Child's Worries - Worry the world is ending & about illn

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Child's Worries - Worry the world is ending & about illn

Postby daisyt » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:57 am

I don't know how many of your kids here are worrying about the world is ending, about 2012 predictions and the natural disasters?

This issue is always in dd's mind. I have even done research to prove to her the world is not ending in 2012 and show her articles on magazine too. She would be convinced for some time. Last night, when I was talking to hubby about recently so many volcano erupt and earthquakes, immediately she responded "You know why? Because the world is ending soon." After some discussion with hubby, we intended to tell her this tonight. "Due to the high access of media, we get to know so many natural disasters nowadays. Actually in the past, there were already so many disasters but not widely easily known to commoners."

She would still live normally and do ther daily stuffs but when something trigger on this issue, she would comment "The world is ending".

Do your kids take this issue seriously? How do you convince them or talk to them about this?

Do your kids voluntary ask for immune jab (eg. for hepatitis)? Worried they would get certain illness eg. cancer?

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:00 am

My child only has immediate worries, like how to get well when she is sick.

Beyond that, she is "take-it-easy, nothing flutters her much" type at this point in her life. Even exams have no impact on her.....
Maybe not as mature as your dd yet.....still blur.

Postby daisyt » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:06 am

I am thinking, is it she worries too much or I worry too much? My dd is in the teenage so maybe its common for them to think this way at this age? :?

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:13 am

As a teenager, if she is well aware of what's going on around her is perfectly great. As long as such worries does not result in depression, then it is fine. If it eats into her, then have to put it in perspective, otherwise she is just a sensitive child to what goes on around her, reflective perhaps as well.

Postby kiddo » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:42 pm

insider wrote:Not every teenager will ponder over such issues as many are happy-go-lucky kinds who live their lives on each day / week / month basis (different temperament). If she tells my son "You keep wasting waster and electricity, the world is coming to an end", my son will probably answer, "aiya, never mind lah, all will die together, ok wat?"

:rotflmao: chance upon reading this make me laugh after a Monday in the chaotic office..

Gals seem more attached to many things at a very young age like yours , boys bo chap kind....for boys the world is their playing field

Like my boy now 14+ when you ask him a serious question and repeat it twice he still reply " HUH?" sometme make me wonder if there is anything solid in his head ? :P or is he just an ah boy .... :shock:

kiddo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jedamum » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:58 pm

raining heavily yesterday when we were in West Coast Park.
while standing under the umbrella waiting for the dad, ds1 gave me the worried look:
ds1: i think i have been reading too many non-fiction books.
me: why? i thought that is good...
ds1: like now, i will think and worry what if the lightning strike.
me: don't worry. lightning strike the highest point. the trees first.
ds1: then the trees fall on us....
:|

when he was younger, he will get terribly upset (brink of tears) when his younger bro fall and hit the head just cos i shared with him the importance of protecting a toddler's head (talks on shaking may induce bubbles in the brain etc is freaking him out to that extent). like that how to let him watch 2012?

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby daisyt » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:33 am

jedamum wrote:raining heavily yesterday when we were in West Coast Park.
while standing under the umbrella waiting for the dad, ds1 gave me the worried look:
ds1: i think i have been reading too many non-fiction books.
me: why? i thought that is good...
ds1: like now, i will think and worry what if the lightning strike.
me: don't worry. lightning strike the highest point. the trees first.
ds1: then the trees fall on us....
:|

when he was younger, he will get terribly upset (brink of tears) when his younger bro fall and hit the head just cos i shared with him the importance of protecting a toddler's head (talks on shaking may induce bubbles in the brain etc is freaking him out to that extent). like that how to let him watch 2012?

2012 can be quite a influential movie and I think not suitable for your ds1 yet. It does change my attitude towards life a bit. Certain scenes are very sad ....

It takes us much consideration before allow dd to watch it and at the same time, we explained a lot to of stuffs to her. :D

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ruyu » Thu May 13, 2010 8:28 pm

this is my mindset : if gd wants to end my life i will let him

ruyu
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Worry

Postby Pen88n » Thu May 13, 2010 9:32 pm

My DS also talk about 2012 end of the world, but in a different perspective:

The other day he told his dad, 2012 the Mayan Calendar predicts will be the end of the world. So please tell mummy that PSLE results doesn't matter much, afterall the world is ending. :shock: (He's in P5 this year)

I told him that if I believe the world is really ending in 2012, I will stop working, take all our money to spend and enjoy ourselves somewhere out there. What happens if the world doesn't end by 2012? :!: by then, how?

Pen88n
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby joconde » Thu May 13, 2010 9:54 pm

Acutally i tot it's quite normal to worry abt such things. I remember as a girl, i was also like this, worrying about contracting illness, dying, turning blind, or becoming pregnant, ha ha ! Nobody told me that the world will come to an end then, so i had one thing less to worry !

Last yr when my son was p5, he also asked lots of questions about illnesses and diseases (cancer, H1N1, HFMD, etc). He's half-curious, half-worried. Eg, he'd ask how a person can contract an illness/disease, what are the symptons, how the pain is like, the cure, treatment, etc. Sometimes he really looked very worried, although he tried not to show it :lol:

What i did was try to answer his questions as much as I can, and as calm as i can. I tell him the facts, I don't try to disguise the reality. It wasn't a bad thing, though. I took the oppty to instill him the importance of hygience and healthcare knowledge. He then became interested in medical issues. He'd also become very interested when i show him news articles on medical or health research topics.

Now he seems to have out-grown it and doesn't talk about it or worry so much anymore.

joconde
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Working With Your Child