Re: All About Bowling

Post by spikey » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:43 am

nobody trying for DSA bowling?

bluemoon
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by bluemoon » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:58 am

Can anyone share with me using bowling cca to enter sports school. How many students/girls do they take in each year??

Also, is COE necessary? I heard the passing rate for intermediate is really low and some students took a few years to complete this level.

Thank you.

sob7
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:3

Post by sob7 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:50 pm

if your child can average 180-200+ regularly, taking parts inter pri sch tournaments the chances would be much higher.

spikey
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by spikey » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:28 pm

Sports School will generally take in about 5 girls and 5 boys every year - they can increase this quota if there are suitable candidates. The first few are generally selected on merit - critical events to do well are NAG, Singapore Int'l Open and Inter-primary Schools competition. If you do well enough during those events (1st or 2nd), you could be offered different grades of scholarships. The final few bowlers are selected after the first few have signed on. These final few selected generally achieve around top 10 for the competitions above.

In general, there are one to two trials at the Sports School bowling alley, with two to three interviews with the coaches, team and school management. The first trial filters out the main candidates who will then be offered a more in depth one hour trial with the coaches. Sports School is given the flexibility to offer DSA to candidates earlier than other schools.

Is your child thinking of trying for Sports School, MGS, TKGS or TJC?

What is appealing about Sports School is their academic curriculum - attend the briefings and they will explain to you in more detail.

spikey
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by spikey » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:31 pm

And COE is not necessary for admission into Sports School. COE is one of the feeder progs into the Nat'l Youth squad

Andychx
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by Andychx » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:21 am

Was playing bowling for about 20 yrs and a certified coach by US bowling congress few years back. Is hard to develop and cultivate a key interest in bowling as a long term sport as kids are only starting to explore. Alot of kids drop out due to no interest, lack of time, no key objectives, no motivation etc.. hence they turn to recreation bowlers or change sports. Also considering the fact that bowling is not exactly a affordable sport, new balls are always being introduced, 11/12/13/14/15/16lbs, strike ball, spare ball, types of balls used for synthetic lane or non synthetic lanes, ball pluggin, grid and re-grid, shoes changes due to wear and tear, bowling bags and gears, rental of lanes, if they switch from hooker to spinner you have to buy another new ball as drilling are different etc, is quite a considerable amount of investment. And parents sometime unsure how bowling can brings value to the kid in life, usually they cant. Bcos why, a huge percentage of kids are being measured in terms of academic excellence, sg is not like us can be a pro bowler as a career. In sg, i would view it as more of a recreation sport than competitve sport.

My 2 cents.

sob7
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:3

Post by sob7 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:47 pm

I agree with you statement more or less, but you have to give credit where its due.
Singapore bowling (amateur) in the world ranking is much better than most Singapore sports, there is a solid history and support level.

deardear07
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by deardear07 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:35 pm

what is a common number ball for a p5-6 average sized boy?

JessicaChang84
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by JessicaChang84 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:56 am

My girl is trying out for her school's bowling cca soon, at RSS primary. She really wants to get in, anyone got any suggestions?

bluemoon
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by bluemoon » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:46 pm

Get private coaching to give her added edge? I believe their sch coach is Agape so maybe you want to do training with them first?