All about Shooting

Use this forum to discuss grooming sports and athletic talents

All about Shooting

Postby 2littlemonkeys » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:17 pm

HI there,

Anyone with kids learning shooting?

Any experiences to share?

I am considering if to sign my boy up for the sports...

TIA!

2littlemonkeys
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: All about Shooting

Postby HappyBlueBear » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:33 pm

2littlemonkeys wrote:HI there,

Anyone with kids learning shooting?

Any experiences to share?

I am considering if to sign my boy up for the sports...

TIA!

I also wanna know :wink: I am signing my kiddos for shooting course after their exams for sure though. They tried it when we went to A Famosa. They shot down many bottles and had great fun.

HappyBlueBear
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby 2littlemonkeys » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:39 pm

Sounds like fun!!

I found this and they said only for P4 and above...

http://m.altiusglob.com/

2littlemonkeys
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby curious2011 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:28 pm

Yup, I visited Altius Global last year, and indeed impressed with the credentials, coaches & safety measures. Local authority ruling - must be P4 and above as advised by them.

They usually conduct Shooting classes for P4 and above during holidays. Check it out
http://www.altiusglob.com/#!junior-programs

Have Fun :imcool:

curious2011
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby 2littlemonkeys » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:14 pm

Anyone has signed up for the program and any feedback to share?

2littlemonkeys
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby adechg » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:54 pm

My son started at Altius Global in P5 last year, with the intention of applying to RI through DSA. The coaches had him try out both weapons, pistol and rifle, and found that he was more proficient in air pistol.

DS's coach is very dedicated, and the whole set-up is run very professionally. Knowing DS had potential, the coach put in a lot of effort to groom him, and had him participate in monthly shoots.

Be prepared to work hard; there were occasions where we were at the shooting range 4 times a week (each session being 2 hours). If your child has the interest, he would surely not mind the frequent sessions. We had to learn to balance his studies together with the practices. Upping the number of times he would shoot a week, when competitions were near, and then stopping or slowing down during school exams.

After a year plus of solid hardwork, DS secured a Confirmed Offer from RI for next year's admission.

adechg
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby 2littlemonkeys » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:59 pm

Happy for u!!
Anyone actually drop out from shooting?
Cost?
There's another place where they only take in kids from P4 for min 1.5yrs...
Junior Shooting Acedamy?

2littlemonkeys
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby adechg » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:08 pm

2littlemonkeys wrote:Happy for u!!
Anyone actually drop out from shooting?
Cost?
There's another place where they only take in kids from P4 for min 1.5yrs...
Junior Shooting Acedamy?

What do you mean "drop out from shooting"? If you mean stop halfway, I'm sure there are....

Cost depends on how many sessions you sign up for. Average about $75-$85 per session. Rifle shooters would need additional gear, their suit. DS's weapon is pistol, doesn't require suiting up, so I can't comment on that cost.

I've heard of the JSA, but IMO their track record is not quite up to mark.

adechg
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby tsksuper6 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:32 pm

Hi I am a newbie!

My P4 son has been training with Altius Global since March this year. We started off with 4 sessions during the June Holiday. My son has also been nominated by the school to JSA’s trial recently, but I have chosen for my son to stay with Altius Global, after much observations and findings with the regular patrons in SAFRA range for the past 2 months.

I will hate to peep through those glass door panes each time, wondering whether my son is safe and who are these coaches and what are they doing with my son. From my short experience with Altius Global I find that their coaches are frank, positive and qualified. They have not only instilled in my son a love for the game, but teaches him positive life lessons, including how to bounce back from failure. It really develop his self-esteem and he never want to miss his weekly training.

As a parent, I want to do the best for my son. I want to give him the best playing field/venue to unleash his potential to as high as he can in shooting. Even he did not meet his mark eventually or drop out half-way, hopefully not.

I may sound like I get paid advertising fees for Altius Global. But just want to share my thoughts as a parent.

BTW, Congrats adechg on your son getting into RI through DSA Shooting. Just for my info, can you share some insights in the RI’s Shooting DSA Trial; how and where is trial conducted? What preparation needed to be made? Is it very competitive; what is the total number of applicants? Do you how many Altius Global and JSA shooters had gain admission into the RI through the DSA this year?

tsksuper6
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby 2littlemonkeys » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:42 am

Hi!!

I heard from a friend that JSA is a MOE funded program run by SSA and MOE will pay for "basic training expenses". Which means there's no course fees involved but student has to pass their selection trial and 1 mth trial...

"Nominated by the school to JSA trial" means Altius Global nominated ur boy?

When Altius Global says P4 does it mean he has to be 10yo or just P4 regardless which month is he born in?

To enroll into JSA trial, child has to be P4(10yo)...

2littlemonkeys
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Next

Return to Sports, Fitness & Athletics