Scared of Mascots

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Scared of Mascots

Postby hope05 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:50 pm

My 5 yr old son is so scared of mascots. He would scream and run away whenever there are big teddy bears or animals mascots in the shopping mall giving away balloons..

i told him that actually inside all these costumes are people so there is nothing to be scared of but he is still very scared.

Is there anyway i can help him to overcome this?

Appreciate any advise.

Thks & rdgs,

hope05
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby cnimed » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:01 pm

Ask him what exactly he's frightened of. Sometimes they think about things that don't cross our mind at all.

You can:
Bring him up close and show him where the zip/peeping hole in the costume is.
Point out that the mascot always need someone next to him to guide him as he can't see clearly.
Wonder out loud how hot and stuffy it must be inside the suit.
You can also take him to party shops that have suits and costumes and show him how they work.

If all else fail, just give him more time. It's ok.
cnimed
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby duriz » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:03 pm

It's called masklophobia which means someone who is afraid of masks and people in costumes and mascots.

Children usually outgrow it; reassure your child that it's someone in a costume, ask the person (if there's no other kids around) if they can slightly lift the head of the costume.

Give your child time to get over the fear. If the opportunity arises again, let your child watch the mascot with the other kids and try talking and explaining how the mascot won't hurt anyone and look at the other kids playing with the mascot.

duriz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ChiefKiasu » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:02 pm

duriz wrote:It's called masklophobia which means someone who is afraid of masks and people in costumes and mascots.

Children usually outgrow it; reassure your child that it's someone in a costume, ask the person (if there's no other kids around) if they can slightly lift the head of the costume.

Give your child time to get over the fear. If the opportunity arises again, let your child watch the mascot with the other kids and try talking and explaining how the mascot won't hurt anyone and look at the other kids playing with the mascot.

There's even a name for that? My daughter when she was 3yo would scream her head off at the sight of a mascot... and yes, she's past that stage now.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby jtoh » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:12 pm

Guess Disneyland and all the Mickey Mouse and other characters would be a bit of a nightmare huh? :lol:

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby MMM » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:34 pm

Guess we are on the same boat :lol:

My 4 years old (K1) likes Dora very much. But when we went to Gold coast last year dec...... she was so afraid and even cried when we asked her to take pic with Dora. She talked so much about Dora before the trip,etc...

This year, when we brought her to universal studio, she appeared alright when my hubby carried her and we took pics with magdagascar. So this probably works.

We are going to disneyland this november and I told her that those are ppl wearing costume. If she is gg to disney without taking pics with mickey,etc.... it's such a waste. We shall see.

My 2 older kids didn't have this problem initially and love taking pics with mascot :?

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby hope05 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:40 pm

MMM wrote:Guess we are on the same boat :lol:

My 4 years old (K1) likes Dora very much. But when we went to Gold coast last year dec...... she was so afraid and even cried when we asked her to take pic with Dora. She talked so much about Dora before the trip,etc...

This year, when we brought her to universal studio, she appeared alright when my hubby carried her and we took pics with magdagascar. So this probably works.

We are going to disneyland this november and I told her that those are ppl wearing costume. If she is gg to disney without taking pics with mickey,etc.... it's such a waste. We shall see.

My 2 older kids didn't have this problem initially and love taking pics with mascot :?

my son does not even dare to go to disneyland. He enjoys watching all those disney shows on tv but whenever i ask him whether he wants to go disneyland to take photos with all these characters. He will tell me he does not want to cos he is scared. :cry:

hope05
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby daisyt » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:09 pm

ChiefKiasu wrote:
duriz wrote:It's called masklophobia which means someone who is afraid of masks and people in costumes and mascots.

There's even a name for that? My daughter when she was 3yo would scream her head off at the sight of a mascot... and yes, she's past that stage now.

My dd now at teenage, still has slight masklophobia on masks and clowns. No particular reason, I guess its just another kind of phobia, like some peoples have height phobia. :roll:

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby duriz » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:32 pm

daisyt wrote: My dd now at teenage, still has slight masklophobia on masks and clowns. No particular reason, I guess its just another kind of phobia, like some peoples have height phobia. :roll:

Hi daisyt,
Like you said.
I think it's perfectly fine.
I'm all grownp with a baby girl.
And I'm still afraid of clowns :oops:

duriz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby daisyt » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:51 pm

duriz wrote:
daisyt wrote: My dd now at teenage, still has slight masklophobia on masks and clowns. No particular reason, I guess its just another kind of phobia, like some peoples have height phobia. :roll:

Hi daisyt,
Like you said.
I think it's perfectly fine.
I'm all grownp with a baby girl.
And I'm still afraid of clowns :oops:

Ya, its fine, I am lizardophobia :lol:

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Working With Your Child