Short Attention Span

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Short Attention Span

Postby heyhoe » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:16 am

My ds is 5 this year and he has been attending piano lesson for 3 months. According to the teacher, he has short attention span which I agree.

Can I know if I should let him continue with his lesson? or let him stop and restart if he's interested next time? :?

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

heyhoe
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby sleepy » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:41 am

Is he in a group lesson?
I feel that group lesson is more interesting for beginners and likely to hold chidlren's attention better

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby heyhoe » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:24 am

Thanks sleepy.

No, he's in 1 to 1 lesson.

heyhoe
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

short attention span

Postby allamanda » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:22 pm

hi heyhoe

I think you shld stop piano lessons for a period of time and focus working on his attention span.

I started piano lessons for my son only at 6+ as his attention span was short before 6.

As for my girl who has no attention span problem, she started her music lessons at 4.

try google for tips on how to improve attention span.
allamanda
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby heyhoe » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:40 am

Thanks, all. He's still with the same teacher. He lasted 25 minutes last week and I'm very happy. :D

I guess he needs lots of encouragements.

heyhoe
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby verykiasu2010 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:01 am

heyhoe wrote:Thanks sleepy.

No, he's in 1 to 1 lesson.

too young for 1 to 1 lesson

at age 5, you don't expect him to sit still and play / learn the piano for half an hour !!

group lessons allow for interaction and less boredom and after he has progressed and grows in interest in the instrument, then introduce 1 to 1 lesson
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby smurf » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:21 am

my 5 YO boy also has short attention span. he is K2 now, and whenever I read to him,he wiould be very restless. and ssometimes, even after 1-2 mins (of me reading), he will yawn and look up and down. he will also look away from the book, fiddle with something he can find on his hand. :cry:

I dunno what to do, I dun expect him to read by himself, but me reading to him, also cannot. :pray:

smurf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Sun_2010 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:30 am

smurf wrote:my 5 YO boy also has short attention span. he is K2 now, and whenever I read to him,he wiould be very restless. and ssometimes, even after 1-2 mins (of me reading), he will yawn and look up and down. he will also look away from the book, fiddle with something he can find on his hand. :cry:

I dunno what to do, I dun expect him to read by himself, but me reading to him, also cannot. :pray:

May be the problem is that you are reading to him. His nmind is free to wander. He may not even be involved( at a mental level)
Just some tips:

1. are u reading bcos he wants u to or bcos its a good and a very essential habit?

2. Did he get to choose the book? U may need to get books that he likes - something on wheels, planes, space, anything topic that fascinates him. NLB is a treasure house, get him to choose the book.

3. If he can read words or short sentences? if so make sure for every page he reads one sentence or a few words as much as he can comfortable do. May be you could point to a slightly diff word for him and get him sound it out "syllabilically". Lower the bar till it is just a wee bit out of his reach.

4.Start in short sessions. When he is tuning out stop. Maybe a minium of 5 mins. Do again later if you can. Once he does his part well, a tiny weeny reward may make things attractive for him

5. Most important that i tend to forget when dealing with kids is -
Its not me AGAINST the kid.
It is me WITH them.
Together we can. :celebrate:

All said, it will be emotionally draining... be mentally prepared. Take it easy. Small steps. The effect may take time, make it enjoyable.

Gtg, will be back on some tips on improving attention span later

Sun_2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby heyhoe » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:30 am

smurf wrote:my 5 YO boy also has short attention span. he is K2 now, and whenever I read to him,he wiould be very restless. and ssometimes, even after 1-2 mins (of me reading), he will yawn and look up and down. he will also look away from the book, fiddle with something he can find on his hand. :cry:

My 5 year old boy is in K1 and I find that some kind of structure is very important. Normally, we will get him to play piano for 5-10 minutes on a daily basis. Then he will go thru phonics by reading his level. I'll reward him with a story book of his choice. I'll also help him with his weekly tingxie and spelling.

Thereafter, he knows he's free to play or watch tv. Hope this helps.

heyhoe
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby smurf » Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:14 pm

thanks for the suggestion. but I think my boy really hates reading. brought him to library, he is more keen in the PC (those searching for deta kind), and he will sit in front of the PC, typing, dunno what he type about, cos u need username and p/w right? he just want to sit there and type, instead of reading...

I read to him because he wants me to read to him,but after 5 mins, his mind is elsewhere, and turn his focus...and then he will wander off, leaving me reading alone...I tried not to be monotone, but no use.

he can read and can recognize many words (credit to his preschool phonics), though he can't spell yet, but he can recognise.

he often choose those books which is too advance for him, and when he brought back, he wouldn't read.:(

:pray:

smurf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Working With Your Child