DS Never Pay Attention But Still Ok In Result. How?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

DS Never Pay Attention But Still Ok In Result. How?

Postby SPI » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:53 pm

Talk to DS teachers and know that he is always not paying attention in class but never disturb others. He will do most of his homework (will forget like 1-2times in a month sometimes.) and do OK with his exam even without tuition. He reads alot can finish 2-3 books in a day if he want. Check with DS and he told me that although he might look like not paying attention but he actually knows what is happeneding. :x . Any parent here with kids like that? I am having problem because teachers will always think that he is day dreaming and when he goes up to higher level he might have problem catching up.

What can I do to help. Cause he is in school and not much I can do.

Forget to say he is like that since 18mth old. Teacher teaching can he can be playing at one corner but knows what is being taught. :roll:

SPI
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: DS Never Pay Attention But Still Ok In Result. How?

Postby mummyjoyce » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:58 pm

SPI wrote:Talk to DS teachers and know that he is always not paying attention in class but never disturb others. He will do most of his homework (will forget like 1-2times in a month.) and do OK with his exam even without tuition. He reads alot can finish 2-3 books in a day if he want. Check with DS and he told me that although he might look like not paying attention but he actually knows what is happeneding. :x . Any parent here with kids like that? I am having problem because teachers will always think that he is day dreaming and when he goes up to higher level he might have problem catching up.

You have a good problem lor. I think he is too smart already and thus the teacher teaching might bore him since he knows most of the stuffs already.
Maybe you can give me more interesting problems to solve and also books that are for older children/higher standard.

mummyjoyce
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby SPI » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:35 pm

Thanks you are fast. Very frustrating to hear teachers complaining about him day dreaming, and only listen to half instructions given. But he is not the high score student. :stupid:

SPI
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby mrswongtuition » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:37 pm

I've encountered such students before. They prefer to be 'left alone' rather than 'pay attention'. However, they are still aware of what the teacher is teaching and what is going on around them.

What you can try to do is to discuss with the teacher to give him a seperate assignment during lesson time. The assignment could be provided by you or the teacher.

I had a student who was very bright but did not get very good grades as he was 'not paying attention' in class. What I did was to give him a set of worksheets which have notes and scaffolding. The notes are in point form and provide basic instructions followed by activities related to the notes. Once he completes the basic set (usually within 15-20minutes), I will give him another set of worksheets that are more challenging. Once he's challenged, he was more interested in the lesson.

He would still complete the regular homework that everyone else has to complete but he gets something extra to help him. In the end, he topped the class and his parents were amazed as they constant recieved the complaint that 'he was not paying attention in class, always daydreaming'.

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sleepy » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:51 pm

SPI wrote:Thanks you are fast. Very frustrating to hear teachers complaining about him day dreaming, and only listen to half instructions given. But he is not the high score student. :stupid:

How old is he now? In primary school?

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby SPI » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:58 pm

mrswongtuition wrote:I had a student who was very bright but did not get very good grades as he was 'not paying attention' in class. What I did was to give him a set of worksheets which have notes and scaffolding. The notes are in point form and provide basic instructions followed by activities related to the notes. Once he completes the basic set (usually within 15-20minutes), I will give him another set of worksheets that are more challenging. Once he's challenged, he was more interested in the lesson.

He would still complete the regular homework that everyone else has to complete but he gets something extra to help him. In the end, he topped the class and his parents were amazed as they constant recieved the complaint that 'he was not paying attention in class, always daydreaming'.

He can even leave the whole Math CA1 mock test section C not done in the 1st term, but get all correct for section A & B :x . After few rounds of my punishment he is doing much better - doing homework in advance b4 teacher told him to. Now is the daydreaming part.
I think you are a very good and experience teacher can think of this, I don't think his teacher can do that cause she have 40 students, and to her ds is someone that dont like to do work. Really big headache.

SPI
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby SPI » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:02 pm

sleepy wrote:
SPI wrote:Thanks you are fast. Very frustrating to hear teachers complaining about him day dreaming, and only listen to half instructions given. But he is not the high score student. :stupid:

How old is he now? In primary school?

He is P3 this yr.

SPI
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby smurf » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:14 pm

U have a very smart kid!

smurf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby tree nymph » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:31 pm

tell you about my uni-mate.

during lecture, my course mate will be sleeping away, to the point that he might be snoring even. so of course he is not taking notes nor paying attention to what the lecturer is teaching. while the rest of us is busy taking notes and half the time did not understand what the lecturer is trying to teach.

Then my friend will wake up, usually like 20 mins before the lecture is going to end. 10 mins before lecture ends, the lecturer will usually pose a question. My friend, having pay some attention for like a total of 10 mins through out the lecture, IS THE ONLY ONE WHO PUTS UP HIS HAND... AND HE IS STILL ABLE TO ANSWER the question CORRECTLY!

:faint:

we were like :stupid: :stupid: really stupid beside him lor...

tree nymph
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby tamarind » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:35 pm

Some kids prefer to learn by themselves. They feel extremely bored listening to the teachers. The fact is that, there are many boring teachers who just talk and talk without caring about whether they can hold the attention of the students. I know that because I used to read the textbook myself and learn on my own, instead of listening to the teacher :wink:

Actually I would advise parents to encourage your kids to learn independently, instead of listening to every word that the teacher says.

tamarind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Working With Your Child