How long does your kids' school shoes last?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Postby hardworking_mom » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:23 pm

Hi,

Not sure if this is correct place to post. My son(primary one) has been wearing a pair of Bata shoes/week since Jan 2010. Now it is quite worn out with the 'toe' part almost torn out. Besides wearing to school with only 2 PE sessions on 2 days and not much outdoor activities, yet it always looks so torn out and dirty. I look at his school mates. Others seem so clean and 'neat'. Maybe I did not maintain them well besides washing them over weekend? :oops: I bought the 'white shoe' wash but yet to use it.

thanks...

hardworking_mom
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby tankee » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:28 pm

My DS's first pair of shoe last much shorter, only 1 term.

I think it is largely due to the fact that they are required to sit on concrete floor quite frequently and those synthetic rubber just get rubbed off.

His current pair of canvas shoe seems to withstand wear & tear better.

tankee
Site Admin

Postby MMM » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:31 pm

Those cloth types that require shoe white last at most a term.... Actually I feel that we are sourcing for school shoes every few months.

Now we go for sporting brands like nike or adidas. So far the Nike was able to last 6 months before my girl find it tight.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Pen88n » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:53 pm

On average, 3 pairs a year. Nowadays, when there is sale (usually about this period), I'll buy 2 pairs, with 1 pair as back-up so that in case of tearing, I need not go out hunting for shoes that night.

Pen88n
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Funz » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:59 pm

DDs shoes still ok. But think she out growing it soon.

Her shoes also from Bata but not the cloth one. But then we make her rotate between 3 pairs so I guess that reduces the wear and tear on each pair.

Whoa, Nike or Adidas for every 6mths very ex. Then when they outgrow and shoes still in decent condition oso heart pain to throw.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby MMM » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:06 pm

Funz wrote:DDs shoes still ok. But think she out growing it soon.

Her shoes also from Bata but not the cloth one. But then we make her rotate between 3 pairs so I guess that reduces the wear and tear on each pair.

Whoa, Nike or Adidas for every 6mths very ex. Then when they outgrow and shoes still in decent condition oso heart pain to throw.

Actually Nike and adidas have the school shoes range now. It's around $30-$40. Not much more than Bata I suppose.

Actually I am wondering why can't school shoes be black like in other countries..... Why must it be white :?

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Pen88n » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:08 pm

MMM wrote:

Actually Nike and adidas have the school shoes range now. It's around $30-$40. Not much more than Bata I suppose.

Actually I am wondering why can't school shoes be black like in other countries..... Why must it be white :?

Some schools use black shoes, but these are mostly the newer neighbourhood schools. They are more modern in their uniform and shoes :lol:

Pen88n
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Funz » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:08 pm

MMM wrote:

I oso wonder. There are some schools with black sch shoes but very few. Well at least these days they have those with material that does not need to white shoe polish.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Gwen » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:10 pm

er, only a term when the 1st pair adhesive tape is not sticky anymore...so bought DD another brand from Bata...looks like time to change again.

its strange how we parents can spend more on "going out shoes" but have only 1 pair of school shoes that they wear daily, similarly for their school uniforms. Her 3 sets get rotated daily....while she has a whole wardrobe of going out clothes which she wears only on weekends :roll:

Gwen
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby hardworking_mom » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:24 pm

I see. So ds Bata shoes can last for 2 terms still not too bad. Actually I have bought another backup shoe but never open up to use. So it's time to change.. His uniform only 2 sets also seem worn-out. Have to constantly remind him not to dirty them during tea-break time. Think the PE t-shirt look the worst. Now ds' weekend clothes can last longer since he only wears them more during school holidays/weekend.

hardworking_mom
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Working With Your Child