Methods of weaning child gradually off afternoon nap

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Methods of weaning child gradually off afternoon nap

Postby kola » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:54 pm

Hi mummies and daddies,

I would like to know how you wean your child gradually off afternoon nap, so that she can "tanhan" not to take afternoon nap and not to fall asleep in class… I thinking of preparing her for P1 afternoon session.

My girl 4.5 yo, is a morning child, she would wake up automatically about 7am every morning without fail, including weekend and PH… :roll: But I am glad in a way, as I do not have to drag her out of bed every weekday morning. She is always the first to wake up and come over to our room to wake us up…. asking for milk…

Her preschool start at 8am - 1.30pm. By 3pm, she would definitely need to take her 2hr nap from 3 - 5pm (sometime she even refuse to wake up at 5pm, she claimed that she was still tired and sleepy, but would get her up by all means, otherwise she would not be able to sleep in the night). Normally she will sleep by 10.30 - 11pm in the night.

Would like to hear from you how you prepare your child from the transition of morning preschool to an afternoon session in P1... without falling a sleep in school... TIA

kola
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Jennifer » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:20 pm

I think as a child grows older, the need to nap in the afternoon reduces naturally. At age 4.5 y.o, still needs the afternoon rest.

My elder boy was the late sleep, wake up sleep type during his kindy years. When he went to P1, no issue since the childcare stopped afternoon naps for K2 children.

My younger boy was the wake up early type regardless of what time he slept the previous night. Also no issue when he went to P1.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mrswongtuition » Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:54 pm

My boy can't take afternoon nap, else he'll sleep at midnight or even later!
I've shaved off his afternoon naps.

What we did:
1. Force him to sleep earlier (sometimes have to be mean and hold the cane to make him sleep early).
2. Reduce his nap gradually from 2hour to 1.5hour to 1hour to none.
3. Find alternative activities to keep him busy so that he will not think about nap.
4. Make sure he has a nice full dinner and as much milk as he likes before sleeping. As long as he's full, he will be able to sleep for very long.

Now, he only naps when we intend to bring him out at night.

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kola » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:57 pm

Hi Jennifer and Mrs Wong,
Thank you for your response... :lol:

I intend to start to wean my girl when she is 5 year old next year... from 2hr to 1.5hr to 1hr and gradually to none...

As she will not be in CC, thus this weaning off the afternoon nap has to be carried out at home...

Mrs. Wong, may I know what kind of activities do you do with your son during these extension 0.5 hr so as to keep him 'awake'? Activities that are active, eg cycling, painting? or activities that are passive, eg drawing, writing?

TIA

kola
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby mrswongtuition » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:01 pm

kola wrote:
Mrs. Wong, may I know what kind of activities do you do with your son during these extension 0.5 hr so as to keep him 'awake'? Activities that are active, eg cycling, painting? or activities that are passive, eg drawing, writing?

TIA

We normally play games like play pretend or play his memory games.
Sometimes it will be painting or puzzles.

No physical activities as it'll make him more tired & grouchy.

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kola » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:58 pm

Mrs Wong, Thanks for the advise...
I will try your method to stretch her nap time slowly and gradually... :D

kola
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Working With Your Child