Any Learn To Cycle Course For Children

Use this forum to discuss grooming sports and athletic talents

Any Learn To Cycle Course For Children

Postby Sniper Angel » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:40 am

Anyone have any recommend cycling courses for children? Imagine a family with 2 to 3 kids it is impossible to push 3 bikes at one time by 2 parents?

No more like our kampong days where we could learn ourself through trial & error. :shrug:

Sniper Angel
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Any Learn To Cycle Course For Children

Postby dash88 » Tue May 10, 2016 8:42 pm

dash88
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby MyBaby » Tue May 10, 2016 8:51 pm

MyBaby
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby dash88 » Fri May 13, 2016 10:24 am

dash88
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby jetsetter » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:54 pm

Mybaby, tried the one you mentioned at Farrer/Queens Rd, but didn't work.

Instead, the easiest way to learn how to ride a bike we discovered is to remove the pedals and let the child stride and glide on a gentle slope. It worked for my ds after a few attempts.

Guaranteed success for preschoolers and pri sch kids. Not too sure if it works for teens and adults, cos most teens would be overly conscious of how silly they might look when they 'waddle' clumsily on a metal horse in a public park!

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MMM » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:41 pm

Saw how my friend's young kids learnt to cycle using jetsetter's method (using bike without pedals). Too bad my kids didn't have it during their childhood.

We only taught them how to cycle last year (2 teenagers and 1 P4). For dd1, we brought her to the entrance to coney island where there is a long stretch of railing. We asked her to cycle by balancing herself with the help of railing. I recalled how I learnt how to cycle by holding on to railing at HDB corridor. She managed to learn how to balance after 2 separate occasions of practice.

dd2 took alittle longer being the youngest. We got the maid to accompany to a park near home everyday and help support her etc... So she took awhile. I tried the railing method on her too but it didn't work on her.

ds had a fractured wrist when the girls learnt to cycle. Once he was off the cast, he tried learning on his own and observed that he picked it up real fast. He was "speeding" being an amateur cyclist and soon learnt his lesson. dd1 made a sudden stop and he didn't stop in time. I literally saw how he did a somersault and ended on his face with bicycle and all.... Gave me a shock of my life but fortunately it was some cuts that healed over time. So I always emphasize on safe cycling to them.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby bebebub » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:11 pm

We had good experience with the owner of the bicycle shop at Queens Rd. My girls went thru 3 or 4 lessons. Once they gain confidence n could ride around the estate independently, we stopped their lessons n DH took over n practice with them. Now my girls goes cycling along the park connectors n even Pulau Ubin. Both were about 5 years old when they went for their lesson. Prior to that, they rode on the strider.

bebebub
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Grr_roxy » Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:53 pm

Hi,

A friend once told me that if kids played the 2 wheels skate scooter often, will help them with balancing and learning how to ride the bicycle. Not sure if this works but my youngest DC really learn to ride in her first attempt. My maid help hold her back seat and after 1-2 her later, she can really ride. And interestingly, she hardly even ride the tricycle (maybe around 3-4 times). But she played quite a bit on the skate scooter.
We had the non-pedal bicycle but DC does not like it. But this is also one of the way to try out before riding the 2 wheels. My second DC tried it and picked up also in his first attempt.
There is really no need to go for any school if you can bend down and help to hold the kids' bicycle while kid is learning to ride. It might be tiring for some of us because the back can be hurting.

Grr_roxy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Sports, Fitness & Athletics