Use this forum to discuss grooming sports and athletic talents
cmm
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:1

All about Sailing

Post by cmm » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:11 pm

Hi there!

My P2 boy is starting sailing as a cca this year. Any parents out there with kiddos in sailing who can share your experiences? TIA!

Green_white
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: All about Sailing

Post by Green_white » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:25 pm

where is he learning?

cmm
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by cmm » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:41 pm

Hi Green_white,

Trainings will be conducted MOE Sea Sports Centre @ 9 Changi Coast Walk.

The pre-requisites on the acceptance letter from the school states that participants need to be proficient in at least one swimmimg stroke and be able to tread water for min 60 secs. My boy is able to swim, but I wouldn't say that he is a proficient swimmer. I dun think he can tread water either. :nailbite:

I'm getting pretty nervous about it now as the letter says lessons will be conducted in the "open seas", and "subjected to the uncontrollable elements of the weather like wind conditions and tidal conditions". I mean, are the students expected to be on their own out in the open seas on their first (few) lessons? :scared:

Just like to know what to expect from other parents with kiddos who have done this before....

sook
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by sook » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:36 pm

Hi, my girl is joining the sailing cca too. I am also quite nervous on the safety aspect. Can't imagine how my p2 girl going to handle this.

FantasyLandDreams
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:19

Post by FantasyLandDreams » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:54 pm

Imp75
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:54

Post by Imp75 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:16 am

What the article described is very true. Unless MOE stops incentivising the winning team, otherwise the ends matter more than the means in sports. Then again, coaches are also evaluated based on how the sch team performs at nationals, so if the coaches don’t push the kids to excellence they risk getting replaced. Do note many of these coaches are on yearly contract with the sch.

deardear07
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:36

Post by deardear07 » Fri May 04, 2018 7:59 pm

This competitiveness is across all sports. Good and bad for this young age. Sometimes, they excel when they are a little older when their physical bodies mature.

SeongheeKim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:12

Post by SeongheeKim » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:23 pm

Changi Sailing Club Open House 2019
https://www.eventbrite.sg/e/changi-sail ... 5075912807