How to improve a kid with slow activities?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

How to improve a kid with slow activities?

Postby brightlight » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:27 pm

Hi,

My kid (in K2) is very slow in most of her activities. She is alright in her studies (she can read well) but when coming to writing she is very slow. Other activities like eating, brushing, walking etc she is very slow. She is also very small in size.

I am thinking of putting her in any center which deals with fine motor skills. Any recommendations on centers would be much appreciated.

In addition to the class, at home how can I help her to improve her speed in the activites?

brightlight
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: How to improve a kid with slow activities?

Postby ChiefKiasu » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:51 pm

brightlight wrote:Hi,

My kid (in K2) is very slow in most of her activities. She is alright in her studies (she can read well) but when coming to writing she is very slow. Other activities like eating, brushing, walking etc she is very slow. She is also very small in size.

I am thinking of putting her in any center which deals with fine motor skills. Any recommendations on centers would be much appreciated.

In addition to the class, at home how can I help her to improve her speed in the activites?

One of the most important lessons I have recently learnt is that ALL kids are naturally SLOOOWWW. Sometimes, they are just trying to make a point that they are being forced to do things, but mostly, they are still learning to do the things that we adults tend to take for granted.

The important point is not about how we can make our children move faster - it is rather how we, as parents, address this "problem" to our children. What goes around comes around, and I can imagine how when we are old and slow, our children would start using the language we used on them when they were kids!

When I came to that conclusion and realized that there is nothing wrong with my son, I stopped nagging and just accepted that fact. I felt much happier and I'm sure my son appreciated it too. Sometimes, we have to just let time do its magic.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby ChiefKiasu » Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:51 pm

Here are somethings we can do as parents.

1. If we recognize that kids are naturally slow, then we need to adjust our time according to theirs. So if you are planning an outing, instead of taking 15mins to prepare to go, you might want to start planning an hour ahead of time. So when the time comes, everyone is ready to go and happy, instead of all flustered and unhappy because the young ones can't make it in time.

2. I'm not sure if placing your child in centers for improving motor skills will really do any good. Why not just take her for a walk/jog around your place for 15mins a day? Or sign her up for some sport, dance or gymnastics so that she can also pick up some skills?

3. Work out a schedule for her to follow on a daily basis. Explain exactly what she is to do for each activity (eating, brushing teach, exercise, etc), and make sure you show her exactly how to do it. You can start off with generous timing for each activity, and then slowly cut down the time as she improves. That way, you can see progression and she gains confidence from being able to accomplish the goals you set for her.

In any case, there is a need for commitment on our part as parents to have the discipline to follow through the tasks and results on a daily basis if we want to see any results. There's a saying:
If management don't inspect, then management cannot expect.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby brightlight » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:49 am

Hi chief,

Thanks for your valuble suggestions.

Actually the comments about her (lack of fine motor skills) from the school teachers and that made me to worry more. That was why I was thinking of sending her to some center to improve in that area. If your suggestions could improve her activities I would happily follow them.

As the first step I made her to join the swimming class. Slowly I will introduce other sports/courses to her. I will also prepare the schedule for her day to day activities.

Once again thanks for your suggestions.

Regards,
bb

brightlight
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby super_dad » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:01 am

K2 is still a young age and kids are capable of drastic changes after that. Mine was told that she had some disorder, as she was quiet and frequently mispell her words. Fast forward years later, she is as normal as a kid can be, and she couldn't stop talking. To my irritation sometimes.

super_dad
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby brightlight » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:10 am

Thankyou Super_dad for sharing your thought.

brightlight
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby raisintan » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:21 pm

Hi,

I have a similar problem with my K1 girl. Whist she reads well and can concentrate and follow instructions in class, she's very slow in doing her work. I noticed she could be watching her frens, staring at the worksheet or simply taking her own sweet time to do her work. Her motor skills has always been weaker than peers since young. Could this be the problem? Any idea what I can do to help her speed up? She's been taking abacus class for a few months but she's still very ssslllooowww.. :(

raisintan
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby noixlml » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:28 am

OMG! My gal is also the same. She is in K2 ad she is as slow as the Grandfather of all Tortoises. On top of that, she refuses to read ad if she does, she memorises the words instead of reading by listening to the sounds of the letters to form the word and I am very worried cuz I just posted in another topic, I have a 15 month toddler to deal with and No 4 due in Sept and she is due in P1 next year.

I really am at my wits end. I have so little time to spare for her as it is. I started to teach us reading since last year but very slight improvement. Sigh....

noixlml
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby fussyMummy » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:54 pm

Hi,

My tiny two sense think that.. need a lot of time and patience to "deal/handle" my "slow" princess at home... She is very "famous" as slow eater among relatives/cousins/friends.... :P

She is P4 now... wake up slow :frustrated: , brush teeth slow..Eat slow, walk slow, shower slow, change clothes also slow..do homework slow.. and more slow if I ask her to do Assessment... Slow till I almost :rant: everday...

The more I ask her to do FASTER.. the SLOWER action she takes...:slapshead:

But then ... if eat Macdonald -----> very fast.. Play PSP ---> very FAST too... :x :sweat:

After scold and scold and scold, and keep repeat FASTER! :faint: .. I change my "skill"....I do praise her when she can finished "anything" on time or slightly faster than usual.. and I found this "trick" do work...! :pray:

Kids, always need encouragement.. praise...

We as adults also.. arent we? :celebrate:

fussyMummy
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Return to Working With Your Child