All About Competitive Swimming

Use this forum to discuss grooming sports and athletic talents
Post Reply
audreymarilyn
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed May 06,

Re: All About Competitive Swimming

Post by audreymarilyn » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:58 pm

Hi dddcar,
You can get Fina approved competitive suits from world of Sports at Tanglin Mall. Arena & TYR main office. Online at proswimwear.com and rakuten etc
dddcar wrote:May I know where did you buy your FINA approved swimwear.

Looking for a girl small size pc.

Mny thks.

Chen Tai Tai
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Sep 23,

Re: All About Competitive Swimming

Post by Chen Tai Tai » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:29 am

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a good swim school around holland/bukit timah area? APS acjc & swim fast do not have any weekend morning classes available. Thanks!

Amyyyeo
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Dec 16,

Re: All About Competitive Swimming

Post by Amyyyeo » Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:08 pm

Hi I have a boy at the age of 9 yr old just finish swimsafer gold may I know after gold what shall he do next ? And I am also very interested to put him competive swimming or to go and take basic life saving 1 ? May I know which one come first ? He have been started swimming at the age of 4 yr old ...

SwimInSG
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Posts: 68
Joined: Fri Sep 09,

Re: All About Competitive Swimming

Post by SwimInSG » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:58 pm

Amyyyeo wrote:Hi I have a boy at the age of 9 yr old just finish swimsafer gold may I know after gold what shall he do next ? And I am also very interested to put him competive swimming or to go and take basic life saving 1 ? May I know which one come first ? He have been started swimming at the age of 4 yr old ...
Hi,

Competitive swimming is an option to consider, but it can be very time consuming and tiring for your son.

With regards to lifesaving, I recommend that he take Lifesaving 1 instead of Basic Lifesaving 1 since he can swim. Basic Lifesaving is for people who do not want to or cannot swim. I would think Lifesaving is more beneficial for your son as compared to Basic Lifesaving.

Lifesaving progresses from Lifesaving 1 > Lifesaving 2 > Lifesaving 3 > Bronze Medallion and CPR. Do note that to do Bronze Medallion, your son will have to be 14 years old in the year he takes the test.

Just some food for thought.

Cheers

junemum72
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Posts: 653
Joined: Tue Mar 15,
Total Likes:2

Re: All About Competitive Swimming

Post by junemum72 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:48 pm

SwimInSG wrote:
Amyyyeo wrote:Hi I have a boy at the age of 9 yr old just finish swimsafer gold may I know after gold what shall he do next ? And I am also very interested to put him competive swimming or to go and take basic life saving 1 ? May I know which one come first ? He have been started swimming at the age of 4 yr old ...
Hi,

Competitive swimming is an option to consider, but it can be very time consuming and tiring for your son.

With regards to lifesaving, I recommend that he take Lifesaving 1 instead of Basic Lifesaving 1 since he can swim. Basic Lifesaving is for people who do not want to or cannot swim. I would think Lifesaving is more beneficial for your son as compared to Basic Lifesaving.

Lifesaving progresses from Lifesaving 1 > Lifesaving 2 > Lifesaving 3 > Bronze Medallion and CPR. Do note that to do Bronze Medallion, your son will have to be 14 years old in the year he takes the test.

Just some food for thought.

Cheers
For life saving course, may I know where to learn?


SwimInSG
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Posts: 68
Joined: Fri Sep 09,

Re: All About Competitive Swimming

Post by SwimInSG » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:54 am

junemum72 wrote:
SwimInSG wrote:
Amyyyeo wrote:Hi I have a boy at the age of 9 yr old just finish swimsafer gold may I know after gold what shall he do next ? And I am also very interested to put him competive swimming or to go and take basic life saving 1 ? May I know which one come first ? He have been started swimming at the age of 4 yr old ...
Hi,

Competitive swimming is an option to consider, but it can be very time consuming and tiring for your son.

With regards to lifesaving, I recommend that he take Lifesaving 1 instead of Basic Lifesaving 1 since he can swim. Basic Lifesaving is for people who do not want to or cannot swim. I would think Lifesaving is more beneficial for your son as compared to Basic Lifesaving.

Lifesaving progresses from Lifesaving 1 > Lifesaving 2 > Lifesaving 3 > Bronze Medallion and CPR. Do note that to do Bronze Medallion, your son will have to be 14 years old in the year he takes the test.

Just some food for thought.

Cheers
For life saving course, may I know where to learn?
We have instructors at Ang Mo Kio, Yio Chu Kang, as well as Yishun swimming complex. We can help you find an instructor at other swimming complexes as well. You may wish to visit out site at https://www.swiminsg.com/singapore-lifesaving-lessons/ or contact us at 9432 7088. Alternatively, I will PM you as well. Thanks!

Jon Lium
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Dec 09,

Re: All About Competitive Swimming

Post by Jon Lium » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:43 am

Life Saving is great in helping the kids heighten their safety awareness around water.
If certification is important to you, then go for it.

Competitive swimming is a different pursuit. After my 2 kids joined competitive swimming 3 years ago, they have become more focused in the things they do. What was more obvious is their level of self confidence.

Do not be lured into a false sense of Guarantee that if you join the best or popular club, your kid will be guaranteed to rise to the top. Competitive sports doesn't work that way. What is most important is that the kid/swimmer respond positively to the coaches.

It is best to let the child attend trial lessons in a few clubs to see their respond. If they enjoy it, then its well and good. If they dread it....we will be the one dragging them to each session.

Whatever your decision. The child must enjoy that activity.

CHEERS!

Jon Lium
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Dec 09,

Re: All About Competitive Swimming

Post by Jon Lium » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:54 pm

Chen Tai Tai wrote:Hi,

Can anyone recommend a good swim school around holland/bukit timah area? APS acjc & swim fast do not have any weekend morning classes available. Thanks!
Jurong Country Club has classes on Saturday and Sunday morning. You may drop by to visit if your are keen.

SwimInSG
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Posts: 68
Joined: Fri Sep 09,

Re: All About Competitive Swimming

Post by SwimInSG » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:11 am

Yes, I agree with Jon that the child must enjoy the activity. I really dread seeing children being dragged to my lessons. If they don't enjoy themselves, they won't put in any effort in the class, and will not improve at all. In the end, nothing is achieved, and the parents have just wasted their money.

There are so many other sports that the child can take up. If swimming is not for them, try other sports. As long as you get them off the couch and their eyes off a screen ;)

zeemimi
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 2134
Joined: Wed Dec 30,
Total Likes:49

Re: All About Competitive Swimming

Post by zeemimi » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:23 am

swiminsg

For Lifesaving 1 > Lifesaving 2 > Lifesaving 3 > Bronze Medallion and CPR, what is the timeline we are looking at for a 14-15 yo competent swimmer? I checked out your website. Does it mean after 10 lessons, they will be ready to take Lifesaving 1? Thanks!

Post Reply