When your child encounters a difficult word

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

When your child encounters a difficult word

Postby fo12eal » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:44 pm

When your child reads alone and when he encounters a difficult word, how does your child deal with the word?

Skip it without knowing it so as to continue with his reading but highlight it and will check the meaning later OR

Have a dictionary next to him whenever he reads so that as and when there's any difficult word, he can find out the meaning straight away.

Or is there other way your child is doing which is useful? Do share. Many thanks.

After finding out the meaning, will he write the new difficult word on a notebook?

fo12eal
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby EN » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:51 am

Hi

I've taught my kids to look out for new words in their every day context. While reading, if they encounter new words, they are to jot them down in their "Word Bank" book. The word bank book can be purchase from bookstore or you can just simply create one. After jotting down, they continue reading without finding out the meaning (interruptions can kill the joy of reading). When they are free, they are to look up for the meaning in the dictionary, jot it down in the word bank book & write down a sentence using the new word.

EN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ChiefKiasu » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:56 pm

EN wrote:... The word bank book can be purchase from bookstore or you can just simply create one...

I'm curious about this Word Bank book. Is it just an exercise book with special lines and columns? Can you get it at the Popular Bookstores?

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby EN » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:22 pm

I first got to know about it in RGPS booklist. It is just a blank book which is sub-divide in alphabetical order (just like the old days phone book). Beside buying the word bank book, we can use any normal blank book & create tabs to indicate A-Z. The best is to use a file since it is easier to add papers & buy the divider. To entice them, get them to decorate the book/folder with their favourite sticker, art creation etc to personalize it.

I'm not sure about Popular bookstore. I bought her book from http://www.pacificbookstores.com. For my son, I use blank book & create tabs.

EN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby fo12eal » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:17 pm

Thanks for sharing... I also thought writing down the new word somewhere first and continue with the reading. Otherwise it really does kill the joy of reading...

The word bank book (like old phone book) is a great idea. Also, once they fill up the entire book, wow that also means they have learnt that many words.

fo12eal
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby EN » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:32 am

Learning must be fun. Finding new words not necessarily through reading alone. Get the kids to open their mind to new words. New words can be obtain from songs, from news, from teachers, friends, advertisement etc. The word banks help to cultivate the habit of looking up the meaning in dictioanary.

EN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mumwgals » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:58 pm

Oooooooonce in a blue moon, my elder gal will ask me the meaning of a word. And most of the time, I dunno the answer, so I will call my hb or check online dictionary (faster). My gal loves to read her picture dictionary, so when she encounted an interesting word, she will write it in her note book. She also goes to this website and click 10times a day, every right answer she has she is doing a good deed.

My younger gal never bother to read.... :roll:

mumwgals
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby BlueBells » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:10 pm

My elder girl only checks the dictionary when she is doing her vocab homework. For her reading, we are teaching her how to deduce the meaning of the word from the sentence.

For my younger one, she ask for the meaning of EVERY word that she doesn't know. It's get a little tiring sometimes, because when I speak to her, I get interrupted with "what's the meaning of <word>?", then I have to explain before completing my sentence. On the other hand, sometimes, we will deliberately use big words while speaking to her so that she can expand her vocabulary.

BlueBells
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby mckenzy » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:56 am

my son devours books... we try to invest in good books as and when we see them on the shelves... reading helps develop alot of things but good composition is not one of them... so with that in mind, when my son reads, he reads for the pure fun of it... most of the the time he'll pick up the dictionary if the word is too difficult.

other times he just gets the gist of it and moves on...

mckenzy
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Return to Working With Your Child