Dangerous Sports / Activities

Use this forum to discuss grooming sports and athletic talents

Postby tankee » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:21 pm

for bungee jumping, to be safer, choose a reputable operator. It is "quite" safe, most if not all post zero accident records.

tankee
Site Admin

Postby Funz » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:38 am

I done bungee jumping in Australia and NZ. DH has done it in Bali. It is scary as hell but also exhilarating. I tend to think those in theme parks and those licensed operators that a lot of tour groups go to are safer as they have to ahdere to certain safety standards in order to keep operating. And I tend to think those in Aust and NZ have higher safety standards then those in Bali or Thailand.

Also did tandem sky diving in NZ. The experience of free falling and then floating high up in a parachute is amazing. Make you just want to float up there forever.

I went parasailing as well. Personally, bungee is the scariest. I guess cos for the rest, you are strapped in and at the mercy of other people. For bungee, you have to screw up your own courage to take that leap. I have seen so many people all strapped in only to back out. Took me 3 tries to take that leap the first time. Did not even have the breath to scream.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:02 am

Makes you wonder how come some people can just commit suicide by leaping off a building.....is that not terribly difficult to do?

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:15 am

naggy feeling because bungee jump is stressful on the heart, whereas other activities does not stress the heart so bad.

Postby Funz » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:12 pm

insider wrote:
Funz wrote:I done bungee jumping in Australia and NZ.

Funz,

Riding on your experience, would you allow your child (when he grows bigger) to do bungee jumping? Don't know why I have this naggy feeling about this activity and I told my son I m ok with parachuting but if he can, don't do bungee jump.

I did all these in my early 20s. In truth, I did it without my parents' knowledge. They dun even allow me to cycle when I was a kid. :roll:

Having been there and done that, I do not think I will stop my kids if they want to try. But I will insist that they go for reputable ones instead of some 2 bit operators set up on some bridge at some remote area.

Maybe you can do some research on bungee together with your son. How it came about, what it entails, statistic of injuries, famous bungee sites, etc. You might feel better after learning more facts or for all you know, after finding out more, your son might just drop that idea.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby schellen » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:18 pm

I think before you do activities that are "freefall", try out "thrilling" rides in theme parks first. I always thought it would be cool to do these activities but after a Viking ride, I realised that I have vertigo so I gave up on such activities. I also had a scary accident while abseiling so sashimi has banned me from such activities, which I don't find difficult to follow anyway. :wink:

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Funz » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:11 pm

Other thing I discovered is one's stomach for such adrenalin pumping activities is inversely proportionate to one's age. Mid-life crisis not counted.

In my teens I will go for rollercoaster rides and sit right in front. For viking, you will find me at the far ends, not the middle. In my 20s, bungee, scuba, sky diving, go-carting, you name it.

Now, just standing at the viewing deck of Rialto Towers, my legs go numb.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Guan Hui » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:03 pm

I did bungee and skydiving in NZ last year. Its wierd but bungee was much more scarier than the skydive.=/
Compare to skydiving.. bungee is a waste of money... the cost for skydive double the bungee.. however the in air time is more then bungee alot more folds.

However it is good to do bungee once a life time for experience sake :D

BUNGEE!!!!

Guan Hui
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: Dangerous Sports / Activities

Postby Kopiseesiewtai » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:24 pm

My son did bungee jumping in nz... It looks safe as there was a long queue.

Kopiseesiewtai
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Dangerous Sports / Activities

Postby jtoh » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:53 am

I would never bungee jump. There are cases of detached retina associated with bungee jumping.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Sports, Fitness & Athletics