Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

All About Teaching Values

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Re: All About Teaching Values

Postby buzzkoony » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:16 am

agreed, parent needs to lead by example, as kid learns from examples. From confucius, 己所不欲,勿施于人 “What you do not want done to yourself, do not do to others”.. always told my kid that.

buzzkoony
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby mum422 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:51 pm

JS rolling wrote:
terryyue78 wrote:Teach them to be a useful people. Teach them to fish not give them the fish

I absolutely agree. Kids should learn how to think of others, not just of themselves.It can be challenging at times, but I think the best way to do this is to do by it yourself.

haha not going against your saying. but my DD is too kind. I once saw her gave ALL of the seafood croissant sandwich to her friends! Now I gotta teach her to take care of her ownself first before helping others lol

mum422
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Snow24 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:19 am

Hi

How can we teach child values on integrity.

Snow24
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby zac's mum » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:55 am

"Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching." Found this quote on the good character card received by my son from his form teacher. I'm not sure what he did to earn the card, but could be returning a dropped pencil to the rightful owner's pencil case.

How to instill honesty/integrity? How about role play or in real life? Somebody drops a $2 note, you pick it up and chase after them to return it? If the child sees enough of such acts, maybe they will follow suit?

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby iceywind88 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:09 pm

zac's mum wrote:"Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching." Found this quote on the good character card received by my son from his form teacher. I'm not sure what he did to earn the card, but could be returning a dropped pencil to the rightful owner's pencil case.

How to instill honesty/integrity? How about role play or in real life? Somebody drops a $2 note, you pick it up and chase after them to return it? If the child sees enough of such acts, maybe they will follow suit?

these principles are to be taught ina very broad, generic manner. like fundamentally. only then the child can apply such fundamental values to specific events, or 'role play in real life' as you've mentioned

iceywind88
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby el_ninogold » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:44 am

ChiefKiasu wrote:So much has been put on academic enrichment that I fear we parents have lost track of what is more important - character development.

How does one instill good values in a child, such as honesty, self-reliance and perseverence? I think we all know that the best way to impart values and principles is to live them ourselves as parents, but supposed that's been done and it is still not working? What do you do?

Addressing the value of perseverance, some of the challenges a child faces that inhibit the building of this value would be overly challenging tasks, insufficient motivation, not being taught by parents and dislike for criticism. Increasingly, there is also a fixed mindset among children that leads to the thinking that their abilities are fixed.

Perhaps some ways that can be tried out would be breaking the tasks into smaller bits, praising the effort rather than the product and not to overreact when the child makes any mistakes. Focus should be on what the child learns and not just on completing the task. Parents should allow them to try things out for themselves, resisting the urge to do it for them. :smile:

el_ninogold
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby proton » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:22 pm

Snow24 wrote:Hi

A bit hard. Can use movie/drama scenaria?

proton
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby proton » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:23 pm

Snow24 wrote:Hi

A bit hard. Can use movie/drama scenaria?

proton
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby LucyL » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:13 am

ChiefKiasu wrote:So much has been put on academic enrichment that I fear we parents have lost track of what is more important - character development.

How does one instill good values in a child, such as honesty, self-reliance and perseverence? I think we all know that the best way to impart values and principles is to live them ourselves as parents, but supposed that's been done and it is still not working? What do you do?

Everyday experiences is the key. Especially when they are young, children learn best about responsibility in concrete situations. What they do and what they witness have lasting effects. As our children watch us daily, as we talk to them, encouraging their questions and trying to answer them thoughtfully, they begin to understand us--and we begin to understand them. Understanding each other well is the best way to teach our children respect for our ideals of good character.

LucyL
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby icekarchang » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:15 am

A big part of it is the shows they watch. I keep close track on the kind of shows they watch of tv, no violence or overly noisy/ unpleasant cartoons, and I'm proud to say that they are very self disciplined! They'll turn off the tv once those programmes come on. Kids learn by imitation, so don't let them watch anything you don't want them to become.

icekarchang
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

PreviousNext

Return to Working With Your Child

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres