Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

Lack of Sleep among S'pore Kids - pls share your views

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

How many hours of sleep does your kid (primary school) have?

< 8 hours
37%
8 - 9 hours
27%
9 - 10 hours
31%
> 10 hours
5%

Total votes : 59

Re: Lack of Sleep among S'pore Kids - pls share your views

Postby slmkhoo » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:16 am

jedamum wrote:My teenager clocks average 7hours if include weekends sleep in. Otherwise is 6-6.5hours on weeknights. No fb. Our relationship will sour if I nag him to turn in early as I am deemed not understanding. If he did, some occasions he will set early wake up alarm and get out of bed early to finish his work while I still snoozing. He has no complaints and look forward to school...but thinks he can survive on little sleep. :(

I would think 7 hrs is OK even if not ideal. The main thing is whether he is often tired, lethargic, grumpy etc, and whether he gets sick often. If not, I suppose it's fine. I recall managing on 6-7 hrs a night in my sec school days too, and since I had ECA on Sat and church on Sun, I didn't really get to sleep much more during the weekends. My kids are getting 7 hrs a night plus an extra 1-2 hrs in the weekends, and they seem to be OK. No complaints about falling asleep in class etc, and their overall health is good.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Rae4kids » Thu May 11, 2017 3:26 pm

My P6 DD sleeps at 10.30pm and wakes up at 6am. Which is only 7.5 hours of sleep. Sometimes she cannot sleep and ends up sleeping at 11pm+, while sometimes she wakes up at 5am just to do homework. That results in her getting headaches, which has been a constant problem for us. I told her not to stress herself that much, but considering it is soon PSLE period, I know it is difficult for her.

Rae4kids
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby zzmummy » Thu May 11, 2017 4:07 pm

Working mums probably share the same peeve. By the time I reach home is 7 plus. After settling down, it would have been past 8pm. And thereafter I need to go thru their schoolwork and do revision. Which is why my son only get to go to sleep ard 10pm. With this in mind, I choose a nearby neighbourhood school which starts later at 8am. We can leave the house at 730am and reach by 740am which is their assembly time. And in the afternoon, I make sure he takes a nap as he is cared for by his grandma. My child wakes up with a happy face and skip his way to school compared to the many grumpy faces I saw of other school going kids. I know my child is well rested and I can work at ease with that in mind.

zzmummy
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Funz » Thu May 11, 2017 4:27 pm

DS is P6 this year. He goes to bed at 9pm and is up at 5.30am. Same as DD when she was in P6. In fact DD is in Sec 2 this year and still goes to be at 9pm.

They seem to be able to cope with their work including all the CCA and whatever supp classes they have. In fact, they are free most evenings.

Reakids, no idea what school your DD is in that the workload is so heavy. My experience with my kids and my niece and nephew is very different. All of them are in different schools but all do not have that high a workload. Of course if your DD has a certain goal or dream school that she is working towards, she may be more stressed. My kids did not aspire to go to any of the top sec schools so they worked at a pace that they are comfortable with. It was mummy here who was kinda stressed out with her pendulum act of cool mum and tiger mum. :laugh: In the end, cool mum was way more fun so we went with that. :wink:

One thing that believe in is physical activity in the midst of all these cramming. Kiddos are in sports CCA so they get trainings twice a week. All CCAs cease in the months before the PSLE so I tell kiddos to get out of the house to play or swim instead. Some physical activities helps relieve stress and helps them rest better at night.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby slmkhoo » Thu May 11, 2017 4:34 pm

Another thing is to see if she has poor winding down habits. Does she study all the way, then go to bed? In the last 30-60 mins before bedtime, she should avoid studying, using phone/PC etc. Some time of chit chat with family, watching a bit of TV, reading, having a snack etc, may help.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Rae4kids » Thu May 11, 2017 8:19 pm

I think she is quite slow with work. It takes longer time for her to process information so maybe thats why. She is hoping to get in Anderson, which is one of the best sec schools in the North. The cop is 247 but her t score this year is 246, so thats why she has to work extra hard.

Rae4kids
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby FishFingers » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:44 pm

I make sure my girls sleep at 10pm and wake up at 500am the next day.

Always tell them take a afternoon nap when they come back from school.

FishFingers
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby andee » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:51 pm

Thankfully, for my 6-year old twin girls, bedtime stories still work. I rarely finish a book. It's like pooof...they sleep like the dead for hours. Sometimes they get out of bed in the middle of the night but when they hit the sheets, they're in deep sleep all over again!

andee
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby ThinkEnglish » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:31 pm

I think it's good to inculcate some routine when it comes to sleep time for kids and not allow them to keep late nights consistently. And definitely they should stay away from electronic devices, especially when it's an excuse for them to have phones by their side as an alarm clock to wake them up the following morning.

ThinkEnglish
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby fable » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:07 am

Funz wrote:DS is P6 this year. He goes to bed at 9pm and is up at 5.30am. Same as DD when she was in P6. In fact DD is in Sec 2 this year and still goes to be at 9pm.

They seem to be able to cope with their work including all the CCA and whatever supp classes they have. In fact, they are free most evenings.

Reakids, no idea what school your DD is in that the workload is so heavy. My experience with my kids and my niece and nephew is very different. All of them are in different schools but all do not have that high a workload. Of course if your DD has a certain goal or dream school that she is working towards, she may be more stressed. My kids did not aspire to go to any of the top sec schools so they worked at a pace that they are comfortable with. It was mummy here who was kinda stressed out with her pendulum act of cool mum and tiger mum. :laugh: In the end, cool mum was way more fun so we went with that. :wink:

One thing that believe in is physical activity in the midst of all these cramming. Kiddos are in sports CCA so they get trainings twice a week. All CCAs cease in the months before the PSLE so I tell kiddos to get out of the house to play or swim instead. Some physical activities helps relieve stress and helps them rest better at night.

My DS is taking his PSLE this year as well, Funz, and he also seems to have a manageable workload. Things were a little heavy at times in the second semester, and we girded ourselves for the onslaught, but in the 3rd sem it has eased off, and teachers go out of their way to schedule no work weekends and mini class parties in the midst of their studying.

I also believe in physical activity. DS is very active in sports, and we had been prepared to cut down on training hours as exams approach, but that doesn't seem to be necessary. He does some studying on his own, but honestly, I don't really know what he's covered. Our message to him in the last few years is that he is responsible for his own learning and his own grades, and hard as it is to resist stepping in as the big exam draws near, we are keeping to our hands off approach.

So he gets about 9 hours or sleep a night on school nights (9 - 6) and 10 - 11 or holidays (8.30 - 7.30), despite almost daily training that ends at 7.30. Am hoping he will be able to maintain this into secondary school!

I do appreciate that its more challenging when you are working. Although I say I'm hands off, I am around the house enough to see that he at least is still at the table working. And I'm sure he's more "inspired" to sit down to do his work knowing I can pop up at any time.

fable
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

PreviousNext

Return to Working With Your Child

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres