Possessive & Jealous

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Possessive & Jealous

Postby rockmoo » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:58 pm

My 2YO has become very possessive & jealous recently. In school, she'll stick with her fav friend and she'll only want her fav teacher to carry/feed/bath/play with her. She'll b very cranky if her fav teacher attend to some other child and neglect her.

Come next year, her fav teacher & friend will not be in the same class as hers. I can't imagine what will happen then.. how do i help my child to get through this stage?

rockmoo
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Possessive & Jealous

Postby ChiefKiasu » Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:03 pm

rockmoo wrote:My 2YO has become very possessive & jealous recently. In school, she'll stick with her fav friend and she'll only want her fav teacher to carry/feed/bath/play with her. She'll b very cranky if her fav teacher attend to some other child and neglect her.

Come next year, her fav teacher & friend will not be in the same class as hers. I can't imagine what will happen then.. how do i help my child to get through this stage?

Not to worry, it's just a phase they will grow out of. My daughter used to be that when she was 1-2yo.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby cnimed » Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:21 am

I won't call it jealous and posessive. It sounds more like stranger anxiety when children wants to stick closely to people they are familiar and comfortable with, especially caregivers (in this case, the teacher). To a large extent, this is because these are usually the people who understand what she needs and wants most.

It's a natural phase. Be patient and understanding. Help her bond with the new class, especially the teacher. If she has any particular quirks or preferences, inform the new class teacher beforehand.
cnimed
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Return to Working With Your Child