having nightmares after going to childcare

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

having nightmares after going to childcare

Postby osomum » Sun May 16, 2010 5:33 pm

My 2yrs old girl started attending childcare since the start of this month and has been having difficulty to sleep during the nites. She started crying at night after the first few days in childcare. The situation is not improving so I decided to stop her going to childcare overall.
Any mums out there face / also facing this problem before? How to comfort DD at night cos it is quite tiring to keep waking up at 1-2am and she won't go to bed till 5am... :cry:

osomum
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby mocharita » Sun May 16, 2010 10:53 pm

She’s probably being stressed up having to deal with the new environment. Have you ever ‘sit-in’ with her during the first few days in the childcare? I remember when I sent my child to a childcare centre. He was so excited. When he saw me looking at him through the glass door, naturally he wanted to wave and open the door, BUT, that in-charge teacher shouted at him, “ NO!!! CANNOT WALK,SIT STILL!!!”. He was frightened and realized the change of the environment compared to his usual at home. He was so upset and had nightmares for a month. I requested to sit-in for a week but 3rd day, he was ok but making sure I’ll be around if he needed me.

Have a word with the principal and voice out your concerns. Let it be known to them that you are aware and watching the progress of your child. If it fails, throw back the questions to the principal and the teacher-in-charge. ‘Why ar, my girl got nightmares after attending your childcare. In your years of experience as an educator, can you please advise me what to do, can?’ Well, it worked wonderfully for me but I am not suggesting that you have to use this tactic. It’s all depending on what situation you are in which I don’t know off. By golly, your girlie is only 2 yrs old. Some teachers lost their understanding because they’ve been dealing with 2 years olds day in and day out for years in their professions that they have forgotten to be gentle. It’s tough to talk it out with your girl because at this age, she’s still having problems expressing her unhappiness. Just remember though, she’s 2 and still a baby. Your scent is your girlie comfort because it means security to her. Good luck ;-)

mocharita
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby osomum » Mon May 17, 2010 7:07 pm

Hi mocharita
Thanks for the assurance. I did sit in for the first day of childcare followed 2 more days my MIL whom she is close to. But it turned out she didn't even want to change into her school uniform after a week there :cry:
She has stop going to childcare as of today, hopefully she will get better.

Plan to put her for enrichment class (2 hrs) instead... not so traumatise.. :pray:

osomum
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby mocharita » Tue May 18, 2010 10:59 pm

Hi Osomum;-)

All the best! 2 hrs for a 2 years old girlie is just nice. U’know, nowadays all kids are born with super IQs with parents like us..hee..hee!

She’s still a baby. Let her absorb the EQs from you and your the other half before entering MOE’s expectations.

I wish you well :-)

mocharita
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby mumma_bear » Fri May 21, 2010 6:40 pm

mocharita wrote:Hi Osomum;-)

She’s still a baby. Let her absorb the EQs from you and your the other half before entering MOE’s expectations.

I agree, I know that every child develops on his/her own time just as long as we guide them. But most 2 years olds are still not that vocally expressive yet or are still having problems on controlling their patience. I suggest you impose a home study where learning is mostly play with you and your partner. Let her develop her patience and own self-confidence before she enters a formal school environment. My DS is 2 and I don't think he's ready yet, so i prepare him now before i let him enter into something more formal. I hope this helps. I wish you well too!

mumma_bear
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby MOE Hater » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:15 pm

Luv ur pic, mumma bear. Soooooooo cute!!!! :lol:

MOE Hater
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Poohbear » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:53 pm

Hi,

Just like to share that i had experienced similar nightmares from DD1 when she started going childcare since 18 months. She is now in K2.

It was almost hourly that she will wake up to cry and this lasted for at least a month. It got better slowly once she got used school life. At N2, we changed her childcare due to move house. Again same thing happened. Nightmare again cos new environment. Took time to settle her in.

DD2 was more adaptable and didnt had this nightmare issue both at initial stage and when we changed her school.

Can understand your heartache cos the kid still so young and cry so much. But we had no alternatives, so we just had to bite the bullet and press on. :cry:

I hv also heard from frens with similar experience... things will work out eventually, press on :celebrate:

Poohbear
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby osomum » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:11 pm

my DD is in playgroup for a week now and she is adapting so much better than in Childcare centre :rahrah:

Though she still cry when she step into the playgroup, it only last for 5 mins :pray: felt so relief now that she is coping well in playgroup and it helps that the teachers seems well trained in handling children :love:

osomum
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby atfc » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:17 pm

osomum wrote:my DD is in playgroup for a week now and she is adapting so much better than in Childcare centre :rahrah:

Though she still cry when she step into the playgroup, it only last for 5 mins :pray: felt so relief now that she is coping well in playgroup and it helps that the teachers seems well trained in handling children :love:

good to hear! takes time for a child to adapt in a new environment. overtime that 5 minutes will be gone as well :)

atfc
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Working With Your Child