Is it more difficult to teach year-end kids?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Postby lizawa » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:51 am

Hi Clare,

You will definitely see a difference when the child is younger. But as they grow older, the difference gets smaller. Of course it also depends on the maturity and rate of development of the child. My son is in the top class in school, he is born in December and a few others as well. The youngest is born 1-Jan the next year.

lizawa
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby clare » Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:50 am

Thanks Lizawa. It's good to know there's hope yet for my child! :)

clare
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Luanee » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:01 pm

Yeah, my niece borned on 27th Dec is a student leader in her primary1 class and very good in all subjects!

Luanee
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jedamum » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:29 pm

Luanee wrote:Yeah, my niece borned on 27th Dec is a student leader in her primary1 class and very good in all subjects!

girls in general are more matured in thinking and learning abilities, and each child is different.
you know whether or not your kid is ready by taking a look at her/his peers.
there may be a difference in lower pri, but towards the upper pri, there shouldn't be much difference.
JMHO.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Luanee » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:01 pm

jedamum wrote:girls in general are more matured in thinking and learning abilities.

Yeah, but she is not the only girl in her class!

Luanee
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby matrix0405 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:20 pm

lizawa wrote:Hi Clare,

You will definitely see a difference when the child is younger. But as they grow older, the difference gets smaller. Of course it also depends on the maturity and rate of development of the child. My son is in the top class in school, he is born in December and a few others as well. The youngest is born 1-Jan the next year.

this is true. esp for P1 - P3, the additional 6 mth makes a diff in terms of fine motor skill, gross motor skill, maturity and social skill etc. This gap narrows in upp primary and by upp sec it disappears. Of course there are always some 'advanced developed' ones that come in Nov/Dec and also in Jan.

matrix0405
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby yuenyuen » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:45 pm

my son is late late Dec kid and I can see the slower developement. will put in to a all-boy school so hopefully that helps as I think boys are normally slower than girls.

yuenyuen
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby westmom » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:26 pm

I thought that there is a difference in academic performance in year end kids up to the point of P3 or P4.... Until I read an article a few weeks ago in the Straits times (or sunday times?) that there were researches conducted that seem to indicate that the difference does go all the way up to their college years ! So those with year end kids (including me!), do not push beyond their academic limitation and be patient...

westmom
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby cluelessmom » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:36 pm

westmom wrote:Until I read an article a few weeks ago in the Straits times (or sunday times?) that there were researches conducted that seem to indicate that the difference does go all the way up to their college years !

So tat explains why I am always lagging behind during my school days muahaha :lol:

cluelessmom
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Emelyn » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:24 am

Hmm..... but I find no problem teaching DS2 who is borned on 12 Dec lei.
He is P2 this year.
My friend, after him in the morning, before school. She has a son, same age, but borned in March.
She finds it easier to teach my son too.

Emelyn
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Next

Return to Working With Your Child