All About Competitive Swimming

Use this forum to discuss grooming sports and athletic talents
swimironkids
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: All About Competitive Swimming

Post by swimironkids » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:06 pm

Parents why stop your kids swimming at Swimsafer Gold?
After that what happen 6months down e road all the strokes goes haywire.
You bring them to the pool to swim but 10 out of 10kids will end up playing and having fun instead of practicing their strokes
Why not sign them up for Semi Competitive or Competitive
My competitive training at Sengkang Swimming Complex every Wed7-830pm Thur6-730pm and Fri 8-9pm
If you can’t commit to a swim club requirements of minimum 3-5x a week
Check me out cos my Training are flexible day and time to suit their school load without yr commitments.
In my training I will correct your kids strokes and focus to improve their timing for competition and also assist them to getting into school via DSA program. ( requires 3-5x training)
Text me Coach Jeff at 93887383 if you re keen and I will give u more details for yr consideration
U can also find me at my Facebook Page , just do a search swimironkidz u can find more information there.
Of course I hv Learn to swim classes at Sengkang too just incase :imcool:

summitdad
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by summitdad » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:25 pm

Looking for a semi competitive program for my 6 year old around Serangoon. Any suggestions?

swimironkids
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by swimironkids » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:39 pm

Competitive Swimming Classes at Sengkang open for new intake 2019
Flexible training to suit yr kidz school home work etc
Interested contact me

lag
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by lag » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:13 am

My son is 5 coming to 6 this year. He started learning swimming when he was 3. His current coach asked me last wknd if i am interested to try out competitive swimming for him.Obviously the coach see something in him that i dont..haaa

I am not prepared for his question at all. The thought of competitive swimming never cross my mind. I asked my boy. He is not keen for competitive. He says he sure will be the slowest so he doesnt want to compete.

Do you think i should push him a little and see if he can cope with more intensive lesson or just let him be..enjoying his once a week lesson?

My hub is not very keen.. for very practical reason.. my 5 yrs old boy looks like 4.. he is very small sized.. basically the whole family is small sized so the chances of him being tall/big is slim. He will loss out in size as he grow older..

Any suggestions?

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:102

Post by zac's mum » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:03 pm

lag wrote: ...
My hub is not very keen.. for very practical reason.. my 5 yrs old boy looks like 4.. he is very small sized.. basically the whole family is small sized so the chances of him being tall/big is slim. He will loss out in size as he grow older..

Any suggestions?
Same reason why we didn’t go down this route as well. Plus the kid himself didn’t want to.

If u read the story of Joseph Schooling, u would know that (i) the internal drive (want to) came from the kid himself. He was the one who woke the parents up at 4am and said take me to my lesson for training now! (ii) physically the kid needs to have an advantage. Eg JS was obviously suited from young to do sports. His mum said he started walking at 8 months old!!! (Normal strong, well-coordinated male babies reach this milestone at 10-11 months at the very earliest. Girl babies and late bloomers at 18 months old)

fable
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:8

Post by fable » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:10 pm

Our attitude is that competitive sport (not necessarily swimming) is an opportunity for a kid to develop grit - to fail at something, and discover in themselves (hopefully) the determination to continue to fight to improve. With our school system being highly intolerant of failure, this is a safe place to focus on growth rather than on winning. So while our son is not really supremely talented in anything, and even though his parents are not tall, we have encouraged him to pursue his interests - in music, academic subjects and various sports. It is unlikely that he is going to be world class (or even best in Singapore) at anything, but just striving to be better is, we think, a worthwhile cause. And will hopefully have a spillover effect on his academic endeavours and his life.

Just my 2 cents :)

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:186

Post by floppy » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:08 pm

fable wrote:Our attitude is that competitive sport (not necessarily swimming) is an opportunity for a kid to develop grit - to fail at something, and discover in themselves (hopefully) the determination to continue to fight to improve. With our school system being highly intolerant of failure, this is a safe place to focus on growth rather than on winning. So while our son is not really supremely talented in anything, and even though his parents are not tall, we have encouraged him to pursue his interests - in music, academic subjects and various sports. It is unlikely that he is going to be world class (or even best in Singapore) at anything, but just striving to be better is, we think, a worthwhile cause. And will hopefully have a spillover effect on his academic endeavours and his life.

Just my 2 cents :)
The best lesson in life is failure. Since we are intolerant of failing in school, failing in sports is probably more acceptable :wink:

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:102

Post by zac's mum » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:06 pm

I think u are mistaking the term “competitive sports” for participation in sports competitions. I’m all for exposure to races, matches and timed trials, winning and losing, and how to handle each.

But competitive swimming is a very different creature, which entails hours and hours of gruelling training, even for preschoolers. Why invest in such a sport if the kid ain’t keen? Might as well keep that skill for leisure pursuit and find some other interests to learn winning/losing at.

lag
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by lag » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:29 pm

told the coach we will just wait and see... anyway he is only 5 going 6.. let him enjoy his lessons first and we will see how it progress..

Irispeck
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Irispeck » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:57 pm

Hi, I have a 5 yrs old girl. Would like to start private lesson at marine parade condo. However I think private class alone will be lonely and boring. Anyone keen to let their kids learn with my daughter please pm me.