How to grow a plant in less than a week?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

How to grow a plant in less than a week?

Postby jacsplace » Thu May 13, 2010 9:21 am

My son's teacher wants him to grow a plant, such as chilli, onion, tomato or ginger. She stuck a note about in his communication book yesterday and he's supposed to bring it to school next Tuesday. I tried telling her this is too little time as I have to find the seeds, get the pot, get the sand, but she refuses to budge.

There are no plant shops near my home and office. There's no way a plant can grow in less than a week. Plus I've never grown a plant before. :stupid:

The teacher claims this is to promote parent-child bonding. To me, it's just stress!!!

jacsplace
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Guest » Thu May 13, 2010 9:29 am

Can grow bean sprout? This one is very easy n quick to see results n no need soil. In tandem go to the nursery like far east flora to check out seeds that easily germinates. No need to stress, stress already no positive bonding.

Postby autumnbronze » Thu May 13, 2010 9:40 am

ksi wrote:Can grow bean sprout? This one is very easy n quick to see results n no need soil. In tandem go to the nursery like far east flora to check out seeds that easily germinates. No need to stress, stress already no positive bonding.

Yes, agree with ksi.

DS and I did that and it grew really fast :D

autumnbronze
Councillor
Councillor

Postby jacsplace » Thu May 13, 2010 10:11 am

Taugeh, thought of it but the teacher said the plant is to be transplanted to the school's garden. Can taugeh grow in soil?

Anyway, my son wants tomato. My mil suggested lemon instead which he reluctantly agreed to.

I'll ask the teacher if taugeh can or not. Thanks very much!

jacsplace
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Akin » Thu May 13, 2010 10:30 am

yeah... within a week suppose only bean spout can make it but don't think it's strong enough to survive more than a week or tranfer to the soil in the school garden.

Akin
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: How to grow a plant in less than a week?

Postby mintcc » Thu May 13, 2010 10:43 am

what about Chilli? My mil just put left over seeds from the chilli she ate and put into a pot with soil and use the water from washing rice to water it.

Think the pots and soil can be bought from some market and supermarkets like Giant.

here are some article on how to grow them
http://www.thechilliking.com/growing/gr ... ers-guide/
http://gardening-for-beginners.blogspot ... chili.html

mintcc
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Guest » Thu May 13, 2010 11:15 am

Just to share. I saw some "instant plants" at Cash Converter at AMK the other day. Don't know how it works, don't know how fast the plant will grow, but looks kind of interesting.

It is basically a plastic pot like thing, with soil and seed or whatever is needed inside. Acording to the instructions on the packaging, just add water and watch the plant grow. Simple as that.

Of course I am a bit :| but it definitely looks and sounds interesting! :lol: Not a green person, so didn't buy it, but thought it really sound easy and interesting.

Postby cnimed » Thu May 13, 2010 12:00 pm

The teacher is not wrong. I don't think she expected you to grow the plant from seeds! Just choose an onion or Ginger that is already sprouting slightly and plant it. It will grow as long as you water it everyday, make sure the soil doesn't get waterlogged or it will rot.
cnimed
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby cnimed » Thu May 13, 2010 12:03 pm

Oh but if your son wants to grow from seed, use green beans. I did it with my toddler and then transplanted them to a pot. They are still alive. Use at least six beans if you are not sure, in case some die halfway. Again, give enough water but not so much that they start to rot instead.
cnimed
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby jacsplace » Wed May 19, 2010 5:24 pm

Hi all, thanks for your replies. My mil planted tomato seeds after all, as well as lime. The lime grew leaves first so my son has taken both to school. He doesn't seem very excited about the whole thing anyway.

jacsplace
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Next

Return to Working With Your Child