Need Advise for Diet for Active 3 yo

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Need Advise for Diet for Active 3 yo

Postby mamii » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:37 pm

Hi, I am not sure if I should post the thread here or in Health.

MY 3 yo is very active but he does have his quiet moments while watching TV, youtube or playing with some of his toys, but most of the time he is active, non stop. We are very concerned that he does not follow our instructions (but will listen to the teachers) such that it is impossible to go shopping with him as he would run all over the place. It is impossible to hold his hand and walk as he would treat the whole place like his playground. He is only like that when we are out but he is manageable at home.

His kindergarten teacher and speech and drama teacher have the same comments as well and suggest that he may not be able to concentrate and suggested to watch his diet such as eliminating sugar and chocolates and pastry etc.

Any advise on what are the substitutes i can consider as he does not like bread or cereal so i give him cakes for breakfast and snacks. He loves chocolates.

I have read that to eliminate such food for 2 weeks and to slowly re-introduce the food to find the trigger food for outbursts of behavior.

Anyone has done this before and any food to suggest ?

Please help and many thanks in advance.
mamii

mamii
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby mrswongtuition » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:34 pm

Sounds EXACTLY like my boy! He's 3 this year too!
Except that I've been very strict about his diet since weaning and he's never been exposed to sweets or chocolates.

I've shared about what I give him at my blog: http://thelittleonesinmylife.blogspot.com

You can replace high GI foods with low GI foods (do google on GI for diabetics).
Different foods have different GI index. Foods with high GI index will give us 'sugar rush' and may cause kids to be 'hyper'.
My boy's diet has more protein.

Also, you might want to try having a 'naughty corner'. Works very well for my son. Before we go out, we will remind him to behave, else he will have to go to the naughty corner once we are home.

I totally understand what you mean about the shopping mall being his playground. My boy will run off to see things that he fancies without informing us! We once thought about the 'leash' for kids that comes in a form of a kiddy bag with a strap for parents to hold. However, we felt that it was too mean to use that, so we tried positive rewards instead.

Also, we started him on swimming lessons (used to be once a week but now it's twice a week). Swimming helped to 'drain off' his endless energy and he is better behaved. His swimming instructor is very strict yet fun, so he is able to handle my son without any problems.

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mamii » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:59 pm

thanks mrswong for your reply. I did try to restrict his exposure to sweets and stuff but i could only do it for so long as I could not stop grandparents and aunts and most importantly DH from introducing these food to him. But still I will restrict him on candies and sugared drinks.

He has his naughty corner and he will obediently go stand in it and says sorry for what he has done but he never remembers it after that. :x

I have not thought of swimming cos he hates to get water in his eyes, hmmm seems like a good idea. Thanks and I will google for the GI info.

mamii
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby mrswongtuition » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:32 pm

mamii wrote:thanks mrswong for your reply. I did try to restrict his exposure to sweets and stuff but i could only do it for so long as I could not stop grandparents and aunts and most importantly DH from introducing these food to him. But still I will restrict him on candies and sugared drinks.

He has his naughty corner and he will obediently go stand in it and says sorry for what he has done but he never remembers it after that. :x

I have not thought of swimming cos he hates to get water in his eyes, hmmm seems like a good idea. Thanks and I will google for the GI info.

I'm very fierce, even my relatives dare not offer him anything without asking my permission. And my boy has learnt to reject such offers of sweets, chocolates and ice cream. My siblings will offer him snacks, but only dried fruits which I approve. Recently he sneaked into the kitchen to get potato chips, so I bought organic ones for him (as reward when he's good).

Do look into organic foods too. Sometimes it's the artificial colouring and preservatives that are the culprits (common culprits other than sugar).

Do you talk to him after he says sorry? As in tell him why he got punished and that he should not do it again? My son will actually remember better if we explained to him nicely after that. & we will give 'warnings' before we punish him.

My boy used to hate water in his eyes too! He would cry when we brought him swimming and the instructor asked him to 'blow bubbles'!
So we had to 'bribe' him with a cheeseburger after lessons.
And we tried to bring him earlier to play at the baby pool with other kids (more fun).
Now he LOVES swimming and when we increased it to twice a week, there was no resistance at all.

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Need Advise for Diet for Active 3 yo

Postby jedamum » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:54 pm

mamii wrote:MY 3 yo is very active but he does have his quiet moments while watching TV, youtube or playing with some of his toys, but most of the time he is active, non stop.

food aside, cut down on TV viewing and computer games.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby mamii » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:14 pm

hi jedamum, yes we do restrict those, sometimes he would switched off the tv himself cos he prefer to play his toys

mamii
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby mamii » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:22 pm

mrswong, i used to be very strict too but i had to give in to pressure so I chose to be selective in the things he eats, like no soft drinks and candies instead.

DS loves to snack so i am looking into alternatives for him. What snacks do you provide ? DS likes nuts and dried apricot.

mamii
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby mrswongtuition » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:52 pm

mamii wrote:mrswong, i used to be very strict too but i had to give in to pressure so I chose to be selective in the things he eats, like no soft drinks and candies instead.

DS loves to snack so i am looking into alternatives for him. What snacks do you provide ? DS likes nuts and dried apricot.

Mine loves nuts & dried cranberries or dried green raisins!
They have similar tastes!

At the moment he got a 'peanut butter craze', so we give him plain crackers or bread with peanut butter (organic ones, no sugar, no preservatives). I stock up on different types of nuts for him too.

He loves fresh fruits also. Any fruit that is dried, he'll take it too. He's alright with foods that have a sourish tang (like orange). He loves plain yogurt with fresh fruits. Sometimes my maid will cook oats, then sprinkle with fresh fruits too.

I'm not sure if you've heard of this book called Super Baby Food (www.superbabyfood.com). I bought it when I started weaning him and till today, I'm still refering to it for great toddler snack recipes!
Home made muesli, using cereals to bake bread, etc.
And they do not encourage artificial sweeteners, so most recipes use fruit juice to sweeten the products - can be omitted easily or lessened.

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mamii » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:52 am

yes they do have similar taste ! DS loves yogurt too but only those commercial ones cos they are sweet. I have home made but does not appeal to him, have to tweak the recipe i guess.

did try to introduce peanut butter to DS but he refused it, have to try again.

Since weaning I had introduced him to organic food as much as possible, guess i have to start searching again. Some of them are just too expensive.

Oh i would go look for the book you recommend, i would love to have those home made recipes !

yes we do explain every time we punished him but once the punishment is over he forgets everything ! he would even tell us why he is being punished, but once he turned his back he is back to square one.

Just canned him last night cos he spit saliva and we have been telling him for weeks. I think he gets the message now.

mamii
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby verykiasu2010 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:56 am

mamii wrote:Hi, I am not sure if I should post the thread here or in Health.

MY 3 yo is very active but he does have his quiet moments while watching TV, youtube or playing with some of his toys, but most of the time he is active, non stop. We are very concerned that he does not follow our instructions (but will listen to the teachers) such that it is impossible to go shopping with him as he would run all over the place. It is impossible to hold his hand and walk as he would treat the whole place like his playground. He is only like that when we are out but he is manageable at home.

His kindergarten teacher and speech and drama teacher have the same comments as well and suggest that he may not be able to concentrate and suggested to watch his diet such as eliminating sugar and chocolates and pastry etc.

Any advise on what are the substitutes i can consider as he does not like bread or cereal so i give him cakes for breakfast and snacks. He loves chocolates.

I have read that to eliminate such food for 2 weeks and to slowly re-introduce the food to find the trigger food for outbursts of behavior.

Anyone has done this before and any food to suggest ?

Please help and many thanks in advance.
mamii

Besides diet, you may want to consider whether there is a need to check for ADHD
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Working With Your Child