3 yo doesn't want to wear new clothes

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

3 yo doesn't want to wear new clothes

Postby liz2010 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:55 am

Hi, my son is like that. I know an other friend has the same problem. But it didn't last long. With my son, it's already been for more than 6 months. What should I do?

liz2010
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby auntieM » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:59 pm

Perhaps you can try 'seasoning' the new baju in softeners first.. it works for my DS.. :wink:

auntieM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Quintessential Mum » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:00 pm

Sounds great! Can save money! He he he....Just kidding! If only i can get my teenage daughter to do that!

Is it because he likes the colour/texture/characters on the clothes? Have you asked him the reason? :wink:

Quintessential Mum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby liz2010 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:53 am

yes, I asked why. He just answered he doesn't like. I bought some with the same shape or colour, just the pattern is different. But still he doesn't want. A friend's son was the same but it lasts a couple of months only!

liz2010
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby buds » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:41 am

For my DD2 last time the fault lies with the tag at the back of the clothes.
Then, there's also the smell of new clothes that she was put off by. So
you may consider washing the clothes first prior to letting the child
wear it. Also, you need not declare it is new. :wink:

The other thing that irritated my DD2 was those gold and silver threads
that itched big time... so very hard to let her don nice girly clothes. :P

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby peterch » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:54 am

My DS and DD always ask their mummy to remove the brand and size tag...... until now..... :D

peterch
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby cnimed » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:03 pm

My MIL still removes all the tags. :) A few months is nothing. Just remove the irritating stuff or soften the clothes before wearing. It's quite a common complaint among both children AND adults. In fact my hubby reminded me to start washing ds's new uniform now so that it will be all nuah by next yr, lol. Just throw the clothes in everytime you do a load, wash and dry, wash and dry, u get the picture...
cnimed
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: 3 yo doesn't want to wear new clothes

Postby justcoping » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:11 pm

My son is 12 years old and he still insists that all labels be snipped off. I also have a BIG problem convincing him to wear the new clothes that I've purchased. Solution: Stop buying new clothes and get hand-me-downs. I end up saving $ and he is HAPPY :D

justcoping
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby liz2010 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:20 pm

deminc wrote:My MIL still removes all the tags. :) A few months is nothing. Just remove the irritating stuff or soften the clothes before wearing. It's quite a common complaint among both children AND adults. In fact my hubby reminded me to start washing ds's new uniform now so that it will be all nuah by next yr, lol. Just throw the clothes in everytime you do a load, wash and dry, wash and dry, u get the picture...

that could be the solution. I always wash the kids new clothes before they wear it. Maybe if I wash them many times, he will think it's an old one. But then again, sometimes, he doesn't notice immediately it's a new cloth. And as soon as he notices it's new, he wants to change!
I never removed the tags, even when they were baby, so I don't think it's the problem. But I'll give it a try.

liz2010
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Quintessential Mum » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:29 am

Please wash new clothes before wearing them as they may not be very clean (you never know who tried before you) and there may still have chemicals on them. :wink:

Quintessential Mum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Working With Your Child