Children Suicide Cases

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.
Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:119

Re: Children Suicide Cases

Post by Jennifer » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:19 pm

CHICC Profiling wrote:Hi

I also gave birth via elective c-sections. For normal delivery, DOB analysis is more accurate, as those are natural birth (baby chooses to come out at that particular time). For elective, most of the time, we would have chosen a 'good' date and time. What this means is that the baby may or may not be able to 'carry' the weight of such an auspicious time. So parents have to monitor the child as he grows.

Now u giving me another issue to worry abt :lol:

CHICC Profiling
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by CHICC Profiling » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:06 am

Yes, I have read the article too.

Behavioral issues, conflicts at home etc. Do parents understand their children, in terms of their character and personality? Do they have suicidal tendencies that they as parents should be mindful of? How can we manage conflict at home and build stronger family ties? Most family conflict can be minimized by having a greater understanding of yourself, and of your children and others. We hope to share with parents how they can create stronger family bond and better guide their children, among others.

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:24 pm

It is heart-wrenching to read of these suicides and we do not really know the exact reason that drove them to this dead end.

For example, the 14 year old year attempting suicide due to tuition......were there no symptoms that she detested tuition?

For the rest, I wonder if the parents know the pressures that drove the children to such actions.

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:43 pm

insider wrote:
ksi wrote:
For the rest, I wonder if the parents know the pressures that drove the children to such actions.

with this pressure cooker system, many kids may harbour the thought of "life is meaningless" and "不想活了" at some point of their young lives. They sulk and talk behind their parents' back.

For those who still know how to sulk, it's still not too bad. For those who prefer to keep to themselves, the psychological damage will be greater.

I think 'suicide' is a 'normal' thought among the youths that most will get over it and move on though a handful ones may act on it. The actual action is likely to be triggered with the right 'combination' of elements, such as a failed exam, teachers scold, parents scold, friends' insensitive remarks - all come at one go...

PS:
All not kids' suicides are academic related though academic maybe one of the main causes...

I believe a lot is to do with this spirit that I have been talking about. We raise children with a lot of talent but quite spiritless sometimes. I have a number of nieces and nephews, they will do the required in the system but they lack the spirit. If any idea is proposed to them, they will find more objections in it first before they can see the positive things about it. As an aunt, I speak with more gusto than them. Half the time, they look listless and reply in monosyllabic manner to anyone who speaks to them. They survived the education system but certainly not enjoying it albeit being in the uni now. In fact one of them excelled academically to qualify for medicine study but sadly failed the interview during registration. It was really a pity because I knew she could make it with a booster shot of spirit. The parents blamed it on an unfair system of recruiting doctors but I saw the lack of spirit. Given any challenge, they shy away and want to return to their comfort zone. I worry for them in times of adversity, I know when a storm come, they will be blown away...... *sigh* Is the rigor of the paper chase causing them to lose this spirit?

I hope to do it differently for my child. :pray: :xedfingers:

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:92

Post by phtthp » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:12 am

after the NUS High Sec 4 boy die -
it is high time for NUSH to start a team of counsellors and psychologists, to help pupils cope with issue and prevent future similar incident. It is also high time for the school to teach the pupils what is RESILENCE

to have suicidal thoughts so young at Sec 4 is ... shocking and alarming!
the pace of NUS High curriculum is demanding. At end of Sec 2, pupils are expected to complete the equivalent of Sec 4 O level work in a normal express Sec school. Some pupils inside the school may be struggling, yet dare not voice out to parents or classmates, keep to themselves ...

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:154

Post by Nebbermind » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:43 am

phtthp wrote:after the NUS High Sec 4 boy die -
it is high time for NUSH to start a team of counsellors and psychologists, to help pupils cope with issue and prevent future similar incident. It is also high time for the school to teach the pupils what is RESILENCE

to have suicidal thoughts so young at Sec 4 is ... shocking and alarming!
the pace of NUS High curriculum is demanding. At end of Sec 2, pupils are expected to complete the equivalent of Sec 4 O level work in a normal express Sec school. Some pupils inside the school may be struggling, yet dare not voice out to parents or classmates, keep to themselves ...

has the case been closed? Was it suicide or just speculation?

FantasyLandDreams
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:9

Post by FantasyLandDreams » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:59 pm

archcherub
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by archcherub » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:21 pm

always feel very heartbroken when i read a child suicide case in the newspaper. can imagine what the parents would live with.. i mean... they will be guilty forever. no matter what others can say, can support, at the end of the day, you would be alone at night and u will always think of your kid.
feel so sad.
hope that more can be done to prevent children suicide. i feel that in the army, we have a SAF hotline for people to call if they are in trouble

we should promote such a Child hotline for kids at all our schools, libraries and maybe saturday cartoons commercials lor

Ms. Ooi
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by Ms. Ooi » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:10 pm

Parents have to pay attention on every child's behaviour and attitude at home. If found something different, you have to send your child to see a counsellor/art therapist/psychologist to support her/him.

Carol222
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by Carol222 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:36 pm

I'm sure many children are suffering in silence. There are many help hotlines available. We need to put in greater effort to promote these hotlines to children and their parents.