5 yr old kid still afraid of dark

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

5 yr old kid still afraid of dark

Postby hope05 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:50 am

My son is coming to 5 this yr and he is still afraid of total darkness. He needs to sleep with the toilet lights on and until now he still does not dare to go to the cinema for movies cos he is also afraid of the loud sound system..

Anyone can offer any advise?

Thks

hope05
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby hquek » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:59 am

My 6 y/o boy still afraid of the dark, of being alone in the room. We just leave him be and try not to perpetuate the fear by scaring him.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Jennifer » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:48 am

A friend's elder boy, now sec 2, has a night light switched on when sleeping alone in his bedroom.

My boy's best friend (now sec 1) also has a night light in his bedroom.

My children do not hv a night light in their bedrooms, but the rooms are not in total darkness becos I leave the backdoor @kitchen slightly ajar so that some lights from the corridor get reflected inside the house. Should they get up in the middle of the night to go to the common toilet, the way is not completely dark. Also when the moon is up, some moonlight shine into their rooms.

I think some pple just feel more comfortable with some light in the dark, nothing much to worry abt.

As for the loud sound system in cinemas, both my boys outgrew the fear only in P2.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby joconde » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:10 pm

i think it's normal and there's no need to be too unduly worried about this, kids will outgrow this one day, we parents just have to be patient with them.

But one thing u may want to look out for is whether they have astiq (sorry, dunno how to spell).

I remember as a child, i was also very afraid of darkness, and in dim light, things appear to be moving to me, and i will imagine things - very scary for a preschool child. And then during my early primary days i was diagnosed with shortsightedness and astiq.

joconde
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby markfch » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:16 pm

My 6 yr old ds used to be able to sleep alone in the guest room alone at night, in complete darkness. But I made the mistake of letting him watch Aliens when he was younger :stupid: . And now he won't sleep alone anymore.
markfch
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby hope05 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:23 pm

hi

thanks for all yr reply. much appreciated...:)

hope05
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby cnimed » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:54 am

Kellyang,
you know what, I was still afraid of the dark at 24! I got over my fear when I had my kids- gotta act brave in front of them!
My problem was an overactive imagination and too many horror d
shows in preschool years. So I monitor what shows my kids watch quite carefully.
cnimed
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby fussyMummy » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:19 pm

er.. I still afraid of dark.. even I am an old woman now.... :oops:

fussyMummy
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Return to Working With Your Child