All About Puberty

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.
AnneS
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:3

Re: All About Puberty

Post by AnneS » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:41 am

Camcwq wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:25 pm
Hi Parents!

I have been interacting with my cousins and many female kids around pri 4-sec 1 and I realise that sex education in school are not sufficient in their content, would like to find out your thoughts if parents will be willing to send their children to external one-off classes that cover topics such as,menstruation and puberty changes?

Do voice your thoughts as I really would like to know! Thank you! :)

This sounds good. Would it cost anything or would it be for free? :smile:

ShaoYuan
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by ShaoYuan » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:30 pm

Hi! My name is Shao Yuan, my friends and I are working on a project trying to understand the challenges faced by parents of kids aged 9-12, including puberty and other big life changes. I hope that this is an okay channel to share this, and if it is not i will take this message down but We created this super super quick and easy 3 minute survey and would really appreciate anyone willing to share their experiences with us :)

https://harvard.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/f ... 2j2n8G8lTf

Do reach out if you have any questions or I can help in any way!😀
my email is shaoyuan_chewchia@college.harvard.edu

Gilian039
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by Gilian039 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:51 am

Puberty was awkward enough when I was going through it myself. I was hesitant if I can help my children go through it. Glad I found this thread and some articles online. Helped me a lot!

T.Yeoh
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by T.Yeoh » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:43 pm

If your child is early or late to puberty, be understanding and offer lots of reassurance and support. They may feel embarrassed but let them know everybody develops at their own pace.

mrs_see
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by mrs_see » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:17 am

I am also having a hard time understanding my brother's daughter. We have noticed that she always wanted to be alone most of the time and does not join her parents at dinner. I am her favorite aunt and I tried to ask her if what seems to be the problem, she only answers that there is nothing wrong. I could feel that she is telling the truth that she is not having any problems but we are worried that she is starting to build walls against her family. What can we do to bring back her back?

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:227

Post by slmkhoo » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:19 pm

mrs_see wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:17 am
I am also having a hard time understanding my brother's daughter. We have noticed that she always wanted to be alone most of the time and does not join her parents at dinner. I am her favorite aunt and I tried to ask her if what seems to be the problem, she only answers that there is nothing wrong. I could feel that she is telling the truth that she is not having any problems but we are worried that she is starting to build walls against her family. What can we do to bring back her back?
How old is she? It could be a passing phase, but it could lead to bad habits of avoiding the family. If you are sure there are no underlying problems, then you could get the family to work out a compromise - have a few non-negotiables but cut her some slack. For e.g., dinner could be a non-negotiable so she has to eat with the family, but she can be allowed to decline to join the family for some activities, and spend more time alone.

One thing to watch out for is whether she is accessing her phone or computer a lot while alone in her room. If so, her parents should find out what she is watching or reading, and who she might be communicating with. The family might need to impose rules like no computer/phone access in the bedroom, or that the door must remain open. Don't let her get into the thinking that she should have total freedom without some parental supervision.

Czeec80
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by Czeec80 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:14 am

How to do you manage the generation gap between you and your niece/child? I really don't understand the teens nowadays. My niece does not want to mingle with us and just wanted to stay in his room and spend more time with his gaming console. He feels bad and furious if he is reprimanded. He does not want his family to interfere with his routine. And he is only 15. :(