge around $70 per lesson, for 2 hrs duration.
if is 1 hour, they charge around $35 per lesson.
There is also a difference in fees charged, between enrolment in recreational gym vs. competitive gym lessons.

If you want recreational gym -
Crestar have.
Training fees are charged by per term basis.
The coaches are all Japanese.
They are gymnastic trainers, from JacPac.
JacPac train both (Japanese + local) students from young, in Rhythmic gym.
Can call up Crestar, find out both training schedule and costs.
(if keen)

If you want competitive gym -
Can visit either Bishan Sports hall or the former Singapore Badminton hall.
(located at Guillemard Road)
They charge by per hour basis.
I saw some coaches coaching girls from (Marymount primary, Chij Kellock primary, Chij Toa Payoh primary, Townsville primary).

Chij St Nicholas primary SAP school have their own big training hall for gymnastics.
All phase 2a alumni members from St Nick with (k1, k2) kids can join.
No need to wait until Primary 1 then join.
Because Chij St Nicholas primary have their own pool of in-house school teachers to teach, they do not need to hire external professionals.
Thus, their training fees are very reasonable.

The same applies to Nanyang primary.
NYPS also have her own big hall, for weekly gym practice.
All phase 2a alumni members from Nyps with (k1, k2) kids can also go and join. No need to wait until Primary 1. Training fees are affordable.

The same also apply to Ai Tong primary.
She has her own hall for pupils to practise gym.
Alumni members from Ai Tong with kindergarten (k1, k2) kids may also go & enrol.

Learning gymnastics in primary schools is cheaper.
Some schools charge around $180+ per term, while others charge around $ 180 per entire year; yet others charge around $ 180 per Semester.

Actually, few primary schools offer both AG plus RG, together.
So far, only two schools offer both (AG + RG) training.
They are Marymount Convent & Chij St Nicholas primary.
Some schools offer either one gym only.
Most schools do not offer gym.

Thus, if your child is keen / interested to join gymnastics -
may consider to enrol your child into those primary school(s) that offer gymnastics as a CCA, during Primary 1 July registration.

Example

Chij Nativity primary does not offer any gymnastics CCA.

============================================================

In contrast, Marymount Convent primary (MCS) is special, unique and rare gem.
She offer both Artistic gym (AG) and Rhythmic gym (RG) CCA.

MCS is going to build its own gym at its current site.
Marymount will shift to holding school, next year.

Holding school is the one currently used by Chij Toa Payoh primary girl(s) - as a temporary holding school, next to Braddell MRT.
It is great for Marymount primary to acquire brand new gym facilities, after their upgrading renovation.

@ Marymount Convent primary :-

For Lower primary recreational RG : training is once a week, 2 hours.

For Lower primary school team RG : training is twice a week, 2 hours.

For Lower primary recreational AG : training is twice a week, 2 hours.

For Upper primary school team(s) :
training can be intensive as 3 to 4 times per week : between 2 to 3 hours.

External professional gym coaches are hired by Marymount, to teach the girls.
Training Fees (affordable) = below $200, per Semester (paid every 6 months).

CHIJ Kellock offered both A Gym and R Gym too!

Honesty
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby phtthp » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:40 am

Dear honesty,

Thank you very much, for sharing that chij kellock primary also offer both (ag + Rg). :-)

My apology, to you.

Any other primary schools also offer both (ag + Rg) ?
Appreciate if parents may highlight.
Thank you.

Btw, Tao nan primary school said that wef 2014 :-
The school will no longer be running the artistic gymnastics enrichment programme, for her pupils.
Parents who are keen to enrol their child into Tao nan, may note this.

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Honesty » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:15 am

phtthp wrote:Dear honesty,

Thank you very much, for sharing that chij kellock primary also offer both (ag + Rg). :-)

My apology, to you.

Any other primary schools also offer both (ag + Rg) ?
Appreciate if parents may highlight.
Thank you.

Btw, Tao nan primary school said that wef 2014 :-
The school will no longer be running the artistic gymnastics enrichment programme, for her pupils.
Parents who are keen to enrol their child into Tao nan, may note this.

Hi Hi phtthp, no apology please ;)

Honesty
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby kittycat01 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:09 pm

my dd is in sec 1 this year and is in rhythmic gymnastics. She is keen to learn all the flips, cartwheel, ariel but her CCA this year only involves stretching, flexibility and some routines with equipment such as ropes and balls. Cartwheel will only be taught in sec 3 and she cannot wait that long. I'm trying to let her learn short term - maybe a month or so until she masters her cartwheels and flips. Is there such a course for beginners? Preferably during the holidays?

also, looking around for cheap tumbling mats but very hard to find in Singapore unless order through ebay. Anyone has second hand ones? Need something that does not slip or has friction/grip below the mat.

kittycat01
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Liliana pink » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:55 pm

Poonie wrote:Hi Liliana Pink

My children have been learning RG. Perhaps I can help you out. Where do you live? I know of a few places that offer RG.

Hi, I live in Bukit Timah. Thanks :)

Liliana pink
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Poonie » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:42 pm

Liliana Pink

Bt Timah.........ok I know of this coach who charges very reasonable rate and teaches near Coronation in one of the evenings. I will check with her if she can take you in for that evening class as that class are for more experienced gymnasts. Do you have some prior training or absolutely none? Are you in for recreation or competition cos she is coaching for competition. She will ask me these questions.

There is also Tiong Bahru CC where a reputable coach teaches on weekends. That class is more for recreation.

Alternatively you can go for private coaching by a former National Champion and judge. She teaches at Sengkang but may consider travelling to your place and do 1 to 1. Very patient and focused in her training. She also uses this VibroStretch Technique which is especially effective for late beginner as one will be able to do the split after 1 to 2 sessions on the Vibrogym machine. My daughter could touch the floor after 2 sessions when she was previously always a good 10cm away. Really frustrating for her. For the vibrogym facility you don't have to travel all the way to Sengkang. It is available at Newton.

Let me know which you are more interested in and I can let you have the contact details. For the coronation class I have to get back to you. Help me answer those questions above. Cheers.

Poonie
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby sembgal » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:56 pm

Liliana pink wrote:Hi

Anyone knows any rhythmic gymnastic classes for late beginners like about 14 or 15?

Try Raffles Gymnastics.

http://www.rafflesgymnastics.com

500 Upper Bukit Timah Road
(The Salvation Army Sport Centre)
Singapore 678106

Phone: (+65) 6838 4288

sembgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby GymKraft » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:43 am

kittycat01 wrote:my dd is in sec 1 this year and is in rhythmic gymnastics. She is keen to learn all the flips, cartwheel, ariel but her CCA this year only involves stretching, flexibility and some routines with equipment such as ropes and balls. Cartwheel will only be taught in sec 3 and she cannot wait that long. I'm trying to let her learn short term - maybe a month or so until she masters her cartwheels and flips. Is there such a course for beginners? Preferably during the holidays?

also, looking around for cheap tumbling mats but very hard to find in Singapore unless order through ebay. Anyone has second hand ones? Need something that does not slip or has friction/grip below the mat.

Hi

If your dd is in RG, cartwheel and flips are pretty advance move which will be taught only in the later part. Think of it as it is the Secondary level of the 10 years pri->sec academic curriculum.

If she is really into flips, she should be in AG. as it is taught early and is the fundamental of floor exercise.

The cartwheel/flips in RG and AG are also a bit different, as AG focus on power, movement and speed and RG focus on finesse control and short distance. This is to enable RG gymnast to be able to manipulate their hand held apparatus while executing their cartwheel/flips.

Learning flips requires long term commitment. It cannot be done in 1 month or so, and there is no way you will 'master' flip in short term. You can do the flips, but that does not means you master it (without point deduction in competition).

For tumbling mats, it can be customizes. And it depend on where you are using it. Size matters too if you are using it Indoor. You can try to reach Sun Sport at 9060 9981 and they can advise you better. I have personally purchase tumbling equipment from them, and they are made locally. (Support LOCAL! :wink:) Say GymKraft recommend it. As usual, I am in no way affiliated to them.

IMHO :boogie:

GymKraft
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

PreviousNext

Return to Sports, Fitness & Athletics