how to parent a boy (different from a girl)?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

how to parent a boy (different from a girl)?

Postby 24hr-mum » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:30 am

i got 2 girls and a boy. the boy has been hyperactive since birth (but tested dont hv adhd) but doesnt like to do wkshts, just like to play. so unlike my girls.

how to teach a boy differently from a girl?

24hr-mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: how to parent a boy (different from a girl)?

Postby peterch » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:52 am

lauren wrote:i got 2 girls and a boy. the boy has been hyperactive since birth (but tested dont hv adhd) but doesnt like to do wkshts, just like to play. so unlike my girls.

how to teach a boy differently from a girl?

My DS was almost the same when he was P2. Could you spare your time to accompany him to do the worksheets, make it as fun as it could be. I brought him to his favorite eating place and let him do the worksheet and eat there, then later I bought the food and brought home and DS did the worksheet at home until then my wife made some jelly or simple snacks for him so he could enjoy making the worksheets. Today DS enjoys his worksheets a lot :D not because of the food treats but he got used doing the worksheets :)

peterch
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby 24hr-mum » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:24 am

gd idea but not cheap leh.
i always hv to bribe him wf toys

24hr-mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:29 am

My son is in P4. When he was in P1/2, I literally have to sit beside him when he does his homework/assessment book or he would be daydreaming. If I have to answer a phone call or go to the loo, he would be following me. Really tough then.
Now, I can leave him on his own, but work attitude, he has poor attention span and tends to slip shod. All his answers are always missing out keywords, be it English or Chinese. Maths, worse. He will leave out units of measurement. :cry:

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Trapwithin » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:26 am

I do not have a son.
However, I heard from others that parents need to be accompanied them in the early P1/P2 years to instill the learning habits.

Trapwithin
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:36 am

I also do not have a son but I think it is easier to bring up a son.

Postby csc » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:40 am

think there is a book on 'Bringing up Boys' by James Dobson that gives a good perspective on that.

You may want to get hold of it.

I have a boy and a girl each. DH has higher expectations on the boy than the girl. He loves them both but is 'harder' on the boy...which my boy sometimes felt that he was not 'favoured' by the dad.

As for me, I bond better with my gal cos we r best friends who love to shop and yak abt nonsensical stuff...but with my son, we talk more philosophical stuff cos he's a thinker... :D like dad. :roll:

my gal is a dreamer like mum. :wink:

csc
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:48 am

csc wrote:I have a boy and a girl each. DH has higher expectations on the boy than the girl. He loves them both but is 'harder' on the boy...which my boy sometimes felt that he was not 'favoured' by the dad.

As for me, I bond better with my gal cos we r best friends who love to shop and yak abt nonsensical stuff...but with my son, we talk more philosophical stuff cos he's a thinker... :D like dad. :roll:

my gal is a dreamer like mum. :wink:

I have a daughter, turning 6 next mth. She's young but mature at times (when she throws a tantrum, it's hard to handle her but still trying to teach her why it is wrong). We love to shop and she loves the things I am crazy over...like Hello Kitty :wink:

Hubby is harder on son too...keeps thinking of drilling him on certain stuff like IT and Science. With my son, we have secrets strictly between us both.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jedamum » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:00 am

ksi wrote:I also do not have a son but I think it is easier to bring up a son.
:imcool:
yes...i find it easier to bring up boys, since dh has lesser mercy for boys than girls. :wink:

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby 24hr-mum » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:06 am

oh my boy is like janet_lee88's.
tho just k1, cant sit still without nonsense when doing wksheets
like to drop pencil, disturb his elder and younger sisters.
do very little and alwayz complain why so much work (even do 1 or 2 pg to him is a lot)
my girls can complete whole stack of work.

24hr-mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Working With Your Child