Teaching DS (Lack Of Confidence and others)

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Teaching DS (Lack Of Confidence and others)

Postby xian_kai » Thu May 13, 2010 8:50 am

DS1 (6yrs old) does not seem to work well under pressure. Will tend to lose concentration or mess up, espically after being scolded (sometimes lack of patience when we have to repeat and repeat :oops: )

How can we improve on this? Let him be focus and more concentrated in his work, (noticed that when we are doing the questions with him together, he will fare better, if not he tend to be careless etc). Also, how to build up a child confidence and let him be more brave. Noticed that he tend to be timid too.

Thanks

xian_kai
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby jesschan » Thu May 13, 2010 9:29 am

Set small goals and be generous with praise. I think sometimes kids are afraid to make mistakes for fear of getting scolding....

jesschan
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Guest » Thu May 13, 2010 9:35 am

First you must establish his interest and let him do something he does best. Eg, Lego blocks. If this is what he does best help him establish his forte and know his strength. Then use his strength to build his confidence...there is always light when one knows what one is capable of. The journey becomes tough when one becomes purposeless n only driven to do things they may not like but it is a necessity to do eg. Studies.

Re: Teaching DS (Lack Of Confidence and others)

Postby Tri-mum » Thu May 13, 2010 5:17 pm

xian_kai wrote:DS1 (6yrs old) does not seem to work well under pressure. Will tend to lose concentration or mess up, espically after being scolded (sometimes lack of patience when we have to repeat and repeat :oops: )

Take it easy with him, he is only K2. I agree with Jesschan to set small goals and be generous with your praises to encourage him. When my gal did well on smthg, I will reward her with little cutie stuffs..a nice sticker or eraser will keep her happy for a long time :lol:

It's normal that kid tend to lose focus after a while. When he cannot concentrate maybe you can give him a 10min break, let him munch something and then continue later. You're not alone, my gal can even make careless mistake by looking at the picture and write the numbers wrongly :slapshead:

Tri-mum
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby tankee » Thu May 13, 2010 5:43 pm

jesschan wrote:Set small goals and be generous with praise. I think sometimes kids are afraid to make mistakes for fear of getting scolding....

IMO, more a case of kids are afraid to even try for fear of giving wrong answers or make mistakes and end up getting more scoldings.

tankee
Site Admin

Postby Akin » Thu May 13, 2010 6:01 pm

come on, take it easy. 6 years old kid only. think back, how well were we when we are6 years old??? should be worse compare to them now.

Akin
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby xian_kai » Thu May 13, 2010 8:16 pm

Thanks for the suggestions :)

Maybe I am too kah cheong spider :lol: Ironically, he concentrates really well when watching his favourite cartoons and playing his favourite :cry: V games :lol:

xian_kai
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Akin » Fri May 14, 2010 12:25 pm

children are all the same that when comes to the favourite cartoons programs or games, they're 100% forcus :lol: Just continue to teach with patience and they will be where they suppose to be. :lol:

Akin
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby mumma_bear » Fri May 21, 2010 8:44 pm

I guess we, parents, share the same sentiments. It's not easy to make our child concentrate on serious school stuff , it also takes a lot of encouragement and patience on our part. But for the confidence part, to develop a child's self-esteem is to praise him/her on the little things they do because I'm sure they're doing the best they could also. I agree, don't set expectations that you're child can't accomplish yet. Give him/her time to adjust, they need love and encouragement in order to excel. Hope it helps!

mumma_bear
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby sleepy » Fri May 21, 2010 8:52 pm

Find 'excuses' to praise him. That will help in his self esteem

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Working With Your Child