How do I minimise the damage my SPOILT nephew has on my kids

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

How do I minimise the damage my SPOILT nephew has on my kids

Postby on_plus_kiasu » Wed May 19, 2010 9:54 am

Hi,

I have a 5 year old nephew who has been spoilt badly and has turned out to be a very spoilt brat who is rude and loud. His parents have never taken him in hand and whenever I'm around, I'm the one who disciplines him. I have two DDs who plays with him whenever we go to PIL place. After we go home, I noticed my DD1 trying to imitate his loud and rude actions. My DD2 doesn't like his loud and rude behaviour and will avoid him as much as possible but she likes to copy DD1 so damage is still being done to my girls.

I try my best to avoid going to my PILs when he's there but I can't do that all the time. I reprimand my nephew all the time to the point where I think his parents think I hate him. I don't hate him just his actions and I can't blame him for it. His parents are the reason why he is like that.
As much as I can, i try to teach my girls the right behaviour. But whenever we meet up with him, i have to start certain lessons all over again. Btw, my DD1 is 2.5 years and my DD2 is 1.5 years so they are very impressionable.

:?:

on_plus_kiasu
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:56 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby tankee » Wed May 19, 2010 10:10 am

Here's the BAD news

The same thing will happen over and over again when your DDs go to Childcare \ Kindergarten and Primary School. From time to time, kids will mimic each other's rowdy behaviour for fun.

To me, constant reminders & explanations what is desirable behaviour and what is not, are necessary. Perhaps that's how parents become so naggy. :(

tankee
Site Admin
 
Posts: 17790
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:04 pm
Location: Singapore
Total Likes: 18


Postby hquek » Wed May 19, 2010 10:17 am

tankee wrote:
The same thing will happen over and over again when your DDs go to Childcare \ Kindergarten and Primary School. From time to time, kids will mimic each other's rowdy behaviour for fun.


True true. I'm constantly telling my son what his friend say is not right/not correct etc. Can die....I don't know why his best friend must be the resident Beng with a few older Brothers....can pengz.

tankee wrote:To me, constant reminders & explanations what is desirable behaviour and what is not, are necessary. Perhaps that's how parents become so naggy. :(


Yup yup. theoretically if they know this is undesired behaviour, they may not want to exhibit such if they want pp to like them. I think for girls easier...for boys, like mine, they will imitate just to irritate the hell out of me.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 6535
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:07 am
Total Likes: 70


Postby Blobbi » Wed May 19, 2010 10:49 am

tankee wrote:Perhaps that's how parents become so naggy. :(


Think you just described me :( . Got so many more years to go some more :cry: .

Blobbi
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1479
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:35 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby meeyah » Wed May 19, 2010 11:23 am

Imagine my toddler gal has now learnt to spit on the floor from her friends. I have been telling her not to, it is bad and illegal to spit on the floor. Sometimes she listens sometimes she would do it just to irk me. Bad things are so easily picked up...I ever asked her why don't you pick up the good traits from your friends instead of all the bad ones....She never answered me.

meeyah
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:56 pm
Total Likes: 0



Postby auntieM » Wed May 19, 2010 12:56 pm

My nephew was using 'f*' word with my boy when he was younger too..
I don't scold him, I just repeat what he told my son loudly and take my boy away..
Avoid contact and nag nag nag away...bo bian



:x

auntieM
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 3554
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:43 am
Total Likes: 2


Postby auntieM » Wed May 19, 2010 1:03 pm

meeyah wrote:Imagine my toddler gal has now learnt to spit on the floor from her friends. I have been telling her not to, it is bad and illegal to spit on the floor. Sometimes she listens sometimes she would do it just to irk me. Bad things are so easily picked up...I ever asked her why don't you pick up the good traits from your friends instead of all the bad ones....She never answered me.


When my DS repeated the spitting and rolling eye, he kena 'red ang pow' and has never done it again up to now.. in my presence that is.

It a slap, but not those that send one flying against wall hor...

Juz me $0.02 :wink:

auntieM
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 3554
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:43 am
Total Likes: 2


Postby meeyah » Wed May 19, 2010 1:15 pm

auntieM wrote:When my DS repeated the spitting and rolling eye, he kena 'red ang pow' and has never done it again up to now.. in my presence that is.

It a slap, but not those that send one flying against wall hor...

Juz me $0.02 :wink:


Wow, I don't think I would ever dare to try that... Have not lay a finger on her yet. My gal is also very petty ji 4 chow 2.

meeyah
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:56 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby auntieM » Wed May 19, 2010 1:32 pm

meeyah wrote:
auntieM wrote:When my DS repeated the spitting and rolling eye, he kena 'red ang pow' and has never done it again up to now.. in my presence that is.

It a slap, but not those that send one flying against wall hor...

Juz me $0.02 :wink:


Wow, I don't think I would ever dare to try that... Have not lay a finger on her yet. My gal is also very petty ji 4 chow 2.


One of the rare few times I just have to.. He spit at granny and made face :x
Last edited by auntieM on Wed May 19, 2010 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

auntieM
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 3554
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:43 am
Total Likes: 2


Postby on_plus_kiasu » Wed May 19, 2010 2:02 pm

Thanks all,

Haiyah... Must really accept the fact. :cry:

Both my family and my DH family say I very fierce one. All my naughty nieces or nephews have been :spank: by me. I'm very thick-skinned, not scared to shoot parents especially when they come over my house. But this nephew ah... :stupid: :stupid: :stupid: parents are more thick-skinned than me :frustrated. I :nunchuk: him infront of his parents and they didn't even bat an eye. Feel like :pokeeye: Relatives rarely invite their family to outings and all the other nieces and nephew avoid playing with him. Yes, he is that bad!

Okay, must accept fact that I am going to be a naggy mum. Repetition is the key to instilling good behaviour. I don't know what to expect when they go to CC this June.

:?: :?: :?:

on_plus_kiasu
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:56 pm
Total Likes: 0


Next

Return to Working With Your Child