Reward after Exam

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Reward after Exam

Postby Trapwithin » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:36 pm

I know everyone is busy preparing their kids for the coming exam.
But STOP for a moment and THINK.

Recently I have been thinking, what I should get for my child after the exam is over. Then it dwells on me how sometimes, we reward our kids based on academic results. Does that makes our love for our kids CONDITIONAL?

So I decided to buy my dd a BIG gift and I will give it to her immediately after the exam. Not after the result is released, not after she has attained certain pre-set goals. A reward purely because I love her and would like to encourage her that daddy love her whatever the outcome of the result is.

So how will you reward your kids after exam?

If you are like me, other than busy helping them ..
We have to start hunting for presents too :celebrate:

Trapwithin
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby starlight1968sg » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:40 pm

Dd has no reward for each exam. But we try to go for a short getaway during the year-end to have some quality family time and get ready for the next year. Is this considered as a reward?

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Trapwithin » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:43 pm

starlight1968sg wrote:Dd has no reward for each exam. But we try to go for a short getaway during the year-end to have some quality family time and get ready for the next year. Is this considered as a reward?

Of course .. what beats quality family bonding time.
Enjoy the holiday :celebrate:

Trapwithin
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby heyhoe » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:50 pm

So far only DS1 has exam.

We'd normally bring all 3 DS to go shopping centre the week after DS1 exam is over. Each allocated a small budget about $10 each to get what they wanted.

This is more to thank him for his effort (cooperate with us in going thru the revision) plus to motivate his two other brothers. His efforts let him earn gifts not just for him but also his brothers.

Sometimes, we increase his budgets slightly as it's usually quite difficult to get gift that he wanted.

heyhoe
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: Reward after Exam

Postby duriz » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:21 pm

Trapwithin wrote: So I decided to buy my dd a BIG gift and I will give it to her immediately after the exam. Not after the result is released, not after she has attained certain pre-set goals. A reward purely because I love her and would like to encourage her that daddy love her whatever the outcome of the result is.

Your love is THE biggest reward to your DD.
Well done Daddy Trapwithin :celebrate:

duriz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby wonderm » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:29 pm

Trapwithin wrote:I know everyone is busy preparing their kids for the coming exam.
But STOP for a moment and THINK.

Recently I have been thinking, what I should get for my child after the exam is over. Then it dwells on me how sometimes, we reward our kids based on academic results. Does that makes our love for our kids CONDITIONAL?

So I decided to buy my dd a BIG gift and I will give it to her immediately after the exam. Not after the result is released, not after she has attained certain pre-set goals. A reward purely because I love her and would like to encourage her that daddy love her whatever the outcome of the result is.

So how will you reward your kids after exam?

If you are like me, other than busy helping them ..
We have to start hunting for presents too :celebrate:

Totally agree with you. Since young, we explain to the children the best reward for their hardwork is the results they get or at least the feeling that they have tried their best. No materialistic award from parents for good results. Our love for them is shown throughout the year by providing for them and be there for them, which have absolutely nothing to do with exams results. In fact, after each exam, the children will think of some "reward" for the parents and the maid for supporting them through their exams. The reward they gave us does not cost money, it could be a nice card or just helping the maid with some household chores to show their appreciation.

wonderm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Trapwithin » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:40 pm

heyhoe wrote:So far only DS1 has exam.

We'd normally bring all 3 DS to go shopping centre the week after DS1 exam is over. Each allocated a small budget about $10 each to get what they wanted.

This is more to thank him for his effort (cooperate with us in going thru the revision) plus to motivate his two other brothers. His efforts let him earn gifts not just for him but also his brothers.

Sometimes, we increase his budgets slightly as it's usually quite difficult to get gift that he wanted.

I like the idea of giving them a budget and let them get stuff they liked.
One store came to mind - DIASO :lol:

Trapwithin
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Trapwithin » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:41 pm

wonderm wrote:In fact, after each exam, the children will think of some "reward" for the parents and the maid for supporting them through their exams. The reward they gave us does not cost money, it could be a nice card or just helping the maid with some household chores to show their appreciation.

So sweet and thoughtful. Well Done Wonderm :celebrate:

Trapwithin
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Augmum » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:44 pm

As for me, i often reward my gal as and when ......
if i see anything i think she would love to have it,
i would buy to reward her with no particular reasons
so i dun think she would expect from me a reward immed after an exam
or for getting good grades
(now think abt it, so far no particular rewards for her for all these yrs of exams..... :wink: )

Augmum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby jedamum » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:01 pm

Augmum wrote:As for me, i often reward my gal as and when ......
if i see anything i think she would love to have it,
i would buy to reward her with no particular reasons
so i dun think she would expect from me a reward immed after an exam
or for getting good grades
(now think abt it, so far no particular rewards for her for all these yrs of exams..... :wink: )

my boy will get a sum of money regardless of how he perform (figure is however pegged on the results); we gauge him based on the efforts he put in in the preparation ....he can choose to spend it or keep it in the bank. last year, he chose something which exceeded this sum (Lego set) and his dad topped it up for him without questions.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Working With Your Child