How to develop child's potential?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

How to develop child's potential?

Postby Angelight » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:48 pm

My DD is 3 and loves reading. We borrowed a lot of English and Chinese books to read to her. And now she can even 'read' from the books to her dolls/soft toys.

But the funny thing is: she hasn't learned how to recognise words yet - alphabets, yes but not words stringed together. So how she can read literally word for word from the books is beyond us.

I would like to further develop and enhance her potential but not sure which enrichment courses I should send her for. How can I best develop her potential in this area?

I know there are a few educators/teachers in this forum, and even if you are not but have faced similar situation as me, pls share share. :thankyou:

Angelight
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Faun » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:10 am

Just enjoy it. I think there's no need to go for any enrichment. The best enrichment she can get is the National Library. No need to buy books, no need to go for classes. Just enjoy all genre of literature with your child. Believe me, that's enough.

When her listening comprehension gets better, use audio books. The BBC dramatization are great. She can get to listen to a lot of good English which is hard to come by in our context.

When she starts to draw and write, use A4 paper to make small booklet for her to draw and write stories so she can start expressing herself in drawing and writing.

Read, read and read to her. If she sees you enjoy literature, she will. Talk about what you guys read and there are many great learning points and
teaching points that you can pick up. This also teaches the kid to be more insightful in what she's reading. I read a lot to my kids. I think they pick up reading by what they call whole-language learning. What happens is that they listen to how you pronounce the words and they associate it with the words. After sometime, they'll know how to make up the pronunciation themselves. It all happened very unconsciously. This method had been used before phonics method came into the picture. It's a much more enjoyable way to learn how to read than to go through learning all the sounds of alphabets. Also requires a lot of reading from an adult. Both my kids started reading independently at 4+. That means, they're able to pick up a book that I've never read to them before and read by themselves.

Basically, when it comes to language, there's no need to go for any enrichment class if you lay the groundwork well. It good that you are aware and want to do it now when she's only 3.

Save what you can, there are many many other enrichment centres that will come to make you feel all sorts of needs in the years to come and suggest that your kid is not good enough as compared to some Tom, Dick and Harry. Enjoy your daughter, be patient to see results. All Things Grow With Love and love is patience.

All the Best!

Faun
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Jennifer » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:59 am

My elder boy could also "read" from a young age. He memorised his favourite story but could not recognise the individual words when taken out from the storybook and written on a piece of paper.

I agree with Faun, continue to read to your child.

If you really want her to be able to read, then perhaps a Montessori phonics class would come in useful.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby cherrygal » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:36 pm

Check out Tamarind's topic on teaching phonics at home at the Language Enrichment thread. She taught her kids how to read with phonics. Very inspiring.

http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum/viewtopic.php?t=877

She also has one on teaching Chinese at home.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Angelight » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:33 pm

Thanks, Faun, Jennifer, cherrygal, for responding to my question. I know I may sound kiasu, cos almost every parent I know seem to be sending their kids for enrichment courses and I don't wanna short-change my only child.

Ok, will continue to read to my gal. In fact, I seldom buy books for her, always borrow from library. Quite worried about her Chinese though. despite me teaching her Mandarin and reading alot of Chinese books to her, she still has not been able to 'read' in Chinese like she can in English. Am hoping that she will master it when she goes to Nursery next yr. :pray:

Angelight
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:51 pm

Angelight wrote:despite me teaching her Mandarin and reading alot of Chinese books to her, she still has not been able to 'read' in Chinese like she can in English. Am hoping that she will master it when she goes to Nursery next yr. :pray:

Hv you tried songs/nursery rhymes in audio CDs? Likely to be more interesting than just reading.

Like my P3 boy, we discovered that he learns from the commentary in documentary and Formula One racing as well.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby cherrygal » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:42 pm

Angelight wrote:Thanks, Faun, Jennifer, cherrygal, for responding to my question. I know I may sound kiasu, cos almost every parent I know seem to be sending their kids for enrichment courses and I don't wanna short-change my only child.

You have to be kiasu to be in this website. :wink:

I felt the same way as you when deciding to send my kid for enrichment. I didn't want to be deemed kiasu but everyone was sending... so I only picked classes that my son seemed to be weak at and took him out once the foundation or interest has been instilled. Then I let him learn other things to find out where his interests lie. In this way, I don't clog up the weekends with back-to-back classes which will either kill me or him. I make him go a maximum of 2 classes over the weekend. He's currently only going for Chinese enrichment.

So far, he's been in English Phonics, Chinese, Piano, Abacus and Art classes. He quit Piano after a month as he found it boring. So he can't blame me for not letting him try. I took him out of Phonics after he could read fairly well. The abacus classes were time consuming on the parents with 10 pages of homework each week and my doctor friend told me abacus classes are useless if they don't use it in school everyday. Well, we all survived with our calculators anyway. Art was ok so we might resume that next year. I intend to send him for swimming and violin classes soon.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mrswongtuition » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:23 pm

cherrygal wrote:The abacus classes were time consuming on the parents with 10 pages of homework each week....

Can share which abacus class is this?
I've never heard of so much homework for abacus! :!:
I normally give less than 2 pages (with some already done together in class) of homework for abacus. Max is 4 pages per week which can be completed in less than 1 hour if the child is slower in class and can't finish alot during lessons.

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby snowman.697 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:22 pm

10 pages a week, not a day.

snowman.697
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby cherrygal » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:32 pm

The class was once a week, then she gave all the students about 10 pages to complete at home as practice. But how many 5-6yos can complete every sum on their own? So it was so taxing on my DH to coach him coz we both dunno abacus. My DS had to teach my DH the basics, my DH then read the notes and the 2 of them worked out the answers together...
The teacher is a lady from Taiwan.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Working With Your Child