How to get my girl to go for tuition course

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

How to get my girl to go for tuition course

Postby Rosmary » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:40 am

Dear all

I would like to know how you are able to get your child to go for enrichment or tuition lessons . I have been persuading my girl who is P1 to go for English enrichment lessons on Sat but she just refused and cried . She gave a lot of reason like no friends, unable to do the worksheet etc...

Please help. :cry:

Thank you in advance

Rosmary
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby tankee » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:42 am

Is this a new class you are signing her up for or has she attended a few lessons there?

tankee
Site Admin

Postby hquek » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:15 am

hi rosmary,

could be the class is not engaging, the teacher scoldy etc etc. DS1 has no issues going for class (except he'll grumble at bit); DS2 HATES to go for classes and gets absolutely down when he learns he has to go to xx class. But DS2 is also ok ONCE he's in the class - his nagging is only before.

What I'll do is to tell him the reason for going to class - that i hope he can learn in class and then be comfy in Eng/Chinese language - if he can read this and this book by himself, then ok, mummy will pull you out. Sometimes I'll also offer him goodies AFTER the class - go shopping, go see (not buy) toys etc. usually cheers him up thereafter.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Rosmary » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:14 am

I did not sign up any course at all. Once I suggest the idea to send her for enrichment course, she just dont want. After explained to her the reason for sending her for enrichment course & even reward her , she just refused.

Rosmary
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby coolit » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:06 am

Hi Rosmary,

How about letting her go to the centre just to take a look, tell her its not to force her to join, just to take a look and maybe let her know how much fun it will be...perhaps can choose some fun speech and drama course kind first so she does not feel so intimidated?

Coolit

coolit
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby coolit » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:06 am

Deleted

coolit
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Tutormummy » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:30 pm

During my course of work as a tutor, I came across such incidences as well. What I did was to let the parent sit in together with the kid during the first trial lesson. The kid will feel comfortable with the parent around and after the first session, they will realise that their fears are usually unfounded.

You can try talking to the tutor for such special arrangements.

Tutormummy
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby atfc » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:09 pm

Rosmary wrote:I did not sign up any course at all. Once I suggest the idea to send her for enrichment course, she just dont want. After explained to her the reason for sending her for enrichment course & even reward her , she just refused.

it take time for her to adapt to something new, a new environment as well. try accompanying her for the lesson and if not possible, wait for her at the centre as well. when she get used to the new environment, she will be alright :)

atfc
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby jedamum » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:42 pm

Rosmary wrote:I did not sign up any course at all. Once I suggest the idea to send her for enrichment course, she just dont want. After explained to her the reason for sending her for enrichment course & even reward her , she just refused.

hm...
how about getting her to selfstudy?
since she is not keen to go for Eng Enrichment, get her some english assessment/guide books and work with her; set a target mark for her to get for CA2/SA2; and if she hit that target, she gets to skip enrichment provided that she self-studies; if she misses that target, she'll have to attend enrichment/tuition.
MHO.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Return to Working With Your Child