How to read to a non-stop crawling baby??

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

How to read to a non-stop crawling baby??

Postby MyMooMoo » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:49 pm

Hi all,

Im really at wits end.. I have been reading to my ds the moment he can sit. He will sit and listen and at times fall aslp. The problem comes when he knows how to crawl.. Argggg.. he simply cant sit for at least a minute.. No matter how i try to make it more interesting by singing or making animals sound or changing tones.. he will crawl and crawl.

Im aware that reading and exposing books to babies are important. I need to know how can I to bring his attention to the books. Haiz...

MyMooMoo
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Sun_2010 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:43 pm

How old is ur DS?

Sun_2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mintcc » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:59 pm

when DS was in that phase I put him in his cot or bumbo seat...then he can't crawl anywhere.... 8)
Last edited by mintcc on Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mintcc
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby auntieM » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:03 pm

How about those 'pop-up' books, or those with interesting movable parts/sounds that will grab the kiddo's attention?
:wink:

auntieM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby concern2 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:15 pm

Choose bedtime / when seated on a high chair. Timing is critical for active babies...

concern2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MyMooMoo » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:24 am

i tried books with bottons so that when he press there will be music after reading some sections.. I also tried lift a flap books... and books that has lights blinking.. piangz... i really run out of ideas...

I usually read to him before bedtime on our bed... the moment he can stand with support, he become like dat...

Which is the best timing? I will try to let him sit on high chair and read..

MyMooMoo
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby verykiasu2010 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:36 pm

give him a set of Bose headphone ....... and play back the pre-recorded reading ..... .he can crawl anywhere then
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby icemountain » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:07 pm

Let him crawl. He's still a babe. Obviously he's keen on exploring his surroundings and exercising his new found motor skills so work with him instead of trying to force him to sit still.

Talk to him about whatever catches his interest. IMO, conversations and interactions are more important than books at this age.

Scatter some board books and cloth books within his reach and let him discover them on his own. Read to him if he's keen, back off once he loses interest.

There'll be plenty of time to nurture interest in books. A bedtime routine works wonders, perhaps instill a routine where it's bath, pj, massage, one book, lullaby and lights off. Keep bedtime unhurried and quiet so he knows it's time for settling down.

Usually by bedtime, he'll be nicely tired out and more willing to sit still for storytime. He'll get used to reading as part of winding down for the day and will eventually ask for more books! If he resists reading, try the next day or couple of days later but never force it down his throat.

That's what I did for my kids. They can't go to sleep without storytime now : )

icemountain
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby cnimed » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:57 pm

I agree with icemountain. It's best to follow the child's lead during these early years. Crawling and investigating surroundings are very important, no need to stop them. Personally I think it's meaningless to read to babies - it's more important to see, touch and smell a real apple than to read about an apple at that age. What's the point of reading about trains or rivers before they even know the layout of their home? Conversations and physical activities are more important than reading. But of course, if the child is attracted to the colors of the book, enjoys listening to the words, by all means, go ahead. :)
cnimed
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby tamarind » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:06 pm

deminc wrote:I agree with icemountain. It's best to follow the child's lead during these early years. Crawling and investigating surroundings are very important, no need to stop them. Personally I think it's meaningless to read to babies - it's more important to see, touch and smell a real apple than to read about an apple at that age. What's the point of reading about trains or rivers before they even know the layout of their home? Conversations and physical activities are more important than reading. But of course, if the child is attracted to the colors of the book, enjoys listening to the words, by all means, go ahead. :)

Hi deminc,
I totally agree with you !

I did not have the patience to read to my kids diligently before the age of 3. Instead, I bought these books for them to "play" with :

http://tamarindphonics.blogspot.com/200 ... th-to.html

These books are meant for babies to touch, feel, push, pull, etc. There are some books that they loved so much, they made me read to them a few hundred times.

After 3 years old, I taught my kids to read, and I make them read to me everyday :wink:

I know many experts advise parents to read to their kids from as young as possible. I have heard of many mommies who said that they read lots of books to their kids, but their kids still cannot read. I think that the most effective way for kids to learn is to read out loud on their own, when they are old enough, generally after 3 years old. Before that age, just let them play all day !

tamarind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Working With Your Child