Kids who stare at screens have psych problems

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Kids who stare at screens have psych problems

Postby teoman » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:09 am

This sort of affirm our practice to limit TV time to an hour a day (or two hours max for those days when we really need more time for chores or a break =]):

http://arstechnica.com/science/news/2010/10/screen-time-not-sitting-associated-with-psychological-problems.ars

teoman
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby snowman.697 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:36 pm

Seriously my parents should read this. My younger (read: BABY) sister watches tv for hours on end up till the point where no one else can watch.

snowman.697
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby duriz » Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:06 pm

snowman.697 wrote:Seriously my parents should read this. My younger (read: BABY) sister watches tv for hours on end up till the point where no one else can watch.

That's terrible snowman.697 :shock:
Too much of anything can be detrimental to one's health.
My DD is 1 year old and does not watch nor like tv, except for when we play her daily flashcard lessons.

duriz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby snowman.697 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:53 pm

yes... my dad stares at his laptop all day long, after he comes back from work. I do use quite a bit of com but I take regular eye breaks and go swimming on wed, thurs and fri weather permitting too, so it's okay.

snowman.697
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Kids who stare at screens have psych problems

Postby mintcc » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:49 pm

teoman wrote:This sort of affirm our practice to limit TV time to an hour a day (or two hours max for those days when we really need more time for chores or a break =]):

http://arstechnica.com/science/news/2010/10/screen-time-not-sitting-associated-with-psychological-problems.ars

Thanks for the info teoman :) Have been allowing my DS close to 2 hours of Okto lately, looks like it's time to cut down.

mintcc
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby livewith_vanilla » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:37 pm

My sister(5 yr old kid):

Morning wake up watch TV until go school.
Come home watch tv again until she sleeps or goes to play at the playground
Come home watch tv again all the way till 11pm +.

Everyday watch the same CD. Last time I slept with her, I memorised the CD contents already.><

Should go tell my mom to read the article. :P

livewith_vanilla
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Return to Working With Your Child