All About Teaching Values

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.
Rachel572
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:2

Re: All About Teaching Values

Post by Rachel572 » Wed May 08, 2019 12:09 pm

Jenny_Lim wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 1:02 pm
For me good values are very imfortant I am glad that My two kiddos have a great attitude,
I teach them even still young how to be a good person so they take it when they grow old.
We also need to be a role model because what they see even a bad or wrong they consider it right.
Its also imfortant that you choose a good and right school because they spend almost half of the day
in school. My kiddos are studying at https://stamfordscholars.com.sg/. I am glad that the services are be good they update me often about the progress of my kids. I can say the school also plays a big role how to teach a child a great values not onlyt parents.
Agree! We as parents should be a role model to our children. Children follow what they see from their parents. It's best we display the right attitude to them so they will grow old with the right attitude.

Karishma
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Karishma » Thu May 16, 2019 7:47 am

Hi everyone :). Just joined your incredibly supportive and insightful community. I'm so glad to read the posts in this thread and see that you all are as concerned about your kids' EQ as well as their IQ. A child's ability to understand their own emotions (and the thoughts/situations that elicit those emotions), recognise those emotions in others, and to self regulate are key to their future success and happiness. In my quest to champion this cause, I'm looking to build an educational app for kids that develops their emotional intelligence, and was hoping you all could give me some advice? I'd really appreciate it if you could fill out my short, 5 min survey:

https://www.allcounted.com/s?did=c6tb2j ... lang=en_US

Many, many thanks!

LucyL
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:3

Post by LucyL » Thu May 23, 2019 10:44 am

Karishma wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 7:47 am
Hi everyone :). Just joined your incredibly supportive and insightful community. I'm so glad to read the posts in this thread and see that you all are as concerned about your kids' EQ as well as their IQ. A child's ability to understand their own emotions (and the thoughts/situations that elicit those emotions), recognise those emotions in others, and to self regulate are key to their future success and happiness. In my quest to champion this cause, I'm looking to build an educational app for kids that develops their emotional intelligence, and was hoping you all could give me some advice? I'd really appreciate it if you could fill out my short, 5 min survey:

https://www.allcounted.com/s?did=c6tb2j ... lang=en_US

Many, many thanks!
I just took the survey! :dancing:

bluesky3000
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by bluesky3000 » Sat May 25, 2019 11:14 pm

make sure they see that HARDWORK pays off and there is no shortcut, make them know that the world isnt all pretty on the outside. Do not give them too much allowance, make them save for things they want.

JassyT
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:3

Post by JassyT » Mon May 27, 2019 10:03 am

bluesky3000 wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 11:14 pm
make sure they see that HARDWORK pays off and there is no shortcut, make them know that the world isnt all pretty on the outside. Do not give them too much allowance, make them save for things they want.
Agreed! In life there's no shortcut, we have to go through a lot before reaching the life you want. Experiences are the key to getting where you want to be. Too much comfort while young is not good, struggles will never be gone as you grow older.

Sheena8
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by Sheena8 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:34 am

Values in most families are never directly discussed. Most of us assume our children will develop values automatically, like magic. Teaching values consciously starts with considering what our values are and finding ways in daily life to discuss -- and live -- them with our children.

hxranmay5
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by hxranmay5 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:12 pm

does anyone know how long does the teaching license in Singapore needs?

Gilian039
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:4

Post by Gilian039 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:56 am

Parents tend to think that children are naturally loving and generous with their affection. This is true, but for loving sentiments to last, they need to be reciprocated. It's chilling to realize that over the course of a typical busy day, the phrase "I love you" is probably the one that a child is least likely to hear.
Let your child see you demonstrate your love and affection for the people in your life. Kiss and hug your spouse when the kids are around. Talk to your children about how much you love and appreciate their grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins.
https://www.parents.com/parenting/bette ... -age-five/

swortionery
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by swortionery » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:57 am

Gilian039 wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:56 am
Parents tend to think that children are naturally loving and generous with their affection. This is true, but for loving sentiments to last, they need to be reciprocated. It's chilling to realize that over the course of a typical busy day, the phrase "I love you" is probably the one that a child is least likely to hear.
Let your child see you demonstrate your love and affection for the people in your life. Kiss and hug your spouse when the kids are around. Talk to your children about how much you love and appreciate their grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins.
https://www.parents.com/parenting/bette ... -age-five/
Yup, the changes are subtle, but if you let your kids know how much you appreciate the little positive actions that they do, it will pay off over time. We shouldn't assume that kids will magically develop into wholesome young adults. External influences matter a lot during their developmental years; adults need to make them as positive as possible.

mondecoinmetier
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by mondecoinmetier » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:34 pm

In those times, our parents never teach us values. We all used to learn values from school. I remember those days, we learn what is right and wrong from 好公民 in school. What happen to those? Are they no longer in use? Children no more learning that?