Morning School Schedule

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Morning School Schedule

Postby winth » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:05 pm

Now I am facing an upcoming crisis! :frustrated:
Our morning schedule is in a BIG mess, with our boys kicking and fussing and crying for their morning school rush.

How do you guys get your P1/2 to wake up?
- what time do they wake up and how long is the preparation time before the whole family moves out from home?
- what will s/he be responsible to do (so as to prepare for school)?
- do you people involved in the uniform/morning wash/breakfast feeding?
- what preparations do you do the night before so as to smoothen your morning rush (pack bag, pre-pack breakfast)?
- for those who have maids (what are the maids required to do for the child)?

If there is a similar thread, do refer so that I can read up.

winth
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Morning School Schedule

Postby sakura_2009 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:22 pm

winth wrote:Now I am facing an upcoming crisis! :frustrated:
Our morning schedule is in a BIG mess, with our boys kicking and fussing and crying for their morning school rush.

- what time do they wake up and how long is the preparation time before the whole family moves out from home?
- what preparations do you do the night before so as to smoothen your morning rush (pack bag, pre-pack breakfast)?

1) Wake up time - It depends on what time you need to reach school. Factor in the travel time (either by car or school bus) and work backworks. In our case, 45-50 mins is good.

2) Breakfast - usually simple breakfast like whole grain cereal with milk. Nothing elaborate - no time plus DS usually can't eat much in the morning.

3) Preparations - school uniform already hang outside wardrobe. School bag have to be packed the night BEFORE, cannot pack last minute in the morning, sure forget some things... :|

No maid - so its just making sure DS brushes his teeth, washes his face (5 - 7 mins), eat his breakfast (another 10 - 15 mins - he tends to take his own sweet time eating), goes to the toilet (depends but usually around 5-10 mins), change his clothes (another 5 mins), + some dilly dallying time (another 5 mins or so), then finally sits down to wear his socks and school shoes before heading for the door.... :D

sakura_2009
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby jedamum » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:33 pm

winth wrote:Now I am facing an upcoming crisis! :frustrated:

currently only ds1 is in the morning session.
- wake ds1 at 5.45am to go to the living room to sleep; so that he knows that he still has 15 more min to sleep. i go back to sleep after setting the next alarm
- wake him at 6am, place his uniform at the designated location, prepare breakfast and go back to lie down on the couch after setting the next alarm.
- he will join me when he finished his breakfast; around 6.30am; the faster he finish his breakfast, the more time he has to lie down and disturb me
- alarm goes off at 6.50am; open my mouth to remind him to dress up; he'll dress himself if it is PE day; i will help him tidy his uniform during other days (or occasionally help him wear).
- then we both lie down until the dad wakes up at 7am.
- then off they go at 7.15am and i go back to bed if ds2 is still sleeping.

come next year when ds2 will be in morning session, when he needs to be ready by 7.30am, i don't forsee any problem cos we already have similar structure at home regarding school days ie wake up milk, short tv (or computer), breakfast, short activity (reading, lego - tv and activity time is interchangable depending on what the kid request first), school time. key is to set alarm for each key activity so that kid knows that when the alarm goes off, it is Time!

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby MMM » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:56 pm

jedamum wrote: currently only ds1 is in the morning session.
- wake ds1 at 5.45am to go to the living room to sleep; so that he knows that he still has 15 more min to sleep. i go back to sleep after setting the next alarm
- wake him at 6am, place his uniform at the designated location, prepare breakfast and go back to lie down on the couch after setting the next alarm.
- he will join me when he finished his breakfast; around 6.30am; the faster he finish his breakfast, the more time he has to lie down and disturb me
- alarm goes off at 6.50am; open my mouth to remind him to dress up; he'll dress himself if it is PE day; i will help him tidy his uniform during other days (or occasionally help him wear).

Wow.... do you feel tired getting up and then back to bed and then getting up again after 10-15 mins? I feel that when I do that, I would feel really terrible after that.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby winth » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:26 pm

Do your DS1 get ready, dress up, wash up all by himself???
It was our initial plan when he first started P1, but I guess we merely thought it was okay for maid to do my 'wake-him-up' job and it went hay wire.

Now, there is over-reliance on the maid, plus maid can't handle DS1&2.
So now, dress up, wash up all by maid.
They just 'auto-zombi' till breakfast table.

On bad days when they sleep later the night before, they just kick a fuss and cry on the bed.

winth
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby winth » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:26 pm

jedamum wrote:currently only ds1 is in the morning session.

come next year when ds2 will be in morning session, when he needs to be ready by 7.30am, i don't forsee any problem cos we already have similar structure at home regarding school days ie wake up milk, short tv (or computer), breakfast, short activity (reading, lego - tv and activity time is interchangable depending on what the kid request first), school time. key is to set alarm for each key activity so that kid knows that when the alarm goes off, it is Time!

But u mean, the 3 of u will be out of the house, leaving DS2 asleep???
How can? Home alone?

winth
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jedamum » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:31 pm

MMM wrote:
Wow.... do you feel tired getting up and then back to bed and then getting up again after 10-15 mins? I feel that when I do that, I would feel really terrible after that.

MMM,
i am forever tired; dh attribute it to my restless nights; i dreamt every night and wakes up 2-3 times a night to attend to the kids or get away from their flying kicks or get more space as they like to squeeze in my bed (we are still co-sleeping).
so i can't say whether my tiredness is the lack of good sleep or the very short eyeshut. :wink:

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby jedamum » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:32 pm

winth wrote:
But u mean, the 3 of u will be out of the house, leaving DS2 asleep???
How can? Home alone?

:? did i typo error somewhere? i SAHM leh.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby jedamum » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:44 pm

winth wrote:Do your DS1 get ready, dress up, wash up all by himself???
It was our initial plan when he first started P1, but I guess we merely thought it was okay for maid to do my 'wake-him-up' job and it went hay wire.

On bad days when they sleep later the night before, they just kick a fuss and cry on the bed.

yes, ds1 will wash up by himself cos i am preparing breakfast (bread and jam plus milk).
he will dress up on PE days and i will help on uniform days, and maybe just once a week, i will dress him up cos he likes to be pampered.
it is more rowdy when ds1 and ds2 are awake together (at times ds2 will wake up early cos of ds1's yakking).
ya, on bad days, ds1 (even at P2) will kick up a fuss. he is especially particular that i wake him at 5.45 then at 6am cos any later, he claims, eats into his 'resting after breakfast' time.

your kid still pretty young la. so still have to go by their mood at times.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby winth » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:18 pm

jedamum wrote:
winth wrote:Do your DS1 get ready, dress up, wash up all by himself???

yes, ds1 will wash up by himself cos i am preparing breakfast (bread and jam plus milk).
he will dress up on PE days and i will help on uniform days, and maybe just once a week, i will dress him up cos he likes to be pampered.
it is more rowdy when ds1 and ds2 are awake together (at times ds2 will wake up early cos of ds1's yakking).
ya, on bad days, ds1 (even at P2) will kick up a fuss. he is especially particular that i wake him at 5.45 then at 6am cos any later, he claims, eats into his 'resting after breakfast' time.

your kid still pretty young la. so still have to go by their mood at times.

THAT'S THE SAME AS MINE!!!!
And my DS2 wakes up same time as DS1, that's when the whole drama starts!

winth
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Working With Your Child