LEARNConcierge

All About Gymnastics

Use this forum to discuss grooming sports and athletic talents

Postby jedamum » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:36 pm

Yong HL wrote:Hi Aquamarine

my girl is currently training under Raffles Gymnastics Academy.. prev she used to train under Above & Beyond but somehow the 2 schools have merged i understand.. You can check out Raffles Gym Academy at http://www.rafflesgymnastics.com/home/index.aspx

Hope this helps :)

do you have the fee structure for Kinder programme at RGA?
do they let parents sit in if the kid is 3yo? TIA.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Yong HL » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:24 am

Hi jedamum

i do not have the fee structure.. actually, they do not really allow parents to sit in but if you really need to be there, they will permit so long as parents are not overcrowding the place..

Yong HL
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby mommyNg » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:56 pm

Hi,

My dd's primary school offers gymnastics as enrichment class (also CCA/school team for the more talented ones). I'm wondering if I should sign her up for enrichment class at her school next year or with others as some of you have suggested (e.g. Raffles Gym, The Junior Gym Training, etc.), especially with respect to the quality of training received. Of course, the enrichment class at school is the most convenient as it is after school and AT the school. But would the quality of instruction at a private gym be better (i.e. coach-student ratio may be better)? :?

Also, I tend to have this idea that gym classes at private gym may be more "fun", so more appealing for my dd... I have no experience at all, so would appreciate any advice.

Thanks! :D

mommyNg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Yerdua » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:09 pm

My feel will be tt the quality of a gym lesson will be the coach's ability to coach and motivate.

Whether if a pte lessons will be more fun, will also depends on the school/coach's style of teaching. Generally, pri kids will be gg for the routines training to gain mastery of each movement learnt. (can be boring if child is not interested/improving?)

But if i were you, i prob go for the sch's inhouse lessons first (not many sch offer this!) and ask my child if he'll like to take it to the next level outside sch hours.

jmho.... :D

Yerdua
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby jce » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:19 pm

My daughter is with Prime, close to a year now. In the non-competitive group. Teacher is nice, encouraging. The young ones in the competitive group is trained by a Chinese national, and can see she pushes them to the limit. Older ones trained by Australians.

jce
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby coolit » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:30 pm

Hi everyone,

I have been reading this thread and I am really interested in what you all are saying but I am quite new to this gym thing..is it like tumbletots? What are good gym places to send kids who are already about 10 years old and have never been to gym classes?

coolit
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby jce » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:36 pm

I believe the gyms mentioned here are the pro type, as in they concentrate on the disciplines of gymnastics. Tumbletots more of the play-and-learn type. Prime Gym at Toa Payoh has the competitive group as well as the non-competitive group. The competitive of course trains a lot harder and requirement a lot higher. The non-competitive teaches discipline and coaches do make sure that certain goals are achieved without pushing too hard. You can give google and give them a call. I know they have groups for the age group you're looking for but not sure whether they take in freshers at that age.

jce
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Gym schools in Bishan?

Postby momresource » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:25 am

I have read the threads but a little confuse. There seem to be a few schools in Bishan sports council or I heard that the place is closing down soon for renovation or something. Can anymore advice me as I am keen to check out the lessons for my kids?

momresource
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby coolit » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:29 pm

Hi jce,

Is competitive gym good? Is it too stressful for kids who did not start young?

coolit
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Yong HL » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:55 pm

Hi momresource
Yes, Bishan sports hall is closed for renovation until next year end. Most gym schools hold their lessons there but they have no choice but to relocate. You can check out this site for all the gym schools resgistered with Singapore Gymnastics : http://www.singaporegymnastics.org.sg/clubs.shtml

Hi coolit
in my opinion, it depends very much on what you aim for when signing up for gymnastics. If just for physical fitness, recreational class will be just fine. If after attending recreational class and the coach finds that he/she has potential, he/she will be invited to be in competitive team (you need to confirm with school as different school different policy). its better if the kid start young as their body are more soft and flexible for all the bending and stretching moves. Hope this helps :wink:

Yong HL
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

PreviousNext

Return to Sports, Fitness & Athletics

LEARNConcierge