Expectations

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Expectations

Postby mckenzy » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:30 am

http://www.asiaone.com/News/Education/S ... 92827.html

Letting our children grow in their areas of strength.

This article sparked interest in me as i am one that believes that our children need to grow not only in academics but also in other areas. One area which my son and myself lack is in the area of physical fitness. Although he goes for swim lessons, i feel that we should be doing other kinds of activities as father and son...

What other stuff do father's and sons do together?
Last edited by mckenzy on Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

mckenzy
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Expectations

Postby ChiefKiasu » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:56 am

mckenzy wrote:...What other stuff do father's and sons do together?

We play Wii tennis together... does that count? He also regularly wipes me off the face of planet Tatooine in Starwars Battlefront, and outlasts me in Jacky Chan's street running and workout programmes.

But I can still blade better than him (due to the secret training I did in East Coast Park).

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby heutistmeintag » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:22 am

Things that I do with my son (and daughter)
1) cycling
2) washing car
3) movies
4) rollerblading
5) buffets :)

heutistmeintag
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby mumwgals » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:27 am

I had a 2hr plus badminton session with my 9yo yesterday,.....now I cannot lift up my right arm.....*really old liao*

I make it a point to do outdoor activities & sports with my kids, be it cycling, blading, swimming, tracking, badminton, skipping, hula hood, climbling up the stairs (I stay on 15th Flr). Even though I can't do most of the things, I bring them & give them moral support.. ;-P

mumwgals
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby winth » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:30 pm

I've got to admit that I've been super-kiasu and had great expectations with my boy.

It got to the extent that I had him completing tons of very dry homework all by himself with almost no playtime left. He even started to ask me where all the fun homework were. Back then, we did little crafts together and I would watch him complete his maze activities or even completing sticker-books together as part of his fine motor skill training. Guess I was too engrossed. He told me that he likes it when I look at him when he does his work. That's bec he could ask me things that he doesn't know and he need to know if he got the right answers. I was almost like :cry: that I think I've been too tough on him.

Guess that's the side effect of reading too much into the kiasuparent forum too... hehe... I almost wanted to try everything I have read on my boy. (Disclaimer required)

After his feedback to me, I bought new books where I can do activities with him. Like reading storybooks, 绕口令 (this is his new fun activity) together, doing maths problem sums together (he finds the problem sums very fun too) and buying him more fun activities books where he gets to draw more lines, do more matchings then just purely sentences writing or doing mental sums.

We have also enrolled him to wushu and arts and these are fun for him too. And oh... I've tried this one too: bring your child out on a special date. Just you and him/her. No one else.

Went to JE popular to buy his books and we spent 2 hours there looking for fun books for him. I also bought him an Art Folder for him as a prize for being a special boy. After that, we had a bakery treat where we shared 3 buns together. He told me it was really great to come out with me. I was almost like :lol: (with tears in my eyes).

winth
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mckenzy » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:48 pm

winth wrote:

And oh... I've tried this one too: bring your child out on a special date. Just you and him/her. No one else.

thats a good one.. one of the main reasons for this 'dating' thingee with our kids, especially with opposite genders, is that they learn how to treat each other in an appropriate way.

For example, mummy should have a date with boy-boy, and teach him how to treat someone like a real lady.

Daddy should also have a date with little girl, and show her how she should be treated by males.

this helps to reinforce expectations of proper behaviour and etiquette when our children eventually go out with their friends...

mckenzy
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby jedamum » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:01 pm

mckenzy wrote:Daddy should also have a date with little girl, and show her how she should be treated by males.

:shock: with daddies treating their precious little girls like princesses, it's no wonder women has high expectations of their potential suiters! :D

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby sleepy » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:12 pm

hubby teaches my girl how to fix rubic cube. That is one area beyond me :lol:

mommy does all the boring stuff. Go marketing, library....zzz....

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mckenzy » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:29 am

jedamum wrote: :shock: with daddies treating their precious little girls like princesses, it's no wonder women has high expectations of their potential suiters! :D

and that's a GOOD thing.

i know how notty we guys can be... now with internet and all that... must train our young women not to tolerate but to set high expectations. Sure can find one lah... if we balance it out with our wives dating our sons and teaching them how to treat the opposite gender, it will balance out somehow...

mckenzy
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Return to Working With Your Child