StairClimbing (Vertical Marathon)

Use this forum to discuss grooming sports and athletic talents

StairClimbing (Vertical Marathon)

Postby mathsparks » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:16 pm

autumnbronze wrote:mathsparks,

I don't know where to post this, also don't want to start new thread unnecessarily... :D Need your advice, please.

I remember you mentioned that you do stair climbing ...

I want to try stair climbing as a form of exercise. Don't have time to go to gym regularly and this is something I can do rain or shine and most importantly, when DS is taking aft nap.

My quest is - are there any specific warm up exercises to do?? Is the warm up ex for jogging and brisk walking applicable for this type of work out??

TIA

I definitely think that stair climbing deserves a topic on its own.

It is the most convenient exercise available to most ppl here. We're surrounded by tall blocks, after all...and weather proof too...rain, shine, when kids are in school etc. No excuses.

I usually cycle or run to the tall blocks in Marine Crescent. Then I'll do some stretching, squatting etc. Sometimes, I'll do my regular run in east coast then continue with stair climbing before cooling down. So, I guess, you can climb either after warmup, after your run/walk; just listen to you body. You can pause as and when you wish...or you can speed up, too. It's just like running where you can start slow, do a sprint etc.

You can start your quest by climbing just 25 storeys up and then take the lift down. Slowly build up your stamina till you're able to do 3 to 4 times the entire block. Break the monotony by having your ipod with ya.

You'll definitely sweat buckets..and give your heart a good work-out..not to mention a taut derriere... :oops: You burn as many calories as running.
To set a goal for yourself, consider signing up for the annual vertical marathon at swissotel...You'll be rewarded with a great view of the city and a sense of accomplishment when you're done.

My recommendation is to climb up and then come down using the lift. Climbing down the stairs is very damaging for the knees.

Have fun, autumnbronze! All you kiasuparents out here, if your kid's away in school or you wanna start exercise, give stair climbing a go!

mathsparks
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby westmom » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:06 pm

Yah i know of one old couple who climb up and down the stairs (10 storeys and each time they go out on errands) of their block their whole lives . 70 & 80+ still climbing and no heart problems...
After hearing their stories, I tried by stopping the lift midway and climb up 5 storeys up (cos I am unfit mah) everyday after work. After a few months, got lazy (cos just want to hurry to reach home to whaalop dinner...hungry mah) and now back to square one....Sigh...

Suggest take it slowly first...start with short flights and then extend as your fitness increases...

westmom
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: StairClimbing (Vertical Marathon)

Postby autumnbronze » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:30 pm

mathsparks wrote:
It is the most convenient exercise available to most ppl here. We're surrounded by tall blocks, after all...and weather proof too...rain, shine, when kids are in school etc. No excuses.

I usually cycle or run to the tall blocks in Marine Crescent. Then I'll do some stretching, squatting etc. Sometimes, I'll do my regular run in east coast then continue with stair climbing before cooling down. So, I guess, you can climb either after warmup, after your run/walk; just listen to you body. You can pause as and when you wish...or you can speed up, too. It's just like running where you can start slow, do a sprint etc.

You can start your quest by climbing just 25 storeys up and then take the lift down. Slowly build up your stamina till you're able to do 3 to 4 times the entire block. Break the monotony by having your ipod with ya.

You'll definitely sweat buckets..and give your heart a good work-out..not to mention a taut derriere... :oops: You burn as many calories as running.
To set a goal for yourself, consider signing up for the annual vertical marathon at swissotel...You'll be rewarded with a great view of the city and a sense of accomplishment when you're done.

My recommendation is to climb up and then come down using the lift. Climbing down the stairs is very damaging for the knees.

Have fun, autumnbronze! All you kiasuparents out here, if your kid's away in school or you wanna start exercise, give stair climbing a go!

Hi mathsparks,

Thanks alot. The tip above (I highlighted in red) is interesting. Will keep that in mind. My block has 12 floors. Will do a double then ... ermmm once I have gained some stamina :wink: :wink: :D

autumnbronze
Councillor
Councillor

Postby autumnbronze » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:31 pm

westmom wrote:Yah i know of one old couple who climb up and down the stairs (10 storeys and each time they go out on errands) of their block their whole lives . 70 & 80+ still climbing and no heart problems...
After hearing their stories, I tried by stopping the lift midway and climb up 5 storeys up (cos I am unfit mah) everyday after work. After a few months, got lazy (cos just want to hurry to reach home to whaalop dinner...hungry mah) and now back to square one....Sigh...

Suggest take it slowly first...start with short flights and then extend as your fitness increases...

Thanks westmom :D :D

autumnbronze
Councillor
Councillor

Postby buds hubs » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:27 pm

Vertical Marathon....

Here are some tips:
- I would suggest that you take 2 tabs of glucosamine daily for at least a month
before attempting the vertical marathon. It helps to prevent/reduces pain on
your joints especially around and beneath your knee caps.

- Put on knee support/braces and heat rub.

- Take one step at a time rather than attempt to skip two or three steps.

Stairclimbing itself heavily stress your knees hence thats why its reccomended
that you take the lift down.. :celebrate:

buds hubs
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby mathsparks » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:58 pm

hi buds hubs, thanx for the advice on glucosamine. never thot of that..

as for the knee brace, i used to think it's for ppl who've injured themselves. Is it to for avoiding knee strains when we climb/run? Which brand provides comfort?..got sweat-proof/breathable type? Where can I get them? :thankyou:

mathsparks
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby blitz » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:52 pm

An embarassing encounter happened when I was in HK. I was at the Big Buddha - climbing up. The first 2 flights didn't pose a problem, but at the 3rd flight, I was panting and slowing down.

I passed an old lady (she looked around 70) at the 2nd flight up, and when I was panting and slowly climbing up the 3rd flight, this same old lady went pass me, steadily, all the way up. By the time I reached the top, she was already was infront of me, enjoying the sites.

blitz
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby mathsparks » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:12 pm

Hi blitz, lesson learn - pick up stair climbing for your fitness. :wink:

And I can put my stairclimbing training to use when I visit the Big Buddha nx week. Perhaps will race my siblings to the top...or maybe better to just slow down and wait for my parents to catch up. :pray:

mathsparks
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby blitz » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:59 am

mathsparks wrote:Hi blitz, lesson learn - pick up stair climbing for your fitness. :wink:

And I can put my stairclimbing training to use when I visit the Big Buddha nx week. Perhaps will race my siblings to the top...or maybe better to just slow down and wait for my parents to catch up. :pray:

Yeah, most times, the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak. :oops:

Have fun in HK. Its a long 268 steps climb up to the Big Buddha.

blitz
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby mathsparks » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:41 am

Thx blitz. Mr bros n I managed the climb. Even my 71 year old dad. But not mum, she said it's ok Buddha understds that she can't manage.

mathsparks
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Sports, Fitness & Athletics