SwimSafer to replace NASSA

Use this forum to discuss grooming sports and athletic talents

SwimSafer to replace NASSA

Postby bboomer71 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:00 pm

Read in papers today that new scheme will be rolled out in July.

Anybody knows/checked with their coaches as to what this means for students currently training for the Nat Survival Swimming Awards? Eg. is NASSA now defunct with effect July? ALL current coaches going for conversion programme?

Water survival skills for kids
New scheme to replace Learn-To-Swim aimed at reducing drownings
http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNew ... 03963.html

bboomer71
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: SwimSafer to replace NASSA

Postby sakura_2009 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:11 pm

bboomer71 wrote:Read in papers today that new scheme will be rolled out in July.

Anybody knows/checked with their coaches as to what this means for students currently training for the Nat Survival Swimming Awards? Eg. is NASSA now defunct with effect July? ALL current coaches going for conversion programme?

Water survival skills for kids
New scheme to replace Learn-To-Swim aimed at reducing drownings
http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNew ... 03963.html

Alamak, what does that mean huh? My DS just passed his NASSA Silver test last Sunday. You mean now got to re-take another kind of test all over again?? :shock:

sakura_2009
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby vlim » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:29 pm

I feel that NASSA test training are pretty siong for my young kids..so after they got bronze...i stop them from the training... 8)

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby titank » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:56 pm

Like that all the NASSA certificates no value or not being recognise anymore?

titank
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: SwimSafer to replace NASSA

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:26 pm

bboomer71 wrote:Anybody knows/checked with their coaches as to what this means for students currently training for the Nat Survival Swimming Awards? Eg. is NASSA now defunct with effect July? ALL current coaches going for conversion programme?

According to The Straits Times today ...... Instructors will decide the SwimSafer level which their current NASSA students will be moved.

:sweat: so glad that my kids are done with all their NASSAs! So don't have to worry about conversion and such! :sweat:

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:36 pm

titank wrote:Like that all the NASSA certificates no value or not being recognise anymore?

I don't think so. I am sure they would still be recognised.

Postby titank » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:38 pm

So now is Swimsafer or NASSA which is of higher level? Maybe need to check with the Singapore Sport Council for clarifications.

titank
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:25 pm

titank wrote:So now is Swimsafer or NASSA which is of higher level? Maybe need to check with the Singapore Sport Council for clarifications.

Ya, wonder what is the rationale for changing it in the first place, after all, it's still a means to test one's swimming skills just that a different name is used. :roll:

Postby sakura_2009 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:12 pm

25hourmaid wrote:
titank wrote:So now is Swimsafer or NASSA which is of higher level? Maybe need to check with the Singapore Sport Council for clarifications.

Ya, wonder what is the rationale for changing it in the first place, after all, it's still a means to test one's swimming skills just that a different name is used. :roll:

Yar, precisely. They can always change the type of skills taught (eg. emphasize more on diving for open waters instead of butterfly strokes etc), no need to change the name of the test mah, very confusing leh... :?

sakura_2009
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:16 pm

Don't be surprised to read similiar comments in the papers the next few days.

Next

Return to Sports, Fitness & Athletics