Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

All About Gymnastics

Use this forum to discuss grooming sports and athletic talents

Re: All About Gymnastics

Postby kittycat01 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:16 pm

GymKraft wrote:Hi

If your dd is in RG, cartwheel and flips are pretty advance move which will be taught only in the later part. Think of it as it is the Secondary level of the 10 years pri->sec academic curriculum.

If she is really into flips, she should be in AG. as it is taught early and is the fundamental of floor exercise.

The cartwheel/flips in RG and AG are also a bit different, as AG focus on power, movement and speed and RG focus on finesse control and short distance. This is to enable RG gymnast to be able to manipulate their hand held apparatus while executing their cartwheel/flips.

Learning flips requires long term commitment. It cannot be done in 1 month or so, and there is no way you will 'master' flip in short term. You can do the flips, but that does not means you master it (without point deduction in competition).

For tumbling mats, it can be customizes. And it depend on where you are using it. Size matters too if you are using it Indoor. You can try to reach Sun Sport at 9060 9981 and they can advise you better. I have personally purchase tumbling equipment from them, and they are made locally. (Support LOCAL! :wink:) Say GymKraft recommend it. As usual, I am in no way affiliated to them.

IMHO :boogie:

Thank u for sharing. Since AG is trained early is it still possible to pick it up when she's 12 or 13? I guess even if it's possible it's going to be tough especially she might not be able to find time to commit long term. But she's really keen.

I will try custom made mat at sun sport if price range isn't too high. :)

kittycat01
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby GymKraft » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:57 pm

kittycat01 wrote:
Thank u for sharing. Since AG is trained early is it still possible to pick it up when she's 12 or 13? I guess even if it's possible it's going to be tough especially she might not be able to find time to commit long term. But she's really keen.

I will try custom made mat at sun sport if price range isn't too high. :)

Hi

You can pick up gymnastics at any ages. My oldest student in my adult gymnastics class is at 61 years of age. There is no age limit in doing sports and keeping fit! Just like learning new things academically.

However, if you want to do the sport competitively, that will be a different story. As your competitors are all starting younger and younger. If you or your dd don't mind competing for fun and not winning, that will be SUPER COOL. Same goes for all other sports.

Keep your dd learning spirit going!

GymKraft
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby kittycat01 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:08 pm

GymKraft wrote:Hi

You can pick up gymnastics at any ages. My oldest student in my adult gymnastics class is at 61 years of age. There is no age limit in doing sports and keeping fit! Just like learning new things academically.

However, if you want to do the sport competitively, that will be a different story. As your competitors are all starting younger and younger. If you or your dd don't mind competing for fun and not winning, that will be SUPER COOL. Same goes for all other sports.

Keep your dd learning spirit going!

I asked my dd - she said she doesn't mind going for recreation or competition for fun (not winning). She wants to participate in performances too.

Only one problem - time is a factor. She is already having 3x a week RG plus outside jazz dance on saturdays. I told her I can't afford to squeeze anymore time for learning acrobatic moves, unless it's during the holidays. But as you mentioned, such skills can't be mastered in a short time during the hols. So I'm in a dilemma - I don't want stifle her love for gymnastics. yet I can't afford her to fulfill her dream at the expense of her studies.

She said she will try to practise at home, with the help of you tube? Is it dangerous to do without the presence of a professional? Are you an instructor at Gymkraft? Do you do 1 to 1 training?

kittycat01
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby phtthp » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:40 pm

If a child in primary school had never learnt cartwheel roll or somersault before (ie. never attend artistic gym before), then come to sec 1 and start to learn how to turn somersault on those narrow beam balance -
Is it dangerous ?

I mean ... At sec 1, the bones are not so nimble & flexible, as compared to a k2 or p1 child learning somersault.

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby GymKraft » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:29 pm

phtthp wrote:If a child in primary school had never learnt cartwheel roll or somersault before (ie. never attend artistic gym before), then come to sec 1 and start to learn how to turn somersault on those narrow beam balance -
Is it dangerous ?

I mean ... At sec 1, the bones are not so nimble & flexible, as compared to a k2 or p1 child learning somersault.

Hi

I have a 61 years old student doing cartwheel and dive roll in class, and he was never a gymnast. More of a bodybuilder. Dangerous? Definitely not under the right coaching (software) and mats environment (hardware).

Will there be injury? All sports carry some risk of injury. Even waking up and going to toilet has a certain amount of risk involved.

Not nimble and flexible? You do not need to be nimble and flexible to enjoy gymnastics. Just like you do not need to jump to enjoy basketball, or need to run to enjoy soccer.

GymKraft
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby GymKraft » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:39 pm

kittycat01 wrote:
I asked my dd - she said she doesn't mind going for recreation or competition for fun (not winning). She wants to participate in performances too.

Only one problem - time is a factor. She is already having 3x a week RG plus outside jazz dance on saturdays. I told her I can't afford to squeeze anymore time for learning acrobatic moves, unless it's during the holidays. But as you mentioned, such skills can't be mastered in a short time during the hols. So I'm in a dilemma - I don't want stifle her love for gymnastics. yet I can't afford her to fulfill her dream at the expense of her studies.

She said she will try to practise at home, with the help of you tube? Is it dangerous to do without the presence of a professional? Are you an instructor at Gymkraft? Do you do 1 to 1 training?

Hi

Dangerous without presence of coach? DEFINITELY! How can it not be dangerous without the right hardware and software (refer to my previous post)? Firstly, your kid may be doing skills way beyond her limit without the previous progression. Secondly, space and height indoor is a big concern. Unless you live in a palace like the lead character in F4 in Meteor Garden. :lol:

Yes, I have coached gymnastics for many years, from kids right up to adults. 1 to 1 training will not be cheap, as not only will you be paying for the expertise of the coach, the venue rental as well. An academic tuition teacher cost around $50 now, going to your home. For yoga, dance etc. 1 to 1 training, most places charge $100+ per hour. Our 1 to 1 is at $150 an hour.

GymKraft
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby kittycat01 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:41 pm

GymKraft wrote:
Hi

Dangerous without presence of coach? DEFINITELY! How can it not be dangerous without the right hardware and software (refer to my previous post)? Firstly, your kid may be doing skills way beyond her limit without the previous progression. Secondly, space and height indoor is a big concern. Unless you live in a palace like the lead character in F4 in Meteor Garden. :lol:

Yes, I have coached gymnastics for many years, from kids right up to adults. 1 to 1 training will not be cheap, as not only will you be paying for the expertise of the coach, the venue rental as well. An academic tuition teacher cost around $50 now, going to your home. For yoga, dance etc. 1 to 1 training, most places charge $100+ per hour. Our 1 to 1 is at $150 an hour.

No lah - we are staying in a HDB flat. But she's already trying cartwheel now at home and has so far been quite successful except her legs are not straight when doing it. She also tried to do hand stand. I will advise her against trying anything further than this on her own. so far, she asked me to hold one leg up as she stands on both hands and place both legs up against the wall. That's the furthest she goes.

as for the 1 to 1 coaching, it's really expensive. sigh...will see how.

By the way, her RG coach asked them to stand on their toes rolled up, as in stand and walk on the knuckles of their toes. It seems quite scary as she said she could hear her bones crackling. I mean the whole weight of the body is on the knuckles of the toes - wont it break her bones over time?

kittycat01
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby GymKraft » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:23 pm

kittycat01 wrote:
No lah - we are staying in a HDB flat. But she's already trying cartwheel now at home and has so far been quite successful except her legs are not straight when doing it. She also tried to do hand stand. I will advise her against trying anything further than this on her own. so far, she asked me to hold one leg up as she stands on both hands and place both legs up against the wall. That's the furthest she goes.

as for the 1 to 1 coaching, it's really expensive. sigh...will see how.

By the way, her RG coach asked them to stand on their toes rolled up, as in stand and walk on the knuckles of their toes. It seems quite scary as she said she could hear her bones crackling. I mean the whole weight of the body is on the knuckles of the toes - wont it break her bones over time?

Hi

This is the length sport or art can go to look aesthetically pleasing. Gymnastics as a sport has become so competitive that gymnast need to cross-train. Walking on knuckles of the toes to get that curve-in toes, you do that in ballet. It is not surprising female competitive gymnasts take ballet classes to complement their training. And it is the NORM now for all female competitive gymnasts to take dance classes.

Well, if you are concern about that now, you are 'not ready' to be a sportmens parents yet. Competitive training go to a very high level of intense training. Some training do shock you if you are not educated in the training of the sport.

Relax, ask your child to raise her pain/concern to the coach if she is uncomfortable/pain with the exercise. The last thing the coach want is to let your child have injury, which forbid her to train more skills.

GymKraft
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby sembgal » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:31 pm

Rhythmic gymnastics is a sport that combines elements of ballet, gymnastics, dance, and apparatus manipulation.

A child with ballet background will find that learning RG complements some of the ballet stretching exercise and dance move. It is an added advantage to learn both ballet and RG at the same time.

sembgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Monster Mummy » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:11 am

sembgal wrote:Rhythmic gymnastics is a sport that combines elements of ballet, gymnastics, dance, and apparatus manipulation.

A child with ballet background will find that learning RG complements some of the ballet stretching exercise and dance move. It is an added advantage to learn both ballet and RG at the same time.

I agreed that RG complement some of the ballet stretching and dance especially with the new ballet syllabus in RAD. I did see it help my child in her dance.

Monster Mummy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

PreviousNext

Return to Sports, Fitness & Athletics

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres