Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

Lack of Sleep among S'pore Kids - pls share your views

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

How many hours of sleep does your kid (primary school) have?

< 8 hours
37%
8 - 9 hours
27%
9 - 10 hours
31%
> 10 hours
5%

Total votes : 59

Postby Sun_2010 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:01 am

snowman.697 wrote:Just to add on - doing relaxing stuff, say, reading a book, or watching some television program (make sure you FINISH it), lastly dont count sheep or cows or goats or ants or bacteria or humans or whatever, there's no scientific proof that it helps. I've triedit myself and it just kept me awake for 1.25 more hours. -.-

Haha snowman, i fall in the same category.

I think for those who are fascinated by numbers, counting sheep only makes the grey cells more excited.

Instead i go for a walk, along a favourite familiar path. As i try to remember the inane details as i stroll by , i tend to doze off....

Sun_2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mrswongtuition » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:31 pm

As a student, I love my sleeep!! & I still love it!

During my secondary school days and even till now, I take afternoon naps if I had a brain-draining day in school.

Honestly, everyone is different and our body works differently.
Some people may need more sleep than others just to feel that same amount of 'refreshment' and 'alertness'.

I'm someone who can survive with little sleep. Key word: SURVIVE.
But if possible, I would love my sleep :)

For Secondary School students, their priorities are all wrong.
FB is more important than sleep.
Korean/HK dramas are more important than sleep.

For the studious ones: rushing projects is more important than sleep.

As a teacher, I always told my students:
Being EFFECTIVE & EFFICIENT is key to time management.

When you plan to sit down and complete your work, switch off ALL DISTRACTIONS.
If not doing work on the computer, turn off the computer, put HP on silent mode (and if possible, put it somewhere out of sight).
If doing work on the computer, no MSN, no FB, no Youtube, no games, etc.

Kids being kids.... they may not understand time management (be honest: many adults also lack time management skills).
GUIDE THEM to PLAN and ORGANISE their time.
It may seem like a big 'fight' at first. Perservere. You are teaching a LIFESKILL. No matter how hard it may be, try.

Also, teenagers prefer to be talked to as ADULTS. :roll:
Yet they don't behave responsibly like one. :roll:

So, I always encourage parents to simple sit your teenager down once and for all.
State out clearly the reasons:
1. To feed the growing brain and body, you need enough REST.
2. He/she deserves a good break and sleep after all the hard work, not waste energy on other activities of no 'benefit.

And state clearly how they can achieve that (remember: BABY STEPS):
1. Take a warm shower, lie on bed by 10pm, even if you don't feel tired. Just lie down to rest.
2. Plan your time by WRITING IT DOWN. E.g. 2 - 4pm finish schoolwork, 4 - 4.30pm shower, 4.30 - 6pm start on project (need to finish research and start off report), 6 - 7pm dinner, 7pm - 8pm TV, 8pm - 9pm computer time (if homework completed), 9pm shower and laze around.
3. Remind them that they are responsible for their own bodies, their own actions and they have to bear the consequences: falling ill due to lack of sleep, not doing well in school because they can't concentrate.

However, if your child is staying up genuinely because there's a lot of work to finish and they can't complete, it's time to stop the nagging and show your SUPPORT.

Simple actions like bringing them a drink, making supper if they feel hungry, making sure the lighting is good enough, they are not distracted by other things going on in the house (other family members watching TV too loudly, etc), etc.

And, staying up with them... even if you are doing your 'own things' like reading, watching TV, surfing the net.

Your child may seem to 'hate' it. Or may bug you to sleep. Just remind them that you are worried because you care and wish to stay up with them to show your support. :D

If all else fails, they may need proper counselling from someone that they trust and listen to. It may be a family member they look up to (older cousins), or the school counsellor. :D

Regards,
Mrs Wong
Tuition Web: www.mwtuition.com.sg
Personal Blog: thelittleonesinmylife.blogspot.com

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

How many hours of sleep is adequate for kids?

Postby Yong HL » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:58 pm

How many hours of sleep is considered adequate for kids in primary school?

Yong HL
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby ANobleNerd » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:55 pm

The research says 10 hours for kids 8 to 12.

11 and more for kids younger than 8.

9.5 to 10 for teenagers.

http://www.med.umich.edu/yourchild/topics/sleep.htm

Sleep deprivation is not a joke - it can cause a multitude of health issues, both mental and physical for anyone, not just kids.

ANobleNerd
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby cyn-w » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:52 am

i try to get my boy to sleep about 10hours everyday =)

cyn-w
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby tisha » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:46 am

cyn-w wrote:i try to get my boy to sleep about 10hours everyday =)

Thats great. :D How old is your boy?

My DS (12 years old) sleeps only for 7 hrs (11:30 pm - 6:30 am) on weekdays :( + 1 hr of nap in the afternoon/evening after returning from school( this I insist, so that he is fresh for HW/revision).

tisha
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby ANobleNerd » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:19 pm

Naps are important if there isn't enough hours for the night-sleep to make up the overall number of hours.

ANobleNerd
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby livewith_vanilla » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:47 pm

I'm a secondary 1 student. :)

In primary school, my sleep time was around 8 hours.
In secondary school, I'm lucky to get 8 hours, most of the time, I get 7 hours.

I don't take naps in secondary school life nor did I take naps in p6 , cuz the life was just so hectic. Jam-packed. Stuck in school for 12 hours .

I miss my sleep , even weekends cant replenish my sleep. The amount of homework... *groans*

So, let your children sleep in on Sundays and during the holidays. Sure, they can do their work , but let them chill out. Being tired makes a person irritable. :)

livewith_vanilla
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby tisha » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:17 am

livewith_vanilla wrote:I'm a secondary 1 student. :)

In primary school, my sleep time was around 8 hours.
In secondary school, I'm lucky to get 8 hours, most of the time, I get 7 hours.

I don't take naps in secondary school life nor did I take naps in p6 , cuz the life was just so hectic. Jam-packed. Stuck in school for 12 hours .

I miss my sleep , even weekends cant replenish my sleep. The amount of homework... *groans*

So, let your children sleep in on Sundays and during the holidays. Sure, they can do their work , but let them chill out. Being tired makes a person irritable. :)

Thank you livewith_vanilla for sharing the useful tips from a student's perspective. :celebrate: Appreciate it. Best wishes for you in secondary school and beyond. :love:

tisha
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: Lack of Sleep among S'pore Kids - pls share your views

Postby jedamum » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:05 am

My teenager clocks average 7hours if include weekends sleep in. Otherwise is 6-6.5hours on weeknights. No fb. Our relationship will sour if I nag him to turn in early as I am deemed not understanding. If he did, some occasions he will set early wake up alarm and get out of bed early to finish his work while I still snoozing. He has no complaints and look forward to school...but thinks he can survive on little sleep. :(

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

PreviousNext

Return to Working With Your Child

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres