Nail Biting Bad Habit

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.
LucyL
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Nail Biting Bad Habit

Post by LucyL » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:22 am

I know this sounds crazy but my DS was biting his finger and toenails it was gross.He is a huge Lego fan and I told him he would be able to separate the small Lego bits if he had longer nails like mummy and he hasn't done it since.know this probably won't help but maybe it was starting to focus on something else.

eytk
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by eytk » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:10 pm

My son had many bad habits including peeling his nails or skin around his nails, and funny facial expressions with his nose, mouth and neck. While these has stopped, he now has a new habit with his eyes. He winks his eyes. Not blink, but winks. It can be his right or left eye.

With previous bad habits, we just had to remind him and it soon disappear within 2 months. This time with the eye winking, it has continued for 6 months.

Anyone has any idea how to "cure" this?

AnneS
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by AnneS » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:46 am

Put the stop and grow stuff on, just a tiny amount on the tips of her nails. It wont hurt her, and she wont need it twice if she takes a nibble!! From then on, just use "fake" stop and grow. Use an empty nail polish bottle filled with sugar water it will feel like the stop and grow and use that.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin
Total Likes:320

Post by ChiefKiasu » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:58 am

I'm sure that is a momentary problem. My son had a pretty bad nail habit for many years, right up to JC. Then it stopped and I don't see it again. As the kids become adults they will behave more like adults :)

CalvinS
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by CalvinS » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:48 am

My son was biting his nails, and developed an infection around his thumb - it seemed little, but we were concerned. When we went to the dr. and it was tested, it turned out to be the kind of strep that could lead to that awful flesh-eating disease! Antibiotics cleared his up, but it was a HUGE scare.

Jann Phonics
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by Jann Phonics » Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:26 pm

We show YouTube clips that show those horrible worm-like parasites beneath the nails and if they bite their nails, they are swallowing the parasites.

alessandra66
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by alessandra66 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:41 am

Give him rewards each day he doesn't bite his nails until he gets off the habit. Hope i helped and Good luck!

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin
Total Likes:320

Post by ChiefKiasu » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:38 pm

alessandra66 wrote:Give him rewards each day he doesn't bite his nails until he gets off the habit. Hope i helped and Good luck!
I would agree with you.

1. He must be make the decision himself and be conscious of making the decision each time.
2. It must be continued for about 3 weeks until it becomes a habit for him. Then the habit will stick :dancing:

AnneS
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by AnneS » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:22 am

You may not see a change overnight, but with a little time and effort, you can bust your child's nail-biting habit. Try cutting them short. If there’s not enough nail to grab with your teeth, it won’t feel as satisfying when you give biting a try.

Kyrias
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by Kyrias » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:43 pm

Nail biting can be huge problem as ground for such behaviour can be various and is much more related to some psychological issues of insecurity. However, try to play sort of rewarding game as for example –if you don’t bite nails for a week, I will buy you a toy ( or something that he wishes to have)