How to train/ teach a kid to Reading and Learning?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.
Katherin22
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:4

Re: How to train/ teach a kid to Reading and Learning?

Post by Katherin22 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:37 am

First step is Letter Study. In terms of letter study, kids should be introduced to 2 new letters a week. The focus of letter study is learning the name and sound that each letter makes. The best letters to start with are the letters in a child's name. After that move on to letters that get used a lot--t, s, c, m, a etc...

Write you chosen letters on colorful construction paper. Then go through the cards with your child. Talk about the name and sound of each letter. Try to elicit the name and sound of the letters after a few days. Each week add two or three letters to your letter cards.

Increa-edu
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by Increa-edu » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:36 pm

I think the best way is to bring them to the library and let them pick up books that they are actually interested in. It could be books with lots of pictures, or books with riddles or interesting facts etc. Let it be unexpected and let their curiosity guide them and don't limit or judge them. they don't even need to finish reading all the books they borrow. just need to cultivate a sense of "reading is enjoyable and fun" instead of chore into them

Joanne25
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by Joanne25 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:46 am

I taught my oldest when she was interested in knowing what her favorite cartoon characters were saying on the pages. So I would sit down next to her and with my finger show her the words as i read them to her. I also showed her flash cards with words on them so when we would read the books again she would know some words. Try comics or sports magazines or some fantasy or scary books. What ever kind of movie he likes he'll want to read the books.

princeli77
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by princeli77 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:34 am

It's important because it defines their future

princeli77
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by princeli77 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:34 am

It's important because it defines their future

leien
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by leien » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:55 pm

I bought Chinese books that has reading cards, read and ask them to repeat till they recognise the words. Subsequently she is able to read the whole book. Is this kind of learning the old fashioned way? But not bad for a girl who resisted Chinese. Hehe.

Increa-edu
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by Increa-edu » Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:30 pm

leien wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:55 pm
I bought Chinese books that has reading cards, read and ask them to repeat till they recognise the words. Subsequently she is able to read the whole book. Is this kind of learning the old fashioned way? But not bad for a girl who resisted Chinese. Hehe.
whatever works works eh :boogie:

leien
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by leien » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:46 pm

lol that saying works.

leien
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by leien » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:46 pm

lol that saying works.

xingapore
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by xingapore » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:58 pm

i actually believe very strongly in using flash cards. But my son kept trying to tear them and its leychey to keep them properly. So I end up designing my own app to teach letters and numbers. Following from there also colours, shapes and counting.

it is super convenient for me because as and when waiting for food, or on MRT i just take out my phone and teach. Save time. Also I purposely design with no fanciful cartoons or distracting graphics, so my son can focus and don't get addicted and whine when I keep the phone.
Recently I just release the app to public for free.

This is how my app looks like:

Can download for free from here:
https://tinyurl.com/babycardapp