All about Children and Sports

Use this forum to discuss grooming sports and athletic talents

Kid exercise

Postby super_dad » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:58 pm

My girl getting a bit overweight...like her dad. Any home exercise equipment for children? (I may use it once a while...keke)

super_dad
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby ChiefKiasu » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:44 am

Yuh... the stairs. Plentiful and highly available in HDB flats. Doesn't clutter up your own home. Works well too, you know. No need to spend hours jogging. Just up and down the stairs a couple of times a day. You can do it together with her too.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby super_dad » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:48 pm

Actually, the lifts at my block had a power trip sometime back. It was at night, and there was no other way to get home, other than climb the stairs.....and I live on the 18th floor.

Yep, good exercise. She can do it. I will take the lift. :)

super_dad
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby ChiefKiasu » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:53 pm

super_dad wrote:Actually, the lifts at my block had a power trip sometime back. It was at night, and there was no other way to get home, other than climb the stairs.....and I live on the 18th floor.

Yep, good exercise. She can do it. I will take the lift. :)

See... that's the problem with the whole get-healthy-with-exercise idea. I used to be conned into thinking that I can buy health by getting the latest health gadgets (that's why OSIM and OTO and other health accessories company started flourishing... then they started accumulating at home without being used. I've concluded the only way to exercise is to maintain discipline, and NOT buy the stuff. You are supposed to sweat and get tired when you exercise - that's how you lose weight the proper way and not through medication. And the simpler the exercise, the better.

I heard from a friend that if you want to either gain or break a habit, you keep doing or stop doing it for 21 consecutive days, and you will succeed. So far, I can't last even 3 days when it comes to exercising :(.

Maybe I should consider buying that horse riding thingy which claims you can lose weight simply by sitting on it - the couch potatoes' dream. I guess the way it works is by making you throw up your dinner regularly.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby phantom » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:46 pm

Gadgets doesn't helps if you don't have the perseverance to continue using it. I got a few of those gadgets, stop using it after a while. The most natural way to keep fit is to make your kid walk to school and other nearby places instead of driving. That helps to save the environment as well

phantom
Site Admin

Postby super_dad » Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:12 pm

Yeah, agree about the gadget part....no use one...

Now my blades are rusting in my storeroom.

Why is exercising so darn difficult? :(

super_dad
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby dragonball » Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:44 pm

When I was in Japan 2 years back, there is this craze with those step meter (not sure what the real term is), it is a device that keep tracks of the number of steps that you have taken.

Alot of Japs bought these devices to keep track and make sure they walked at least 5000 steps to be get enough exercise. Suppose this can be a useful gadget for the kids. Haven't tried it out though

dragonball
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby ChiefKiasu » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:27 pm

dragonball wrote:When I was in Japan 2 years back, there is this craze with those step meter (not sure what the real term is), it is a device that keep tracks of the number of steps that you have taken.

Alot of Japs bought these devices to keep track and make sure they walked at least 5000 steps to be get enough exercise. Suppose this can be a useful gadget for the kids. Haven't tried it out though

I think that thing is called a pedometer... comes with quite a number of those casio watches. I thought the in-thing is now the iPod+Nike shoe thing which has get GPS and music rolled into one.

The only gadget that I still use now is the waterproof MP3 player which I use for my swimming. It's really wonderful to listen to music while swimming... very peaceful and makes you forget you are exercising. The only trouble is keeping the plugs in your ears... keeps falling out.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby super_dad » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:51 pm

If I can't force myself to exercise...I will enrol in a dance class....kekeke. I think that is more fun than just running on a treadmill.

super_dad
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Kid exercise

Postby jedamum » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:17 pm

super_dad wrote:My girl getting a bit overweight...like her dad. Any home exercise equipment for children? (I may use it once a while...keke)

a set of skipping ropes is good for starters.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Sports, Fitness & Athletics